Re: OPML Editor and IE 7 working yet?

  • Stan Krute
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi Andrew

      I think I've hit the same bug.

      > It's the htmlcontrol that renders Harry S and the status message.
      If you
      > edit the source db to prevent its invocation, the app launches and
      runs fine
      > (assuming you don't need anything that was exposed in the html).

      Can you provide any more specifics as to the fix ?

      thx

      -- stan
    • Stan Krute
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2007
        A bit more information:

        I downloaded a fresh OPML Editor from http://support.opml.org/download

        It crashes about 5 seconds into startup, after the main window has
        appeared
        but before anything else has happened, with the following error signature:

        AppName: opml.exe AppVer: 10.1.0.8 ModName: ntdll.dll
        ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00001010

        This is on a machine with XP SP2, all security updates installed, IE7
        installed.

        I've been running Radio Userland 8.1 on this machine, so I went and
        uninstalled that
        and scoured the Windows Registry to remove all references to Radio,
        Userland,
        and Frontier. Just on the small chance some conflicts were occurring.
        Didn't fix things.

        I uninstalled IE7 from one of my machines and there was no problem
        with OPML Editor

        -- stan
      • Tom Morris
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2007
          On 2/26/07, kossopml <camoby@...> wrote:
          > therein lies my conundrum. i cannot edit the db without launching the
          > app - surely?
          >
          > thanks Andrew

          Andrew's idea of downloading Frontier and editing the file is a pretty
          good one actually. I've run Frontier on both my PC and Mac and it's
          easy to install (I keep an unmodified copy installed on both machines
          just in case). You just go to frontierkernel.org, download the
          executable and install it.

          Then open it up, and open your opml.root (I presume the problem is in
          there - if not, perhaps it's in DotOpml.root - Kosso you seem to know
          where it is, you just can't change it because of the crash) file using
          the Open command in Frontier. Then edit the database, hit save, close
          Frontier and open up OPML. If you could find out what exactly you have
          to change in the database to get it working, then we could quite
          easily put up a tutorial on how to get OPML to work with IE7. Perhaps
          the folks at frontierkernel.org will host such a tutorial on their
          wiki.

          I've heard reports from the Frontier people that Frontier is running
          great in Vista for any potential - err - upgraders ('suckers' is the
          proper word, imho). It seems that the IE7 thing is the only problem
          that one would need to solve if one wants to run the OPML Editor on
          Vista.

          --
          Tom Morris
          http://blogs.opml.org/tommorris
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
            I'm no techie, but I figured out a workaround to this problem so that
            I could trial the OPML Editor. It seemed to me that the hang-up was
            when the program attempted to go to the url specified in the html
            template file (can't remember the name of it since I have already
            uninstalled the application...but it is in the "HTML" directory) and
            download the Harry Truman photo. I first simply changed the url in
            the left frame to a local photo, but the program automatically
            altered the file and reinserted the remote url. So, I altered the
            file again, but then made it read-only before restarting OPML Editor.
            Voila...it opened with no crashes, and I could use it to do local
            editing of opml files. There still seemed to be a problem, however,
            with signing up for a hosted blog account. This didn't really bother
            me, since I intended to use the application for editing local opml
            files only. Hope this helps those who are trying to trial this
            application, and are not inclined to download Frontier to alter the
            source code, or uninstall IE7 just to do so.

            On a related note, would one of you programming geniuses out there
            who may read this post PLEASE develop a competent OPML editor? I am
            an avid outliner, and would love to blog using an outliner, but I
            refuse to put loads of data into a proprietary format and then risk
            not being able to transfer it when the application becomes
            abandonware. I love the concept of OPML: simple, single-pane, text-
            based, etc. But Dave Winer's OPML Editor is obviously not completed,
            and apparently is not a priority for him, since development is slow,
            and response to issues like this one (IE7 crash) is non-existent. I
            have trialed other offerings with OPML capability, but most of them
            seem to be hobby projects, and are not actively developed or fully
            supported. I, for one, believe in compensation for work, and would
            happily pay $40-50 for a good, fully supported and actively developed
            OPML outliner. For now, I guess it is back to Treepad Lite...not
            ideal, but text-based, and it works.
          • blogHUD
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
              i'm going to give Frontier a quick go.  (Never tried to before)

              But I dont have much time to fiddle, if I can't 'get it' straight away.

              busybusy ;) (*which is why I want the OPML Editor working, to be honest ;) *

              cheer all!

              ps: I do think it's high time the fresh OPML.zip download was updated/fixed to deal with this.

              On 3/4/07, Tom Morris <bbtommorris@...> wrote:

              On 2/26/07, kossopml <camoby@...> wrote:
              > therein lies my conundrum. i cannot edit the db without launching the
              > app - surely?
              >
              > thanks Andrew

              Andrew's idea of downloading Frontier and editing the file is a pretty
              good one actually. I've run Frontier on both my PC and Mac and it's
              easy to install (I keep an unmodified copy installed on both machines
              just in case). You just go to frontierkernel.org, download the
              executable and install it.

              Then open it up, and open your opml.root (I presume the problem is in
              there - if not, perhaps it's in DotOpml.root - Kosso you seem to know
              where it is, you just can't change it because of the crash) file using
              the Open command in Frontier. Then edit the database, hit save, close
              Frontier and open up OPML. If you could find out what exactly you have
              to change in the database to get it working, then we could quite
              easily put up a tutorial on how to get OPML to work with IE7. Perhaps
              the folks at frontierkernel.org will host such a tutorial on their
              wiki.

              I've heard reports from the Frontier people that Frontier is running
              great in Vista for any potential - err - upgraders ('suckers' is the
              proper word, imho). It seems that the IE7 thing is the only problem
              that one would need to solve if one wants to run the OPML Editor on
              Vista.

              --
              Tom Morris
              http://blogs.opml.org/tommorris

            • kossopml
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                Hi caincons.

                Good idea! Editing the OPML\Appearance\html\background.html to change
                the frameset src urls did the trick BUT only after setting it as Read
                Only.

                - then the registration dialog popped up ok. (I had initially
                wondered if it was the dialog window causing the crash)

                Regarding previous ideas to fix (thx Andrew/Tom, etc.) :

                1. I downloaded Frontier and opened OPML/Tools/dotOpml.root
                2. Located dotOpmlSuite.mdiWindow.data.htmltext.tools
                3. Removed images from the 'viewTools window (left frame)
                4. I opened dotOpmlSuite.mdiWindow.data.htmltext.main
                5. I edited the frameset urls (to try and stop the normal ('harry
                image') left frame from appearing.
                6. Saved and closed these files
                7. Run OPML.exe

                What I expected:
                - I expected this to work

                What actually happened:
                - Same crash as before.

                So, the only way I did get this to run was to make the background.html
                file read only.

                I thought the Frontier method would work, and I can't figure out why
                it didn't.

                To the person who wrote about the OPML Editor and jsut want it for
                OPML editing: while it's the same OPML editor (so you might still
                lack the features you want) you could use the Outliner in Frontier.
                It's also free.

                --- In opmlsupport@yahoogroups.com, "caincons" <cain@...> wrote:

                > I'm no techie, but I figured out a workaround to this problem so that
                > I could trial the OPML Editor. It seemed to me that the hang-up was
                > when the program attempted to go to the url specified in the html
                > template file (can't remember the name of it since I have already
                > uninstalled the application...but it is in the "HTML" directory) and
                > download the Harry Truman photo. I first simply changed the url in
                > the left frame to a local photo, but the program automatically
                > altered the file and reinserted the remote url. So, I altered the
                > file again, but then made it read-only before restarting OPML Editor.
                > Voila...it opened with no crashes, and I could use it to do local
                > editing of opml files. There still seemed to be a problem, however,
                > with signing up for a hosted blog account. This didn't really bother
                > me, since I intended to use the application for editing local opml
                > files only. Hope this helps those who are trying to trial this
                > application, and are not inclined to download Frontier to alter the
                > source code, or uninstall IE7 just to do so.
                >
                > On a related note, would one of you programming geniuses out there
                > who may read this post PLEASE develop a competent OPML editor? I am
                > an avid outliner, and would love to blog using an outliner, but I
                > refuse to put loads of data into a proprietary format and then risk
                > not being able to transfer it when the application becomes
                > abandonware. I love the concept of OPML: simple, single-pane, text-
                > based, etc. But Dave Winer's OPML Editor is obviously not completed,
                > and apparently is not a priority for him, since development is slow,
                > and response to issues like this one (IE7 crash) is non-existent. I
                > have trialed other offerings with OPML capability, but most of them
                > seem to be hobby projects, and are not actively developed or fully
                > supported. I, for one, believe in compensation for work, and would
                > happily pay $40-50 for a good, fully supported and actively developed
                > OPML outliner. For now, I guess it is back to Treepad Lite...not
                > ideal, but text-based, and it works.

              • Amy Bellinger
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Hey Kosso. Thanks to you and caincons for being to intrepid.

                  I'm not completely clear on what you did. When you said you changed
                  the frame src, do you mean that you saved
                  http://127.0.0.1:5337/viewTools (the left frame) as a local file, then
                  specified it as the source in the frameset in background.html?

                  I also tried commenting out the image tags in
                  dotOpmlSuite.mdiWindow.data.htmltext.tools. That didn't work. (But I
                  didn't make background.html read-only.)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                    Amy,

                    The left frame link (http://127.0.0.1:5337/viewTools) is what is causing
                    the problem. Apparently it points to something that IE7 doesn't like.
                    Either delete the link and don't replace it with anything (as is the
                    case in the other frame), or replace the link with a link to any image
                    on your local drive that you like to look at! The key is making the
                    background.html file read-only, so that the application cannot access it
                    and put the offending link back in. Hope this helps.

                    Tom
                  • kossopml
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                      Hi Amy.

                      Try editing out the frameset src pointing to
                      http://127.0.0.1:5337/viewTools
                      from \Appearance\html\background.html

                      Then make this html file ReadOnly

                      (in Windows : right click - Properties - check the read only box -
                      Apply)

                      I had tried simply removing the images from the viewTools section,
                      using Frontier to edit the dotOpml.root file, but this did not work -
                      so I think the error is in there somewhere

                      I think that though we 'the community of users' are here figuring this
                      out to effectively 'hack' a solution, but I truly think it's time
                      someone (Dave?) found the time to do this (probably simple) fix in the
                      source download.

                      Relying on a hacked app is no great feeling. 'Officially fixed' apps
                      make us feeel gooood ;) - makes us feel like we're being heard.

                      ;p

                      --- In opmlsupport@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Bellinger" <amybellinger@...>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                        Professors caincons and kossopml:

                        Thanks indeed for the excellent fix.

                        Here's my Step-by-Simple-Step version of the fix:

                        [1] Go to the OPML Editor's folder in c:\Program Files

                        [2] Open up the file Appearance\html\background.html

                        [3] Comment out the line that starts <frame src="http://127.0.0.1 ,
                        like this:
                        <!-- START IE7 CRASH BUGFIX
                        <frame src="http://127.0.0.1:5337/viewTools" marginwidth="15"
                        marginheight="15" scrolling="no">
                        END IE7 CRASH BUGFIX -->

                        [4] Save the file

                        [5] Right-click on the file, and select Properties from the pop-up menu

                        [6] Set the Read-only attribute to On (e.g., checkmark it)

                        [7] Click the Properties dialog's OK button

                        -- stan
                      • Stan Krute
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                          Just by the way:

                          This bug springs, IMHO, from a fundamental architectural error.

                          HTML templates should be static. Not dynamic. E.g., one shouldn't
                          attempt to re-write a template on the fly. Too many opportunities for
                          error shrubbery sproutage.

                          By making background.html Read-Only, so OPML Editor cannot screw it up
                          after we comment out the offending code, we thus work-around the
                          underlying bug.

                          In PHP templates, this is easy to accomplish by using PHP variables in
                          the template. The template is static, but the variable's value can
                          change. Of course, one can still make an error setting that variable's
                          value.

                          -- stan
                        • Stephen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                            Thanks to the "Usual Suspects" we are or should be back on track
                            using the OPML Editor with IE7 and/or Windows Vista if you are that
                            way inclined.

                            Step by Step this worked perfectly Stan.

                            To clarify a little on the changes made to background.html

                            The code for the file should look very similar to this.

                            <head>
                            <title>OPML Editor</title>
                            </head>
                            <frameset cols="25%,75%">
                            <!-- Begin IE7/Vista Bugfix
                            <frame src="http://127.0.0.1:5337/viewTools" marginwidth="15"
                            marginheight="15" scrolling="no">
                            End IE7/Vista Bugfix -->
                            <frame src="" marginwidth="1" marginheight="1"
                            scrolling="yes" name="pageviewer">
                            </frameset>

                            I now even have a post up and a screenshot, first time in ~6 Months I
                            have easily been able to work with the editor instead of laptops or
                            virtual machines limiting cut and paste and all that goodness.

                            Now I can get back into some more OPML'ing, that ABC Podcast
                            Directory needs a bit of updating.

                            If you still have troubles Amy with that file let me know and I will
                            e-mail a copy to you.

                            Cheers,

                            Stephen
                            http://blogs.opml.org/netweb

                            --- In opmlsupport@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Krute" <Stan@...> wrote:

                            > Professors caincons and kossopml:
                            >
                            > Thanks indeed for the excellent fix.
                            >
                            > Here's my Step-by-Simple-Step version of the fix:
                            >
                            > [1] Go to the OPML Editor's folder in c:\Program Files
                            >
                            > [2] Open up the file Appearance\html\background.html
                            >
                            > [3] Comment out the line that starts <frame src="http://127.0.0.1 ,
                            > like this:
                            > <!-- START IE7 CRASH BUGFIX
                            > <frame src="http://127.0.0.1:5337/viewTools"
                            marginwidth="15"
                            > marginheight="15" scrolling="no">
                            > END IE7 CRASH BUGFIX -->
                            >
                            > [4] Save the file
                            >
                            > [5] Right-click on the file, and select Properties from the pop-up
                            menu

                            > [6] Set the Read-only attribute to On (e.g., checkmark it)
                            >
                            > [7] Click the Properties dialog's OK button
                            >
                            > -- stan

                          • David Wilkinson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 9, 2007
                              Hi all,
                              Wilk here..., lurking about.

                              I tried the work around and it worked.

                              I discovered that if you mark the background.html read-only, then you
                              don't even have to edit the file to get OPML to load with IE7
                              installed.

                              NOTE: If the Please Register window pops up - just hit cancel and
                              then you are in business.

                              Heh, I was playing around with an older version of opml.
                              So, my old template popped up and I am "Cloud Hidden" again.

                              http://blogs.opml.org/thewilk/

                              Wilk