God's Will/New Years' Prayer

  • lighthousemedia2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      Happy New Year and God Bless You All!!

      As we think back on the most pivotal moments in our salvation
      history, they were accomplished by giving in to the will of God:
      -When the Father sent his Son into the world, it required the
      simple "yes" to God's will from our Holy Mother Mary ("I am the
      handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word."
      Lk 1:38).
      - When our Blessed Lord was preparing for His Passion, which would
      benefit the whole world, He too had to give in to the will of the
      Father. ("Abba, Father, all things are possible to you. Take this
      cup away from me, but not what I will but what you will." Mk 14:36)

      God's will has a plan for us. God's time and God's will are not our
      time and our will. We have desires, and it is right to pray in
      petition to God for what we want, but we must recognize that our
      wants are not necessarily what we need in God's plan for our life.
      We must recognize that sometimes God says "no" or "not now" when we
      ask him for things. Above all our prayer must be that God's will be
      done in our life ("...thy will be done...")and the prayer of St.
      Faustina "Jesus I trust in you!"

      May this new year evoke a renewal of openness to God's will in our
      lives and a lasting trust in his Son Jesus.

      "O God, who has mercifully and patiently led me through this busy
      year, giving me more than I asked or deserved, grant me at this holy
      season the grace of Jesus Christ. Let his spirit, the spirit of the
      little child, now as it knocks at the hearts of men, enter into my
      own life and bless it.

      At other times I have asked that I may do my duty; today I ask for
      more. Let duty become touched with beauty for me, and justice be
      forgotten in love. May my obligations be turned into opportunities,
      and each one be filled with joy.

      Let my ears hear the cry of the needy and my heart feel the love of
      the unlovely. Give my hands strength not to do great things, but to
      do small things graciously. And teach me to accept kindness with
      humility.

      As the old year ends and the New Year begins, grant me peace in my
      own heart, your peace, which in turn I may radiate to others; that
      those I love and those I want to help may find sweet joy and rest in
      you. Amen"

      Peace to you. Happy New Year. Please pray for me and my intentions
      as I pray for you and yours. Nate