Reiterating the question of attributes

  • Øyvind Kolås
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25 5:24 PM
      I am developing a terminal based outliner for Unix,
      ( http://hnb.sourceforge.net/) and have recently added a simple OPML
      import/export functionality.

      OPML export/import at the moment is restricted to the plain text
      attribute of OPML, this is not good for interchangeability which OPML
      states as one of its goals.

      My main problem is that I don't know how to represent the data that I
      use, at the moment I use just a few attributes on each node, in addition
      to text the node can have:

      checkbox="true|false" done="true|false"
      percent_done="0-100%" size="0-1000"

      I plan to add some more flags as well, amongst other things are dates
      related to the various nodes, and perhaps the ability to create clones
      through the usage of id="1" in the source of a clone and ref="1" on each
      "soft link",..

      Browsing the archives here on egroups is not easy but I've saw that a
      file containing some 'standard' attributes used by other programs was
      posted at one time, the URL to that document is broken, and I was
      wondering if it still exists.

      The kind of Attributes I want at least ones relating to checked/not
      checked/no checkbox are attributes all outliners working as to-do list
      managers need, and as such should be agreed upon to facilitate more data
      to flow between applications.

      sincerely Øyvind K.

      --
      .^.
      /V\ Øyvind Kolås, Gjøvik University College, Norway
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26 11:04 AM
        On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:24:11 +0100, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
        >I plan to add some more flags as well, amongst other things are
        dates
        >related to the various nodes, and perhaps the ability to create
        >clones
        >through the usage of id="1" in the source of a clone and ref="1" on
        >each
        >"soft link",..

        UserLand extends OPML for several different more specialized formats.
        Use the type attribute of an outline element to identify your
        specialized format (such as type="todolist"), then add the attributes
        you want that are unique to that format.

        Here's an example:

        <outline text="Graham Parker - Success" album="The Mona Lisa's
        Sister" artist="Graham Parker" song="Success" type="remoteSong"
        whenPlayed="Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:41:45 GMT"/>

        This element is from an outline created by the Music tool, a Radio
        UserLand playlist manager and organizer for audio files. Each item in
        the outline is an audio file (such as a song). The type attribute
        identifying these items is "remoteSong" and it contains several
        attributes about the file -- artist, song, album, and text. There's
        also a whenPlayed attribute holding a timestamp.
        --
        Rogers Cadenhead, rogers@... on 02/26/2003
        Weblog: http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28 7:55 AM
          * Rogers Cadenhead <rogers@...> [030227 01:32]:
          > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:24:11 +0100, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
          > >I plan to add some more flags as well, amongst other things are
          > dates
          > >related to the various nodes, and perhaps the ability to create
          > >clones
          > >through the usage of id="1" in the source of a clone and ref="1" on
          > >each
          > >"soft link",..
          >
          > UserLand extends OPML for several different more specialized formats.
          > Use the type attribute of an outline element to identify your
          > specialized format (such as type="todolist"), then add the attributes
          > you want that are unique to that format.
          >
          > Here's an example:
          >
          > <outline text="Graham Parker - Success" album="The Mona Lisa's
          > Sister" artist="Graham Parker" song="Success" type="remoteSong"
          > whenPlayed="Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:41:45 GMT"/>
          >
          > This element is from an outline created by the Music tool, a Radio
          > UserLand playlist manager and organizer for audio files. Each item in
          > the outline is an audio file (such as a song). The type attribute
          > identifying these items is "remoteSong" and it contains several
          > attributes about the file -- artist, song, album, and text. There's
          > also a whenPlayed attribute holding a timestamp.
          > --
          > Rogers Cadenhead, rogers@... on 02/26/2003
          > Weblog: http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench

          For me OPML is not the native format of the application, I intend it as
          a convenient format to support if users use other applications, an
          interchange format.

          If I have to define simple things as done/not done for checkbox items,
          there sadly is no point in pursuing OPML further than the text attribute
          defined in the standard. This renders OPML a little worse than a tab
          indented text file for outline exchange.

          /Øyvind K.

          --
          .^.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28 9:09 AM
            On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:55:13 +0100, Øyvind Kolås wrote:
            >For me OPML is not the native format of the application, I intend it
            >as
            >a convenient format to support if users use other applications, an
            >interchange format.

            >If I have to define simple things as done/not done for checkbox
            >items,
            >there sadly is no point in pursuing OPML further than the text
            >attribute
            >defined in the standard. This renders OPML a little worse than a tab
            >indented text file for outline exchange.

            I'm not entirely clear on what you expect of OPML here. If all of the
            attributes or elements you want to add relate specifically to "to do
            lists," rather than outlines in general, why should they be a
            standard part of OPML?

            For instance, what relevance does a "done/not done" attribute have to
            outlines that aren't being used for task management?
            --
            Rogers Cadenhead, rogers@... on 02/28/2003
            Weblog: http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench