<*}}}>< Friendship bears fruit both in this life and the next

  • Sue Cifelli
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Friendship bears fruit both in this life and the next

      In human life nothing holier can be desired, nothing more useful
      sought after, nothing is harder to find, nothing sweeter to
      experience, nothing more fruitful to possess than friendship. For it
      bears fruit both in this life and the next, showing forth all virtues
      in its sweetness and in its strength destroying vice. It softens the
      blows of adversity and moderates elation in prosperity. Without
      friendship there can be hardly any happiness among humans; they may
      well be compared to animals if they have no one to rejoice with them
      in good fortune or sympathize with them in sorrow, no one to whom
      they can unburden themselves in time of trouble, or with whom they
      can share some especially uplifting or inspiring insight.

      Alas for anyone who is alone and has no one to lift him up when he
      falls. Without a friend one is indeed alone. But what joy it is, what
      security, what a delight to have someone to whom you dare to speak as
      to another self; to whom you are not afraid to admit that you have
      done something wrong, or shy of revealing some spiritual progress you
      have made; someone to whom you can entrust all the secrets of your
      heart and with whom you can share your plans.

      ~ St. Aelred of Rievaulx

      <*}}}>< <http://www.halfthekingdom.org/wordpress/>Half the Kingdom!
      Blog <*}}}><
      <*}}}>< <http://www.halfthekingdom.org/>Half the Kingdom! Main Site <*}}}><

      Lord, may everything we do begin with Your inspiration and continue
      with Your help,
      so that all our prayers and works may begin in You and by You be happily ended.
      We ask this through Christ our Lord.
      Amen.

    • Sue Cifelli
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2008
[...]