Re: deluo GPS current consumption

  • Manfred
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
      --- In opentracker@yahoogroups.com, "Juergen" <juergen.schoepf@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In opentracker@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Last time I checked, I got an average of about 80 mA for the
      tracker
      > and GPS
      > > together. I think the 120 mW rating is a lie.
      > >
      > > Scott
      >
      > Scott,
      >
      > having scanned Deluos website and looking at their specmenship I
      > wouldn't trust any number they show there.....
      >
      > BTW, the newer GPS they have with the SiRFIII chipset sounds much
      > better then the one with the aging Sony part. For a reason I know
      that
      > chipset pretty well, it's not the brightest design but still far
      > better then the Sony. The best one is still the Garmin chip (read
      > GPS-18).....
      >
      > Juergen

      Hi everybody,

      I'm using a Haicom HI-204III SirfIII GPS Mouse since a few months
      with my Kenwood TM-D700, and since a few weeks also with my recently
      bought OT1x Kit. The Power consumption together with OT1x ist about
      95mA. The SirfIII chipset is very impressive in two ways - speed an
      sensitivity. It sometimes works even inside buildings!
      I'm very satisfied with the Haicom - I have also tried a Garmin Geko
      201 for APRS purposes it can't be compared - I have sold the Garmin
      now to a friend...
      Only the following is a little bit strange:
      The Datasheet says:
      Both the LVTTL-level and RS232-level serial interface are provided on
      the interface connector. Supply voltage of 3.3V, or 3.8V~12V are
      supported.
      But in the Haicom manual I could not find a hint how to supply the
      unit with 12V...

      @Scott:
      Maybe we can encourage you to offer the SirfIII Deluo GPS Mouse in
      your shop?

      73
      Manfred, OE7AAI

      Haicom HI-204III Info:
      http://www.haicom.com.tw/gps204III.shtml

      Btw:
      Today I have finished the translation of the OT1x Manuals into German.
      I will send it to Scott so that he can offer it for download at his
      website. I hope the mail passes the Spamfilter...
    • Scott Miller
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        >Maybe we can
        encourage you to offer the SirfIII Deluo GPS Mouse in
        >your shop?

        Last time I checked, it'd cost about the same as the Garmin GPS 18.  If there's enough interest, I might carry it.  It's really just a matter of how much cash I want to tie up in inventory - I've got to buy a decent quantity to get a good price break, and a lot of my cash went to end-of-year purchases, mostly test equipment.

        Scott

        > > Last time I checked, I got an average of about 80 mA for the
        tracker
        > and GPS
        > > together. I think the 120 mW rating is a lie.
        > >
        > > Scott
        >
        > Scott,
        >
        > having scanned Deluos website and looking at their specmenship I
        > wouldn't trust any number they show there.....
        >
        > BTW, the newer GPS they have with the SiRFIII chipset sounds much
        > better then the one with the aging Sony part. For a reason I know
        that
        > chipset pretty well, it's not the brightest design but still far
        > better then the Sony. The best one is still the Garmin chip (read
        > GPS-18).....
        >
        > Juergen

        Hi everybody,

        I'm using a Haicom HI-204III SirfIII GPS Mouse since a few months
        with my Kenwood TM-D700, and since a few weeks also with my recently
        bought OT1x Kit. The Power consumption together with OT1x ist about
        95mA. The SirfIII chipset is very impressive in two ways - speed an
        sensitivity. It sometimes works even inside buildings!
        I'm very satisfied with the Haicom - I have also tried a Garmin Geko
        201 for APRS purposes it can't be compared - I have sold the Garmin
        now to a friend...
        Only the following is a little bit strange:
        The Datasheet says:
        Both the LVTTL-level and RS232-level serial interface are provided on
        the interface connector. Supply voltage of 3.3V, or 3.8V~12V are
        supported.
        But in the Haicom manual I could not find a hint how to supply the
        unit with 12V...

        @Scott:
        Maybe we can encourage you to offer the SirfIII Deluo GPS Mouse in
        your shop?

        73
        Manfred, OE7AAI

        Haicom HI-204III Info:
        http://www.haicom. com.tw/gps204III .shtml

        Btw:
        Today I have finished the translation of the OT1x Manuals into German.
        I will send it to Scott so that he can offer it for download at his
        website. I hope the mail passes the Spamfilter.. .

      • Juergen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
          --- In opentracker@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:

          > >Maybe we can encourage you to offer the SirfIII Deluo GPS Mouse in
          > >your shop?
          >
          > Last time I checked, it'd cost about the same as the Garmin GPS 18. If
          > there's enough interest, I might carry it. It's really just a
          matter of how
          > much cash I want to tie up in inventory - I've got to buy a decent
          quantity
          > to get a good price break, and a lot of my cash went to end-of-year
          > purchases, mostly test equipment.
          >
          > Scott

          Scott,

          from a chip point of view the GPS-18 is better then the SiRF. Mainly
          in terms of blocking and pulling. Sensitivity is about the same.

          The SiRF is faster as they don't take it as accurate which to me isn't
          an advantage.

          The Sony chip used in the low end Deluo is simply outdated. Not really
          bad, just that something better can be done today.

          At the same price I would always go with the Garmin. But IO have to
          admit that SiRF did a lot of promotion to make their name known and
          the parts are pretty reasonable.

          Juergen
        • kc2mmi
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
            From experience with Deluo I can only say, they are often the cheapest source,
            and that's something to remember. Sometimes they switch vendors as different GPS
            modules are available, and they may or may not have any idea what they have or
            what the real specs are. The quality of the support can be...challenging.

            As for a "Deluo GPS"....without a specific model number I'd say there is no such
            thing. They've made many models and the specs differ among them.
          • Scott Miller
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
              I've looked into importing GPS receivers myself, but most would cost more than the Deluo units, even before shipping and duties.  Unless I wanted to buy 10,000 or so, that is.  The Deluo WAAS is a Polstar unit (PGM-248 I think), and Polstar is about the only vendor that hasn't ever responded to my inquiries.  I get sales emails from half a dozen other manufacturers every day, but I've never been able to get any response from Polstar.

              If I can get a decent deal on anything in less-than-container quantities, I'll certainly do so.  But no luck so far.

              Scott