How to post an OPML doc to the OPML Editor via XML-RPC

  • David Luebbert
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2005
      I'm doing some experiments with my SongTrellis Music Editor. I have
      implemented a "save to OPML" option in the app's Save As dialog to
      generate an outline which describes the sequences of sections,
      phrases, bars and notes in a musical score. I intend for this outline
      to be navigable by the OPML Editor.

      I intend to wire up nodetypes in the OPML Editor to respond to custom
      types in my outline so that users can select one or more outline
      levels that describe the sequence of sections, phrases, bars or notes
      in a piece of music and send a Play command which my editor will
      respond to and begin to play the selection made by the user in the
      OPML Editor.

      I think this kind of functionality could be very useful to control
      many types of media players. I want to try this to test the
      usefullness of the idea.

      The next step for me is to add a command to the editor that will
      create my navigational opml and send it directly to the OPML Editor.
      I would guess that there might be code already implemeted in the OPML
      Editor that would respond to a POST message via XML-RPC. If there's
      not, it looks reasonably simple to implement the function I need.

      Dave, could you give me a suggestion on how to proceed?

      Thanks,
      Dave Luebbert
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2005
        Dave, I'd be happy to help, with one caveat -- requests for help
        should not be addressed to anyone specifically. I've found that if
        you do that then other people who may be able to help won't. I want
        the leverage that comes from having many smart people here to help
        each other out.

        Anyway, the OPML editor like Frontier or Radio can respond to XML-RPC
        messages by placing a script in this table:

        user.betty.rpcHandlers

        If you look it up on Google, you'll find a bunch of references.

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=user.betty.rpchandlers

        Hope this helps...

        Dave

        --- In opmlsupport@yahoogroups.com, "David Luebbert" <davidlu@s...>
        wrote:
        > I'm doing some experiments with my SongTrellis Music Editor. I have
        > implemented a "save to OPML" option in the app's Save As dialog to
        > generate an outline which describes the sequences of sections,
        > phrases, bars and notes in a musical score. I intend for this
        outline
        > to be navigable by the OPML Editor.
        >
        > I intend to wire up nodetypes in the OPML Editor to respond to
        custom
        > types in my outline so that users can select one or more outline
        > levels that describe the sequence of sections, phrases, bars or
        notes
        > in a piece of music and send a Play command which my editor will
        > respond to and begin to play the selection made by the user in the
        > OPML Editor.
        >
        > I think this kind of functionality could be very useful to control
        > many types of media players. I want to try this to test the
        > usefullness of the idea.
        >
        > The next step for me is to add a command to the editor that will
        > create my navigational opml and send it directly to the OPML
        Editor.
        > I would guess that there might be code already implemeted in the
        OPML
        > Editor that would respond to a POST message via XML-RPC. If there's
        > not, it looks reasonably simple to implement the function I need.
        >
        > Dave, could you give me a suggestion on how to proceed?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave Luebbert
      • David Luebbert
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2005
          I will adhere to that protocol for future posts. Thanks!