Re: Heads-up: OPML 1.1 coming shortly

  • stan_krute
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2001
      I have a few thoughts bouncing around my head regarding the next rev
      of the OPML spec.

      [1] One of the things that's quite fun about implementing an OPML
      reader/writer stems from the openness of the spec regarding <outline>
      attributes:

      "There are no documented limits to the number of
      attributes an <outline> element can have, or the
      number of <outline> elements it can contain."

      This feeds innovation.

      I'd like to have the 1.1 spec nail down a similar freedom as regards
      sub-elements of <head>.

      For example, the beginning of the section of the spec titled "What is
      a <head> ?" could be tweaked along these lines:

      "A <head> contains zero or more optional
      elements, described below.

      A <head> can also contain any number of other elements."

      [2] To help OPML implementers stay in sync, reinforce one another's
      innovations, and not step on one another's toes, I'd like to do two
      things.

      [a]: Add a <customizer> element to the set of spec'd optional <head>
      elements, along these lines:

      "<customizer> is an URL string, pointing to a
      resource that documents <outline> attributes
      andor <head> elements used in this OPML that
      are not specified in the OPML specification."

      An example of such an element might be:
      <customizer>http://JavaOutlineEditor.org/Our_OPML
      __Outline_Attributes</customizer>

      [b] Establish a registry, preferably on opml.org, that would list, in
      alfa order, <outline> attributes and <head> elements that are being
      used by OPML implementers. Each entry would have a link to the docs
      for that attribute or element.

      Thus, an implementer who wanted to support any members of the set of
      implemented <outline> attributes could easily find the necessary
      info. And an implementer who wanted to add a new <outline> attribute
      could see if that name was available or was already taken.

      I think we could automate the maintenance of such a registry pretty
      easily. If not, I'd volunteer to maintain it.

      [3] I'd like to be able, in the <head> element of an OPML, to specify
      the global default state of any <outline> attribute. To do that, one
      could add a <default> element to the set of spec'd optional <head>
      elements, along these lines:

      "<default> contains one or more
      <outline> attribute-value pairs that nodes default to."

      An example of such a <default> element might be:

      <default>isComment="true"</default>

      Thoughts on these thoughts ???

      stan, opml fan