OPML -- XulTreeWidget XSLT, where art thou?

  • webjavapro
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002
      Howdy Dave:

      I'm wondering what the real relevance of OPML, which is used by a few
      developers (Radioland tools, a MacOSx outliner app), versus Mozilla
      Tree widget which is deployed to millions of users. It seems that
      OPML has the ability to store state information, which the Tree Widget
      XUL syntax lacks, making OPML superior perhaps for a stored data file
      format. Obviously Netscape Mail retains some state information and
      uses the Tree Widget XUL for its outlining, so somehow the Netscape
      people preserve state information too.

      It seems it would not be hard to write two XSLT transformations to
      move outlines from the Tree Widget XUL syntax to OPML, and from OPML
      to the Tree Widget XUL form. This would make OPML files accessible by
      the millions of users who constitute the installed base of Netscape 6,
      Netscape 7, and Mozilla browsers. It would probably be VERY handy to
      the vendors of web CMS (Content Management System) software, too.

      Any thoughts?

      Have you considered using Mozilla's client side technology for
      Radioland products?

      regards,

      Monty