Comments

  • Austin Marshall
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2003
      Should not comments use the attribute type="comment" instead of
      isComment="true"? to be more consistent with the type="link" way of
      doing things?
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2003
        Here's how comments are implemented in UserLand's outliner.

        http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/userland/scratchpad/comment.opml

        Dave

        Should not comments use the attribute type="comment" instead of
        isComment="true"? to be more consistent with the type="link" way of
        doing things?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Dave Seidel
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2003
          I don't agree. If an item has isComment="true", that doesn't mean
          that the item is itself a comment. It means that the item has the
          comment *attribute*, denoting that it is treated as a comment in the
          document. This way, any item, regardless of type, can be commented out.

          --- In opml-dev@yahoogroups.com, Austin Marshall <amars@p...> wrote:
          > Should not comments use the attribute type="comment" instead of
          > isComment="true"? to be more consistent with the type="link" way of
          > doing things?
        • Austin Marshall
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2003
            I suppose. It makes more sense when you put it that way. From what I
            understand, the type attribute is open-ended, nowhere in the spec does
            it say what a valid type is, nor does it say what additional additional
            attributes are aloud, or their valid values. So, while isComment is
            explicitly defined in the spec, isComment==true would always indicate a
            comment, where type==comment would depend on the client to interpret it
            as such.

            On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 06:50 AM, Dave Seidel wrote:

            > I don't agree.  If an item has isComment="true", that doesn't mean
            > that the item is itself a comment.  It means that the item has the
            > comment *attribute*, denoting that it is treated as a comment in the
            > document.  This way, any item, regardless of type, can be commented
            > out.
            >
            > --- In opml-dev@yahoogroups.com, Austin Marshall <amars@p...> wrote:
            > > Should not comments use the attribute type="comment" instead of
            > > isComment="true"? to be more consistent with the type="link" way of
            > > doing things?

            <image.tiff>