ListPro, Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, etc.

  • webjavapro
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
      HOWDY

      We had been using www.iliumsoft.com ListPro for PDA & Win32, but I'm
      thrilled to discover a non-proprietary file format for outliners
      exists, which can be transformed through XSL into HTML which,
      together with CSS and JS, can be displayed in any W3C compliant web
      browser (thin client). I have recommended to the authors of ListPro
      that they support the OPML file format in future versions, but think
      it unlikely that their business model will support such openness.

      I stumbled on OPML when beginning the task of constructing my own
      rudimentary XHTML/CSS/JS outline templates, and was pleased that this
      wheel has been invented already :).

      Dave et.al., any news on when the Mozilla developers will include W3C
      XSLT support in the Mozilla platform? (I think the possibilities of
      combining OPML with XUL (and other Moz technologies) is exciting.)

      Has anyone had discussions with any of the OpenOffice.org community
      about including an outliner in their office suite? Surely if they
      had one it would be supportive of OPML, as the suite generally sports
      XML as its native file format.

      Cheers!
      and thanks for the good works.

      -Monty
    • Sjoerd Visscher
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2002
        > Dave et.al., any news on when the Mozilla developers will include
        W3C
        > XSLT support in the Mozilla platform? (I think the possibilities
        of
        > combining OPML with XUL (and other Moz technologies) is exciting.)

        Mozilla already supports XSLT.

        var xslProcessor = new XSLTProcessor();
        var outputDoc = document.implementation.createDocument
        ("text/xml", "", null);
        xslProcessor.transformDocument(xmlNode, xslNode, outputDoc, null);

        (code taken from Q42's Mozilla2IE converter for Xopus, available at
        xopus.org)

        Sjoerd Visscher
        Q42
      • webjavapro
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
          --- In opml-dev@y..., "Sjoerd Visscher" <sjoerd@w...> wrote:
          > Mozilla already supports XSLT.
          >
          > var xslProcessor = new XSLTProcessor();
          > var outputDoc = document.implementation.createDocument
          > ("text/xml", "", null);
          > xslProcessor.transformDocument(xmlNode, xslNode, outputDoc, null);
          >
          > (code taken from Q42's Mozilla2IE converter for Xopus, available at
          > xopus.org)
          >
          > Sjoerd Visscher
          > Q42

          Indeed! Today I discovered that Mozilla (and hence Netscape) already
          includes an outliner. See "Trees" and "Outliners" in The XUL
          Programmer's Reference (5th Draft)
          <http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/xulref/> site, or the older Tree Widget
          page <http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/xptoolkit/trees.html>, or chapter 3
          of Creating Applications with Mozilla
          <http://books.mozdev.org/chapters/ch03.html>.

          Also: here are some contacts regarding this development:

          - 1. Cross Platform Front End newsgroup
          - 2. Peter Trudelle, XPFE project manager
          <trudelle@...>
          - 3. Ian Oeschger, XPFE documentor
          <oeschger@...>