Re: Undeclared entity references in OPML

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10 5:59 AM
      Thanks for confirming that this is a well-formedness issue. I'm not
      concerned with the lack of validation -- that's a given with OPML
      because of how it can be extended. If I need a validating outline
      format with a DTD, there are a couple of proposed ones out there I
      could switch to. I could also create a DTD for an "OPML Bookmarks
      profile," which I may do at some point to clarify what an OPML link
      directory contains.

      Since I'm actively using Radio, it's convenient to work with
      OPML. For interop, I think OPML consumers need well-formed XML, and a
      declaration of entity references used by Radio and Frontier (or any
      other OPML producer) seems like the best solution. Now I just have to
      figure out what entities they can produce.

      To work with existing files, I will be fixing the problem myself by
      converting OPML data to add entity declarations. I may even offer a
      patch for Radio, if it can be fixed with a callback.

      As I was telling someone in e-mail, I figured my project would be a
      challenge because it merges a loose producer of XML (Radio) with a
      rigid consumer (Java's XOM library). I figured it would be educational
      to see what problems I ran int, and it already has been. I had no idea
      undeclared entities could break the well-formedness of XML data.

      http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench