Daily Readings

  • Justin Bohon
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1, 2010
      Saturday, May 01, 2010
      St. Joseph the Worker (Optional Memorial)

      Genesis 1: 26 - 31

      Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."

      So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

      And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."

      And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.

      And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.

      And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day.

      Genesis 2: 1 - 3

      Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

      And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done.

      So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation.

      Psalms 90: 2 - 4, 12 - 14, 16

      Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting thou art God.

      Thou turnest man back to the dust, and sayest, "Turn back, O children of men!"

      For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.

      So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.

      Return, O LORD! How long? Have pity on thy servants!

      Satisfy us in the morning with thy steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

      Let thy work be manifest to thy servants, and thy glorious power to their children.

      Matthew 13: 54 - 58

      and coming to his own country he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?

      Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

      And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all this?"

      And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house."

      And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

    • Justin Bohon
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 25, 2010
        Friday, June 25, 2010

        2 Kings 25: 1 - 12

        And in the ninth year of his reign, in the tenth month, on the tenth day of the month, Nebuchadnez'zar king of Babylon came with all his army against Jerusalem, and laid siege to it; and they built siegeworks against it round about.

        So the city was besieged till the eleventh year of King Zedeki'ah.

        On the ninth day of the fourth month the famine was so severe in the city that there was no food for the people of the land.

        Then a breach was made in the city; the king with all the men of war fled by night by the way of the gate between the two walls, by the king's garden, though the Chalde'ans were around the city. And they went in the direction of the Arabah.

        But the army of the Chalde'ans pursued the king, and overtook him in the plains of Jericho; and all his army was scattered from him.

        Then they captured the king, and brought him up to the king of Babylon at Riblah, who passed sentence upon him.

        They slew the sons of Zedeki'ah before his eyes, and put out the eyes of Zedeki'ah, and bound him in fetters, and took him to Babylon.

        In the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month -- which was the nineteenth year of King Nebuchadnez'zar, king of Babylon -- Nebu'zarad'an, the captain of the bodyguard, a servant of the king of Babylon, came to Jerusalem.

        And he burned the house of the LORD, and the king's house and all the houses of Jerusalem; every great house he burned down.

        And all the army of the Chalde'ans, who were with the captain of the guard, broke down the walls around Jerusalem.

        And the rest of the people who were left in the city and the deserters who had deserted to the king of Babylon, together with the rest of the multitude, Nebu'zarad'an the captain of the guard carried into exile.

        But the captain of the guard left some of the poorest of the land to be vinedressers and plowmen.

        Psalms 137: 1 - 6

        By the waters of Babylon, there we sat down and wept, when we remembered Zion.

        On the willows there we hung up our lyres.

        For there our captors required of us songs, and our tormentors, mirth, saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

        How shall we sing the LORD's song in a foreign land?

        If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither!

        Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy!

        Matthew 8: 1 - 4

        When he came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him;

        and behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."

        And he stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

        And Jesus said to him, "See that you say nothing to any one; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a proof to the people."