Outlanders feature Richard Underhill at Orbit Room tonight, Aug. 17

  • gary17inorbit
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2009

      Outlanders feature Richard Underhill at Orbit Room tonight, Aug. 17

      A young band that deserves a much bigger following than what we've seen in recent turnouts at Toronto's Orbit Room when they play Mondays, The Outlanders are brilliant emerging players who remind me a lot of Kevin Breit and Sisters Euclid when they first started at the room nearly 15 years ago.

      As their bio states: "the musicians unite diverse musical backgrounds to form the band's unique sound: Joel Schwartz (guitar), and Bret Higgins (bass) contribute jazz, folk and rock sensibilities, while Joanna Borromeo (keyboards) brings classical and R&B influences and drummer Josh Van Tassel experiments with electronic music."

      The result is a sound that one critic calls "Desert Jazz", with elements of haunting danger and majestic beauty rubbing up against and over and under one another and coalescing like a couple of continental plates combining to form a new terra firma.

      The band has the next three Monday nights to itself at the club, upstairs at 580 College St. a stone's throw east of Clinton St., and needs a good turnout to keep the vibe going into the fall.

      Tonight they'll have one of Toronto's most revered sax players and inventive accompanists, Richard Underhill, joining them in what should be a landmark night in their evolution and one you'll remember for a long time to come. Show starts at 9 sharp, doors open at 8 and things are usually wrapped by 1 a.m. –though I'm sure if there's a packed house demanding more these future stars will comply!

      See ya in Orbit!