ANNOUNCE: Orca 0.25 released

  • Blair Zajac
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 1999
      New in Orca version 0.25.
      1) I have moved companies from Yahoo!/GeoCities to Akamai. My email
      address has changed to blair@... and the old one will
      no longer work. Also, I have moved the my entire Orca archive
      from www.geocities.com/~bzking/ to www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/
      2) Fix an important bug where Orca would crash if column names mentioned
      in the configuration file did not exist in the source data files.
      3) Orca, when it received the HUP signal, will look for new source
      data files the next time it runs through the main loop. If you have
      a constantly running Orca, this is a simpler and faster solution
      than restarting Orca, which takes time to reread all the source files.
      4) Add a new make target orcallator_run_at_boot which will install the
      proper files into the proper /etc/*.d/ directories to start orcallator
      at boot time and shut it down at halt time.
      5) The previous default orcallator.cfg would not find compressed
      orcallator files.
      6) Remove the plot configuration option `optional' which made plots
      optional. Now make plots optional by default and use the keyword
      `required' to make them required. If a plot is required, then it
      will always display, even if there is no data loaded for it.
      7) Change the behavior of warnings when data requested to be plotted
      in the configuration file does not exist in the source data files.
      Any resulting errors from this, such as cannot compile errors,
      are only sent when the verbose level is above 1 or when the plot
      is required.
      8) Include Storable 0.6.7 but continue to only require Storable 0.6.3.

      About Orca

      Orca is a freely available, general use tool that collects numerical data
      from text files and using a configuration file that defines the data,
      generates a tree of HTML files that contain daily, weekly, monthly,
      quarterly, and yearly views of the data. A well designed configuration
      allows the user to view the same data from different sources, such as CPU
      usage across many hosts, or many different data from the same source.

      Bundled with Orca is a SE toolkit program orcallator.se that gathers many
      different system statistics for Solaris based systems, such as web server
      hits per second, CPU usage, hme0 bits/second, disk usage and run percent,
      page usage, etc.

      Orca's NEW home page is

      http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/

      To see what Orca and orcallator can do, check out

      http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/orca-example/

      To get Orca, go to

      http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/pub/

      and get orca-0.25.tar.gz.

      This version of orca includes the latest version of orcallator, 1.20.

      For any discussions regarding Orca, please direct your email to one
      of the Orca mailing lists. For this list, please see

      http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/#mailing_lists

      Please contact me via email at blair@....

      Enjoy,
      Blair

      PS To continue development of Orca, I'm looking for some people who
      would be willing to have a link from my pages to your Orca pages to
      show that Orca is being used.