Prayer

  • sue_stone@stonesneatstuff.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2004
      In our need to say mine
      when our fellow man has nothing,
      dear Lord, forgive us.

      In our greed to have best
      when it deprives others of all,
      dear Lord, forgive us.

      In our need to call good
      that which we know is hurtful,
      dear Lord, forgive us.

      In our desire to justify
      that which you say no to,
      dear Lord, forgive us.

      Help us, Lord,
      to see what the result of our choices are.

      Help us, Lord,
      and open our eyes
      when we try to justify the wrong
      that we long to do,
      and in your name.

      Help us, Lord,
      to be thankful
      and know that we are the stewards,
      not the owners,
      of the good you send our way.

      Help us, Lord,
      to remember that you give to us
      that we might give,
      following the way you showed us.

      Help us, Lord,
      to be generous of heart
      with the love you give us,
      the time you give us,
      the goods you give us,
      the skills you give us,
      as you were generous to us.

      Amen.

      Sue Stone
      sue_stone@...
    • sue_stone@stonesneatstuff.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 22, 2004
        O Lord,
        When I taste the bile of anger
        watching what evil men do,
        how they strike out
        with hate
        and anger
        to hurt,
        to raise fear,
        teach me Lord
        to respond as you would,
        to love instead of hate,
        to build up
        instead of rip down,
        to give
        for the glory of God
        instead of take
        for the glory of me.

        Amen.

        Sue Stone
        sue_stone@...
      • sue
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6 9:03 AM
          Sometimes, Lord,
          I wonder
          Why here, God? Why not over there?
          as you tug on my life,
          shatter my illusions,
          reform my expectations, desires, concepts,
          opening one door,
          closing another
          as you move me along to where you want to be.

          Sometimes, Lord,
          I am confused.
          Help me to accept the road you would have me take,
          the place where you want to use me,
          and give me the wisdom to see
          and the grace to accept
          the path you are opening before me.

          Block my attempts to go elsewhere,
          for I am stubborn
          and tug at the leash,
          filled with ideas of nice things that could be one,
          but are obviously not what you want me to do
          nor where you are leading me.

          Fill my heart with that humility
          that says, like Mary,
          be it done to me
          according to your word,
          and that acceptance that joins Jesus in saying,
          not my will, but yours.

          Amen.

          Sue Stone
          sue_stone@...
        • sue
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 18, 2005
            O Lord,
            there are times
            when the darkness seems so deep,
            and the way so heavy,
            and the cross you have given us to bear
            rubs hard against our shoulders.

            When the darkness is at its deepest,
            be our strength.
            Be our light when we see no way out.
            Be our hope when the hope we expect
            dries up in our worries and our griefs.

            When the darkness takes our voices away,
            let our silence come to you,
            more poignant and deep than any words,
            and fill our spirit
            with your words.

            And in the end, Lord,
            help us stay upon that path
            until the dawn comes,
            and we see your smiling face
            and your outstretched hand
            there to bring us home.

            Sue Stone
            sue_stone@...
          • marciapsrteacher
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 29, 2005
              ---
              Thank you for postin gthis prayer. I needed it!
              In orapronobis@yahoogroups.com, sue <sue_stone@s...> wrote:
              > O Lord,
              > there are times
              > when the darkness seems so deep,
              > and the way so heavy,
              > and the cross you have given us to bear
              > rubs hard against our shoulders.
              >
              > When the darkness is at its deepest,
              > be our strength.
              > Be our light when we see no way out.
              > Be our hope when the hope we expect
              > dries up in our worries and our griefs.
              >
              > When the darkness takes our voices away,
              > let our silence come to you,
              > more poignant and deep than any words,
              > and fill our spirit
              > with your words.
              >
              > And in the end, Lord,
              > help us stay upon that path
              > until the dawn comes,
              > and we see your smiling face
              > and your outstretched hand
              > there to bring us home.
              >
              > Sue Stone
              > sue_stone@s...
            • sue
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 5, 2005
                O Lord,
                there are moments that we don't understand
                the chaos you present us with,
                the darkness of the road ahead,
                the pain and the suffering and grief.

                In those moments when I want to scream out "Why me?"
                let me hear your voice say "Why not you?"
                and teach me the right questions to ask,
                how to be salt and light even when the darkness surrounds me,
                how to say, "Where does it hurt?",
                and "What can I do?"
                and the hardest thing of all, "Help!"

                May I this day, and always,
                see Christ in those you put before me,
                even when anger percolates through my heart
                and I want to reach out and hit something,
                even when tears touch my heart and eyes,
                and I want to roll into a ball,
                even when I have no answers,
                except to remember you,
                and the darkest of days,
                and how you gave all.

                O Lord,
                teach me to love as you love,
                this day and always,
                Amen.
              • Paula Grant
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Prayer for Wise Governance

                  Heavenly Father, we give thanks for the democracy alive in our country and for the freedom to worship You. Help the elected government and all in positions of power and authority to govern wisely and for the common good of all. Amen.

                  - Harvey Barnes

                • sue
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 9, 2005
                    In our hour of weakness, Lord,
                    soften our hearts,
                    pierce through our anger
                    and tears
                    and self-righteousness
                    and guilt
                    and fear,
                    that we may lift our eyes
                    to that hill
                    where comes our help,
                    to that place,
                    where weakened and bleeding
                    and walking through your own shadow of the valley of death,
                    you bought life for all of us
                    who will answer your call.

                    Lord,
                    be this day with those of us who are facing
                    the death of all we have loved,
                    as we paw through the rubble of our lives
                    with bleeding hands,
                    searching in grief and sadness.
                    Open the doors we need,
                    and in our unconsolable moment,
                    hold us tight
                    in the palm of your hand.

                    And may those of us this day
                    blessed not to be suffering under the burden of crisis,
                    hear your call
                    to be your hands, and feet, and voice
                    and respond as you would have us do.

                    Amen.

                    Sue Stone
                    sue_stone@...
                  • sue
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 30, 2005
                      Forgive us, Lord,
                      For all the hours of speculating
                      on the mechanics of your grace
                      instead of living as salt and light,
                      your beacons to a dark and sinful world.

                      Forgive us Lord,
                      for all the hours we argue
                      about the right method of prayer
                      instead of praying,
                      humble and grateful.

                      Forgive us Lord,
                      For all the ways
                      We cut those who are different than we,
                      Instead of seeing them as beloved by you,
                      and deserving of our love.

                      Forgive us Lord
                      For all the ways we try to decide
                      if a person is deserving of our help
                      instead of seeing him
                      as sent by you
                      so we can act with the love you taught us.

                      Forgive us, Lord,
                      for all of the petty ways we subvert your word.
                      Fill our hearts,
                      cleanse us of the darkness
                      that keeps us from you,
                      from being your tool
                      this day and always,
                      Amen.

                      Sue Stone
                      sue_stone@...
                    • sue
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2005
                        /Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for
                        theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when men revile you
                        and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my
                        account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for
                        so men persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5: 10-12/

                        O my Jesus,
                        how clear it becomes that the world does not know you,
                        does not love you,
                        does not want you,
                        Nor does it want we who follow you
                        to remind them of what they have rejected.

                        And yet, O my Jesus,
                        In in you is life, and the life is the light of men.
                        You are the light that shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not
                        overcome it,
                        although how mightily it strives,
                        with anger and rage and seduction and masquerade,
                        trying to make you into just a little god,
                        powerless to renew.

                        But Jesus,
                        We know you are our Emmanuel,
                        God with us,
                        the Word who became flesh and dwelt among us.
                        Help us not to be amazed
                        when we see how much the world hates us for loving you,
                        for the world rejected you,
                        rejects you,
                        and tries to kill the light you shed upon the earth.

                        Help us, those who follow you,
                        those who taste the lash of persecution
                        in large ways and in little,
                        who see the hatred of men who despise them
                        for walking in your way,
                        who see the hatred of men who despise them
                        for not helping them cover up
                        the truth of your light with excuses and explanations,
                        help us when we see those trying to filter your light
                        so it doesn't blind them with the truth of their wrong,
                        who would still your message so they could rejoice in their sins,
                        who would still your light so they could live in the dark.

                        Lord, help each and everyone who loves you
                        to stand firm,
                        to be a lantern filled with your light,
                        a lighthouse in the storm,
                        a city on the hill, impossible to hide,
                        salt to preserve,
                        leaven to make life filled with the possibilities of heaven.

                        May those whose lives we touch see how good your light is,
                        how heavy the darkness,
                        and how sweet is our home with you,
                        this day, and always, Amen.

                        Sue Stone
                        sue_stone@...

                      • sue
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 10, 2005
                          Dear Lord,
                          Forgive us of all the time we waste
                          splitting hairs with one another,
                          arguing over and over again
                          while Satan laughs
                          as in our ire and angst and dismay
                          we do not give that drink of water
                          because we have to prove our point,
                          we ignore the stranger in need
                          because we have to research a scholar,
                          we leave the naked unclothed
                          because someone refuses to budge
                          and accept the interpretation we give.

                          Forgive us, Lord,
                          when in our desire to honor you,
                          we do those things
                          which do not spread your light,
                          we don't do those things
                          you want us to do,
                          when the desire to be vindicated
                          becomes more important than living your way.

                          Teach us, Lord,
                          when to debate,
                          when to say enough is enough,
                          when to stand up and be counted,
                          when to give the word that will heal an aching soul,
                          how to be your light in a sin-tossed world,
                          how to love.

                          And may the dark one never use our zeal for your glory
                          to his own advantage,
                          this day and always, Amen
                        • sue
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 25, 2005
                            O my God,
                            You who send to my soul the tendrils of peace and joy and love
                            I do not deserve,
                            I have not earned,
                            I am not entitled to,
                            You who wash away my guilt,
                            Forgive my wrongs,
                            Lead me ever down the paths of your righteousness
                            For your reasons, not mine,
                            Who pulls me up the road to Zion
                            Step by hard step,
                            Making the way, though hard at times,
                            Full of joy and light ,
                            A blessing
                            Because you are with me,
                            And even when I am in the darkest shadows,
                            Touched with the fear of loss,
                            The hand of privation,
                            The weight of grief,
                            When I can see no way out,
                            You are with me,
                            Holding me, sometimes unseen,
                            Sometimes, in my grief, even forgotten for the moment,
                            Wrapped forever in your loving hand.
                            O greatest of Lovers,
                            You who fashioned all,
                            You who came into this world you created
                            Marred by human willfulness,
                            To live as one of us,
                            To draw us to yourself,
                            To suffer for us,
                            To lead us home,
                            O Master, teach us to be still,
                            And know that you are God,
                            This day and always,
                            Amen.
                          • Paula Grant
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 26, 2005
                              PERSONAL PRAYER

                              Today, in my own private way, I want to join in the message that the angels sang: 'Glory to God in the highest, and peace on earth to people of goodwill'.

                              I am happy that you, Christ, were born for me and for all humankind. I´d like my life to reflect your peace and your goodwill. I´d love to be fully aware of the meaning of the mystery of your birth on earth.

                              You are the true light that enlightens all. All that comes into the world has light through you. Every living thing has life through you, the Light that shines in the dark, the Light, the powers of darkness cannot overcome. You came to your people, who did not accept you. But to those who did accept you, you gave them power to become children of God. I am one of those children.

                              I accepted you in baptism. I need your help to remain one of your faithful followers and to relish all the days of my life the full meaning of this tremendous phrase: 'The Word became flesh and lived among us'. Amen.

                            • sue
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
                                Out of the depths I cry unto you,
                                O Lord,
                                My Light and my Hope.

                                The darkness is deep today,
                                O Lord,
                                and I feel the waters rising
                                that threaten to sweep me away,
                                and in my fear
                                and in my anxiety
                                and in my hope
                                and in my longing,
                                I cry out to you.

                                Lord,
                                From dust you made me,
                                to dust will my body return,
                                but it is you who put the life in me,
                                it was you who breathed his last
                                so that I might live,
                                it was you who shattered death
                                so that you might take me home.
                                In the darkness of my fears
                                show me Golgotha, Lord,
                                that I might kneel
                                in the shadow of your cross
                                and see how much you care.
                                In the depths of my anxieties, O Lord,
                                show me your empty tomb,
                                and the hope you left with us
                                so we know your word is true.
                                When I feel so overwhelmed,
                                show me the Garden,
                                and how you sanctified the struggle
                                to do the right thing,
                                the Father's will
                                with your own dark moment.

                                O Lord,
                                who lets my cry come unto you,
                                who sends back the word,
                                "I know.
                                I am there with you.
                                I will never leave you alone,"
                                I trust in you,
                                be thou my strength,
                                my life,
                                my hope,
                                this day and always,

                                Amen.
                              • Paula Grant
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 6, 2007
                                  PRAYER TO KEEP THE PRESENCE OF GOD

                                  Lord, God Almighty, you have brought us safely to
                                  the beginning of this day. Defend us today by your
                                  mighty power, so that we may not fall into any sin,
                                  and that all our words may proceed and all our
                                  thoughts and actions be so directed as to be always
                                  just in your sight.Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

                                • sue
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 29, 2007
                                    Let us pray this day, this moment for all those victims of injustice and
                                    rage,
                                    those chosen as easy targets by weakness, poorness, age
                                    Injured through life by those who chose selfishness and lust and greed,
                                    Indifference, revenge, selfrighteousness and all the other seed
                                    We use to harm each other.

                                    Lord hear our prayer.

                                    We pray, O Lord,
                                    For all those babies conceived, never to see the day,
                                    for all those killed through violence because they were in the way
                                    for all those touched by terrorism, exploding in the night
                                    for all those harmed by their loved ones, their pain in open sight
                                    for all those marred by war, and the chains of hate it breeds,
                                    for all those who die marked by our indiference as we ignore their needs,

                                    Lord hear our prayer.

                                    Forgive us, O Lord,
                                    For all those times when we did the deed,
                                    Turning our backs on someone we knew was in need,
                                    For all those times when we were hurried, late, or busy
                                    And pretended as we walked on that we just didn't see
                                    For all the times we let injustice pass us by without a sound,
                                    Knowing some other spokesperson was sure to be found,
                                    For all those times we didn't think to share,
                                    Deceiving ourselves, perhaps, because we didn't really care.
                                    Forgive us for all those times we said the word we knew would hurt,
                                    Wanting to see our enemy wallowing in the dirt.
                                    For all those times we didn't write the letter, pay a visit, make the
                                    call,
                                    for all those times we had to be right even if it meant hurting one and all.
                                    Forgive us, Lord, for those we've touched by our own wrongdoing,
                                    when we could have been the tool of your choosing.

                                    Lord, hear our prayer.

                                    Lord, teach us this day to see the need, to feel our brother's pain,
                                    To see with eyes touched by not by dark, but with your light again,
                                    To know that in our brother's ills, you touch our hearts with light
                                    By letting us care for you by caring for his plight.
                                    Forgive us, Lord our hardness, and take our hearts of stone,
                                    And give us hearts that know your love and that you keep as your own.

                                    Amen.
                                  • Loyan
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 1, 2011
                                      Please, I have a prayer request. I am going through a situation in my life that is really challenging and I feel all alone. I recently lost my baby through an accident and I have failed to get the reason why he died mysteriously. Please pray with me, help me pray. I want to be strong again and I want to know God more.

                                      Thank you

                                      Loyan.