Re: isComment

  • Lantz Rowland
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2000
      To: opml-dev@egroups.com
      --- In opml-dev@egroups.com, hpyle@a... asked:
      > Are there any examples of "isComment"?

      The Human Client documentation for Radio [1] includes a section about
      the ability to have comments in your outline. Please note the
      programming presumption that the only human use for comments is within
      program code and scripts, so there are only the two kinds of comments:
      inlineComment and a CommentOutlineBranch.

      An inlineComment ("end of non comment line comment") is simply a
      string of two slashes ("//") within the text attribute of any outline
      element as far as opml is concerned, it is completely independent of
      the isComment attributes. That pair of slashes in a line of script is
      the syntax to assert to their parser that the rest of the line is a

      The Radio OutlineMenuItem: 'Toggle Comment (/)' is the human interface
      to the outline isComment attribute for what in Radio is a
      "CommentOutlineBranch". The Human presentation for the
      isComment="true" attribute is a left chevron "<<" as the bullet glyph
      for that outline item.

      "And Then A Miracle Occurs"

      Unfortunately Radio does not read or write the isComment attribute in
      the manner specified in the opml xml dtd.

      In Radio the isComment attribute is only set to true in the outline
      element that is functioning as the top node of a CommentOutlineBranch,
      the attribute is not set and is totally ignored in all children. Radio
      does not either write or read the isComment attribute in any outline
      element contained within that special magic outer element.

      This human interface in Radio is used by programmers to transform an
      _entire outline branch_ of code into a special CommentOutlineBranch.

      The Human presentation is the left chevron "<<" bullets for every
      child in the CommentOutlineBranch, which is fine, but when Radio
      writes opml is does not bother to set the isComment attribute for
      those children.

      As a sketch of the way Radio reads and writes opml consider this:

      body ( outline* | CommentOutlineBranch* )

      outline ( outline* | CommentOutlineBranch*)
      outline isComment #implied 'false'

      CommentOutlineBranch (CommentOutlineItem*)
      outline isComment = 'true'

      CommentOutlineItem (CommentOutlineItem*)
      outline isComment #fixed 'true'

      How you (and Userland) should use the outline isComment attribute is
      as implied with a default value of 'false' . Set isComment='true' in
      _every_ outline element that is a comment.

      [1] - Radio HI Documentation - How to Use the Outlines
    • hpyle@agora.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
        Thanks for the explanation, Lantz; that's clear.

        But to me it raises the question: why not use the "type" attribute to
        define this behaviour? Especially if "type" could be something truly

        For example: our mindmap application has a record structure which includes
        fields {x, y, text, body, color}. We can export that to OPML, read into
        RadioUserland. We set type="urn:agora.co.uk:MindMapRecord" which happens
        also to be the schema URI for this record structure in our host

        We also have a derived type of mindmap records which are hyperlinks; they
        have an additional field "URL". When we put that into OPML it makes sense
        to set type="link", because then RU will understand it. But without an
        extensible type mechanism we then lose knowledge of the original schema,
        which makes round-tripping more problematical.