[new in OPML form] Dewey 1000

  • Stan Krute
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2001
      Howdy

      The Dewey Decimal System is one of the classification
      systems libraries use to organize knowledge.

      I was able to find descriptions for the one thousand
      Dewey Decimal System categories 000-999 at many library
      websites on the 'net. The deeper sub-categories, however,
      the tenths/hundredths/thousandths, are available 'netally
      only via calendar-year subscription.

      I've placed the freely-available 1000 Dewey categories into a
      hierarchically-organized OPML outline file. That file can be
      downloaded by right-clicking the following link and choosing a
      download-the-linked-to-file command [the exact wording for such
      commands varies from one email program to another; Outlook Express 5x
      calls it 'Save Target As...']:

      http://StanKrute.com/reference/Dewey%201000.opml

      When you open up that file, you have a muy fresco way
      to navigate the 1000 publicly-available Dewey categories.

      Stanley Infoseed

      next: OPMLizing the LoC classification system

      easy prediction: if the Dewey organization
      (http://www.oclc.org/dewey/) keeps the tenths/
      hundredths/thousandths sub-categories
      sub$cription only, Dewey will slowly wither, losing out
      to freely-available classification schemas. You either ride
      the anti-info-monopolist nature of the web, or you get
      routed around and die.