external link vs opml link

  • Simon Fell
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2003
      Looking at the example directory at
      http://www.opml.org/directory/13

      is it using the presence of the .opml in the url to decide to display
      a folder and to treat the url as a branch in the tree, rather than a
      world icon ?

      Whilst not a direct issue for me, it does mean that if you're
      dynamically generating opml it has to be a .opml url, which would be
      an issue in a number of web hosting enironments.

      Cheers
      Simon
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2003
        Yes that's what it means. Here's what the spec says.

        "A headline without sub-heads with a link attribute that ends with .opml is
        an inclusion. When the user dives into an inclusion it is displayed exactly
        as if it were part of the outline that included it, with the exception that
        the author information displayed reflects the author information for the
        included file, and suggested links are sent to the author of the included
        file."

        The reason is to make the back-end more efficient and simpler, and not
        require it to do anything more than make an HTTP request. Alternatively we
        could have to get into file types, and some cross-platform issues, and no
        single person, at the time the decision was made, had the requisite
        knowledge. Further it would mean that the browser would have to read every
        single URL to see if there was an OPML file at the other end. While it might
        not bring the Internet to its knees, it would slow things down.

        Dave
      • Pete Prodoehl
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2003
          Simon Fell wrote:
          > Looking at the example directory at
          > http://www.opml.org/directory/13
          >
          > is it using the presence of the .opml in the url to decide to display
          > a folder and to treat the url as a branch in the tree, rather than a
          > world icon ?
          >
          > Whilst not a direct issue for me, it does mean that if you're
          > dynamically generating opml it has to be a .opml url, which would be
          > an issue in a number of web hosting enironments.

          Might this work?

          http://example.com/foo.php?bar=fake.opml

          It's a hack, but technically it is a url ending with '.opml'

          Pete
        • Simon Fell
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16, 2003
            --- In opml-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
            > Yes that's what it means. Here's what the spec says.
            >
            > "A headline without sub-heads with a link attribute that ends with .opml is
            > an inclusion. When the user dives into an inclusion it is displayed exactly
            > as if it were part of the outline that included it, with the exception that
            > the author information displayed reflects the author information for the
            > included file, and suggested links are sent to the author of the included
            > file."
            >
            > The reason is to make the back-end more efficient and simpler, and not
            > require it to do anything more than make an HTTP request. Alternatively we
            > could have to get into file types, and some cross-platform issues, and no
            > single person, at the time the decision was made, had the requisite
            > knowledge. Further it would mean that the browser would have to read every
            > single URL to see if there was an OPML file at the other end. While it might
            > not bring the Internet to its knees, it would slow things down.
            >
            > Dave

            couldn't it just use a different type value, e.g.
            <outline type="opml" url="http://www.pocketsoap.com/opml.aspx" />

            Cheers
            Simon