OPML, RSS and accounting information

  • mortenjacobsen2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
      I'm looking on if it is possible to use OPML and RSS to display
      accounting information.

      At http://www.summasummarium.com/morten/accountopml/ you can see an
      4 year old prototype using OPML for accounting purposes. Regretably
      its still in Norwegian.

      I've seen in the RSS 2.0 specification that referring to other
      namespaces my allow to extend RSS 2.0. I wonder if I can use this
      feature to include OPML.
      Since I'm quite inexperienced in RSS, I also will ask if it could be
      possible the other way round, include RSS in OPML.

      I have recently started a blog (actually my first) noting my
      thoughts and observartions at http://cdeaandrss.blogspot.com where
      you find more background on my private research.

      Sincerly,

      Morten Jacobsen
    • mortenjacobsen2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
        Contemplating my last message I would reformat my question like this:

        Assuming I want to add RSS syndication to an application like
        http://www.summasummarium.com/morten/accountopml which process
        http://www.summasummarium.com/Morten/AccountOPML/balanse.xml using
        opml.xslt/css/js from www.opml.org

        Should I use OPML inside RSS 2.0?

        Regards,
      • Jeremy Bowers
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2004
          mortenjacobsen2000 wrote:
          > I've seen in the RSS 2.0 specification that referring to other
          > namespaces my allow to extend RSS 2.0. I wonder if I can use this
          > feature to include OPML.
          > Since I'm quite inexperienced in RSS, I also will ask if it could be
          > possible the other way round, include RSS in OPML.

          Because neither RSS nor OPML specify namespaces for themselves, the
          clean XML answer is not available, i.e. (simplified)

          <rss>
          <channel />
          <item>
          <description>
          <opml xmlns="http://www.opml.org/some_non-existant_namespace">
          <head/>
          <outline text="insert your opml here"/>
          </opml>
          </description>
          </item>
          </rss>

          So it is not possible to embed RSS 2.0 in OPML or vice-versa.

          In both specifications, the correct thing to do is to point at the other
          relevant file, in OPML with an "rss" nodetype and in RSS either with the
          <link> element of <item> or your own custom namespace, depending on
          the application. In general, if an HTML rendering of the OPML file
          exists I would point <link> at that and have a custom namespace of your
          own for pointing at the OPML file.

          If you are willing to control the readers which are consuming your RSS,
          you *could* define your own namespace like
          "http://cdeaandrss.blogspot.com/almost-opml-in-rss", and declare that
          the tags inside of that namespace are *just like* the ones in the
          official OPML spec... but that would be a derivative specification, and
          you should not call that OPML as no current OPML reader is likely to be
          able to read it. The most standards-compliant thing to do is probably
          just to provide a link to the relevant OPML file, which current OPML
          consumers will be able to read.