Re: [opentracker] OT still dead

  • Scott Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2004
      > Something like the SMAJ28CA-13 (28V, 400W (briefly!), bi-directional,
      > in a smt diode SMA package) plus a 1N4148 should go a very long way to
      > keeping the badness of way. Adds space and cost though...

      Yep. I've come up with a number of variations of the OpenTracker I'd like
      to produce, for automotive installs, Mic encoders, solar weather stations,
      and so on. What I'll probably wind up doing is building them around the SMT
      OpenTracker. It plugs in with a simple pin header, so you can build the
      custom stuff around it and just drop in the module whole. Though for that
      sort of thing I'd rather have the potentiometers somewhere more convenient,
      and a little more durable than the tiny 3mm things on the SMT board.

      For a completely through-hole design, I don't know how much more I can cram
      in the same case...

      Scott
    • Shannon Holland
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 23, 2004
        On Jul 23, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

        > Yep. I've come up with a number of variations of the OpenTracker I'd
        > like
        > to produce, for automotive installs, Mic encoders, solar weather
        > stations,
        > and so on. What I'll probably wind up doing is building them around
        > the SMT
        > OpenTracker. It plugs in with a simple pin header, so you can build
        > the
        > custom stuff around it and just drop in the module whole. Though for
        > that
        > sort of thing I'd rather have the potentiometers somewhere more
        > convenient,
        > and a little more durable than the tiny 3mm things on the SMT board.

        Sounds like a good plan - nice to not have the overhead of parts you
        don't need in some designs!

        For those doing automotive installs now, might be worthwhile to whack a
        resistor, TVS and diode on a perfboard to protect it. Hmmm, I bet a lot
        of the cell phone chargers have that built in. Could do that through
        the cigarette lighter or else just cut the wire and connect directly.

        Shannon