Re: GPS18LVC and OPENTRACKER 1X rev3

  • w5bl
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2007
      Scott and Michael,

      I am in the process of trying to get the Opentracker to talk to the
      Garmin 18LVC as well and I amencountering so problems as well. The
      problem I am experienceing is that the opentracker functions just
      finr until I hook the GPS18 to the port and then the OT stops
      transmitting. The flashing of the LED becomes irratic as well. When I
      remove the GPS18, the OT starts to transmit again. I have double
      checked all of the wiring. I have populated R7 on my board. Am I to
      understand from the previous messges that I do indeed want R7 on the
      board? Any suggestions of things to look for in working this problem?
      I am admittedly a neophite so I apologize for taking up the bandwidth
      but I could use some help.

      73,

      Doug

      --- In opentracker@yahoogroups.com, "Michel Graveline" <ve2wmg@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2007
        My problem was different I beleive, I assembled 6 OT that week and 4 of them did not seem to work with that GPS, but they work OK with another GPS.

         The output signal from my gps18lvc was probably  too low to trigger the 2N7000.
        as it is going trought the voltage divider (R13-R7) , removing R7 give the 2N7000 gate all the available courrant.

        It as work well for me.

        good luck

        1625 Chenail
        Acton Vale, PQ
        Canada  J0H 1A0

        http://ve2wmg.dyndns.org/

        wrote:

        > Thank you, It
        is working.

        href="mailto:opentracker%40yahoogroups.com">opentracker@ yahoogroups. com
        > The LVC should work fine as-is - I've used several of
        them myself.
        But
        > assuming you've got an OT1x rev 3, pulling R7 will
        double the
        voltage seen
        > by the OpenTracker. Running it that way at
        the maximum (+/- 25
        volt) levels
        > allowed by the RS-232 spec might
        kill Q2, but for any ordinary
        device it
        > should be fine.
        >
        > Scott
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From:
        href="mailto:opentracker%40yahoogroups.com">opentracker@ yahoogroups. com
        > I am having a problem trying to use a GPS18LVC with an
        OPENTRACKER
        1X.
        > I build several OT last week and was having trouble
        with several of
        > them, not acknowledging the presence on the GPS with
        the normal
        double
        > blinking of the led.
        >
        > I double
        check all parts and compare voltages and found nothing
        wrong
        > until
        a put another GPS In. The old OEM GARMIN 20 seem to output
        more

        signal voltage (almost 5 volts vs 2.5 volts for the LVC)

        > So my
        questions are.

        > 1- Can something be done to use the LVC with the
        OT even if the
        signal
        > is lower, as it is working with some OT I
        build, even if nothing
        seem
        > different ?
        >
        > 2- Do I
        have a defective GPS18LVC or are they all outputing -+
        2.5v ?

        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > ps.: I was using the Deluo with
        success in the past and just change
        > the GPS18 as we are
        preparing some 100,000' ballon lunch.

        Michel

        __________ Information NOD32 2187 (20070413) __________

        Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
        http://www.nod32.com