OSHCA registration update

  • Molly Cheah
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4 4:53 AM
      Since the list has become unduly quiet, I'm taking this opportunity to
      provide a short update on the OSHCA registration.

      The registration document is at version1 draft 3, sent out to the Protem
      Committee yesterday. I think we are quite close to the final draft,
      which will be uploaded to the list for comments and discussions,
      hopefully by tomorrow but for a limited period of time, possibly 7 days.
      I would also need to submit a list of resolutions for adoption,
      essentially to say that we all agree to the registration of OSHCA and
      adopting the constitution.

      I had been to see the Registrar of Societies and obtained the necessary
      forms that was used as sample to develop the registration
      constitution/document. I had also spoken to GKP which used the
      incorporation method for their organisation - company limited by
      guarantee with a non-profit status. As a company is more costly to
      maintain, preliminary view of some protem committee members feel that we
      register under the Societies Act.

      We will then provide a list of items for discussions (as guidelines) but
      you're welcomed to comment on any item, except for those which
      constitute minimal requirements for registration in Malaysia. Issues to
      think about are:
      types of membership
      membership info
      membership dues
      OSHCA chapters/country branches
      office-bearers - how many, length of term etc.

      Rgds,
      Molly
    • Nandalal Gunaratne
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5 9:45 AM
        Constitution of the Open Source Health Care Alliance Hi Molly,

        A few questions/suggestions.

        9.3 - Names for the above offices in Article 9.1 shall be proposed and seconded and election will be by a simple majority vote of the members at the annual general meeting on alternate years. All the office-bearers shall serve for two years and be eligible for re-election.

        How many times can any one of the office bearers be re-elected? Should there be a restriction?

        10.6 - The Ordinary Committee Members shall carry out such duty as directed by the President or the Committee.

        "under the guidance and approval of the President and Committee"?

        Constitution of the Open Source Health Care Alliance 11.2 - Subject to the following provisions in this rules, the funds of OSHCA may be expended for the purpose necessary for the carrying out of its objects, and to spend at the end of the financial year approximately seventy percent (70%) from the income and donation received.Expenditures may include the expenses of its office-bearers and paid staff, and the audit of its accounts, but they shall on no account be used to pay the fine of any member who may be convicted in a court of law.

        Is it compulsary that we spend 70% or is that the maximum allowed?

        Constitution of the Open Source Health Care Alliance 16.4 - No University/College student can be allowed to be a member of OSHCA without the prior written approval from the Vice Chancellor of the University concerned. This clause shall only be applicable in Malaysia and any other country that has a similar restriction.

        Membership for University/College students may need the prior written approval of the Head of the University concerned. This applies in Malaysia and any other country where such rules and restrictions apply.

        NandA

        Constitution of the Open Source Health Care Alliance

        Molly Cheah <drcheah@...> wrote: Since the list has become unduly quiet, I'm taking this opportunity to

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5 3:30 PM
          Hi everyone,

          In case anyone gets confused about Nandalal's references to the
          specificities of the draft constitution, I apologise that I was not able
          to upload the document to the list yet. I was waiting for further
          comments from the protem committee before making the document the final
          draft.

          I'll be able to do this before the week-end.

          Molly

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7 3:00 PM
            Hi,

            I have uploaded the OSHCA-registration_v1draft4 in pdf format for
            discussion on its contents. Please feel free to comment on any articles
            in the constitution. For ease of documentation, please quote the article
            number before giving your comments or proposals here.

            Please also suggest how dissent should be handled. We hope to include
            your proposals into the draft document, unless there are dissenting
            views in which case either the protem will decide or there would be a
            vote. However, please note that the constitution is a living document
            and amendments can also be made later.

            Please also note that there are some provisions that will be specific in
            Malaysia such as Article 16 and Malaysian citizens such as Article 16.4.
            I have yet to include provisions that would be needed to obtain a tax
            free status for OSHCA. The only requirement I've included in so far is
            that of Article 11.2.

            We hope to have this process completed at the end of a 7-day period. By
            then, I would put up the agreed resolutions for acceptance by the
            "members" which would form part of the documentations that would be
            submitted formally to the Registrar of Societies for registration. Below
            is a sample resolution for the formation of OSHCA. If you would like to
            add other resolutions please suggest on this list as well.

            > _Formation of an Organisation_
            >
            > It was resolved that:-
            >
            > 1.1. This protem Committee form Open Source Health Care Alliance in
            > accordance with the Societies Act 1966, and the Societies Regulations
            > 1984, and all subsequent amendments:-
            >
            > Moved by :
            >
            > Seconded by :
            >
            > Passed : Unanimously
            >
            > It was resolved that:-
            >
            > 1.2. The above organisation be called Open Source Health Care Alliance
            >
            > Moved by:
            >
            > Seconded by:
            >
            > Passed : Unanimously
            >
            > It was resolved that:-
            >
            > 1.3. The address of this organisation be:
            >
            > Moved by:
            >
            > Seconded by:
            >
            > Passed : Unanimously
            >
            > _Election of Office Bearers_
            >
            > The following volunteers were received for Protem Office Bearers of
            > the organisation:-
            >
            > *President :
            >
            > *Deputy President :
            >
            > *Secretary and Deputy Secretary :
            >
            > *Treasurer :
            >
            > *Committee Members :
            >
            > :
            >
            > :
            >
            > :
            >
            > :
            >
            > :
            >
            > :
            >
            > In the absence of any opposition to the above positions,
            >
            > It was resolved that:-
            >
            > 1.4. The above persons be duly elected protem Office Bearers of the
            > Open Source Health Care Alliance
            >
            > Moved by:
            >
            > Seconded by:
            >
            > Passed : Unanimously
            >
            > _Constitution_
            >
            > A draft constitution, based on the "Model Society Constitution"
            > supplied by the Office of the Registrar of Societies, was tabled by
            > the protem committee for discussion and adoption.
            >
            > It was resolved that:-
            >
            > 1.5. The Constitution, as discussed and amended (and attached to these
            > minutes), be written out in full for signing by two Office Bearers for
            > submission to the Registrar of Societies, and a meeting of potential
            > members on a date to be decided.
            >
            > Moved by :
            >
            > Seconded by:
            >
            > Passed : Unanimously.
            >
            > _Registration of the Organisation_
            >
            > It was resolved that:-
            >
            > 1.6. The protem President proceed with the completion of the
            > registration forms to ensure a temporary registration as soon as possible.
            >
            > Moved by :
            >
            > Seconded by:
            >
            > Passed : Unanimously

            One major question I have is: Should only those who participate in the
            resolution to accept the constitution be accepted as initial members of
            OSHCA and what are the members information we need to have in the
            membership register?

            Target date for submission is now 20 April 2006

            Rgds,
            Molly

          • Philippe AMELINE
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8 2:30 AM
              Hi to all,

              The overall feeling is very good.

              Some comments "anyway":

              3.1: Chapters and country branchs
              I think this point should be made more accurate. It is eventually a very
              important one, since local lobbying is of major interest.
              Have local branchs to be non profit organizations?
              Are local branchs members plain members of the main Oshca? Do they pay a
              plain fee to main Oshca, or do the local branch keep some part of this fee?
              I believe that this chapter must be properly elaborated.

              4.2 Missions
              My feeling is that point 4.2.6 "Enables collaboration of members..."
              should be the first or second point in the list.
              Details : 4.2.2 "Provide..." with no "s" while other points have a "s"
              (Makes, Provides, Participates...)

              To be more accurate on my feelings here: I believe that any valuable
              association must be a think tank, where members find pleasure to meet
              each other and learn from each other, before it can be a lobbying actor.
              To make it short: build the group before acting as a group.

              Article 8: General Meeting

              There is no indication on the place where the General Meeting occurs.
              Couldn't it be stated that the General Meeting should occur in the place
              where the Annual conference is held.
              I write this because point 8.3 gives a calendar that doesn't allow this
              usual practice.

              That's all for today... I return to my games of "Roulette, Lotto, Fan
              Tan, Poh, Peh Bin, Belankai, Pai Kau, Tau Ngau, Tien Ngau, Tien Kow,
              Chap Ji Kee, Sam Cheong, Twenty One, Thirty One, Ten and a half" before
              they are officially outlawed for genuine open sourcers ;-)

              Cheers,

              Philippe

            • Joseph Dal Molin
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8 6:35 AM
                Philippe AMELINE wrote:
                > Hi to all,
                >
                > The overall feeling is very good.
                >
                > Some comments "anyway":
                >
                > 3.1: Chapters and country branchs
                > I think this point should be made more accurate. It is eventually a very
                > important one, since local lobbying is of major interest.
                > Have local branchs to be non profit organizations?
                > Are local branchs members plain members of the main Oshca? Do they pay a
                > plain fee to main Oshca, or do the local branch keep some part of this fee?
                > I believe that this chapter must be properly elaborated.

                WorldVistA spent quite a bit of time thinking about this issue as we
                have had requests to form "branches" from several countries in the past
                year or so. One model that we really liked is the IEEE approach of
                establishing "chapters" which do not require local incorporation if my
                memory serves me well. My advice is to focus over the next year on
                getting the "mother ship" in order and working effectively....that will
                establish the processes, experience etc. for determining how to best
                distribute representation. This process is very similar to creating a
                franchise based business....you first develop a successful reference
                implementation to define all the characteristics of the DNA of the
                organization, then develop the franchising strategy to ensure that the
                DNA stays intact as you distribute the organization.

                Joseph
              • Philippe AMELINE
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8 7:42 AM
                  Joseph Dal Molin a écrit :

                  >Philippe AMELINE wrote:
                  >

                  >>Hi to all,
                  >>
                  >>The overall feeling is very good.
                  >>
                  >>Some comments "anyway":
                  >>
                  >>3.1: Chapters and country branchs
                  >>I think this point should be made more accurate. It is eventually a very
                  >>important one, since local lobbying is of major interest.
                  >>Have local branchs to be non profit organizations?
                  >>Are local branchs members plain members of the main Oshca? Do they pay a
                  >>plain fee to main Oshca, or do the local branch keep some part of this fee?
                  >>I believe that this chapter must be properly elaborated.
                  >>

                  >WorldVistA spent quite a bit of time thinking about this issue as we
                  >have had requests to form "branches" from several countries in the past
                  >year or so. One model that we really liked is the IEEE approach of
                  >establishing "chapters" which do not require local incorporation if my
                  >memory serves me well. My advice is to focus over the next year on
                  >getting the "mother ship" in order and working effectively....that will
                  >establish the processes, experience etc. for determining how to best
                  >distribute representation. This process is very similar to creating a
                  >franchise based business....you first develop a successful reference
                  >implementation to define all the characteristics of the DNA of the
                  >organization, then develop the franchising strategy to ensure that the
                  >DNA stays intact as you distribute the organization.
                  >
                  >Joseph

                  Hi Joseph,

                  Should we envision Oshca the path to success through a bottom up or top
                  down evolution.

                  If the mother organization is already well know or strongly established,
                  you have better have lightweight branches... just like franchises, as
                  you stated.
                  In the other case, when it is easier to "think locally" than to address
                  the whole world for the first steps, you may have the "main
                  organization" work as the head of a confederation.

                  My feeling is that, since Oshca has no public reputation yet, it would
                  more efficient to work as a locally incorporated branch of an
                  international movement. And I really believe that Oshca can only be born
                  as the sum of local energy before this entity can act by itself.

                  Philippe
                • Nandalal Gunaratne
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 8 7:36 PM
                    Philippe AMELINE <philippe.ameline@...> wrote:
                    Hi Joseph,

                    Should we envision Oshca the path to success through a bottom up or top
                    down evolution.

                    If the mother organization is already well know or strongly established,
                    you have better have lightweight branches... just like franchises, as
                    you stated.
                    In the other case, when it is easier to "think locally" than to address
                    the whole world for the first steps, you may have the "main
                    organization" work as the head of a confederation.

                    My feeling is that, since Oshca has no public reputation yet, it would
                    more efficient to work as a locally incorporated branch of an
                    international movement. And I really believe that Oshca can only be born
                    as the sum of local energy before this entity can act by itself.

                    This seems a reasonable argument. But which is easier to organise and direct; is easier to move in one direction and easier to get agreement on issues? If we continue to argue about each and every issue, like where it should be incorporated first, and each local branch want to do things in a different way, will it help or hinder? On the other hand the local branch may take the action that is most suitable for that particular country.

                    But the first thing to do is to incorporate it -anywhere! Then let the local branches spread based on a mutualy accepted draft.

                    Nandalal

                    Philippe

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Joseph Dal Molin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 9 7:37 AM
                      Philipe,

                      It would be fair to say that OSHCA has been "dormant" for the last
                      couple of years and that its public reputation has faded... it is not
                      fair to say that OSHCA has no public reputation at all having been
                      active for 4 years and having organized successful, internationally
                      attended conferences each of those years.

                      IMHO the path to success is to work top down and bottom up at the same
                      time. In this regard, it makes sense to start where you are now rather
                      than put more things on the critical path...initially the path of least
                      resistance for bottom up involvement is to get the buy in, support and
                      participation of
                      active and credible "local projects", individuals and organizations to
                      create critical mass....I am sure that there
                      are many out there that aren't aware of this list or OSHCA. In parallel
                      to this put in place the mothership... which is what going on now, to
                      establish a clear set of standards etc. for implementing chapters and
                      growing beyond the "local" project representation into local chapters. A
                      strong
                      international organization will make it much easier to take the next
                      step and of establishing
                      effective local chapters and ensuring that the OSHCA "brand" and
                      principles are consistently applied.....that's where having common DNA
                      to start with becomes
                      important.

                      Cheers,

                      Joseph

                      > Hi Joseph,
                      >
                      > Should we envision Oshca the path to success through a bottom up or top
                      > down evolution.
                      >
                      > If the mother organization is already well know or strongly established,
                      > you have better have lightweight branches... just like franchises, as
                      > you stated.
                      > In the other case, when it is easier to "think locally" than to address
                      > the whole world for the first steps, you may have the "main
                      > organization" work as the head of a confederation.
                      >
                      > My feeling is that, since Oshca has no public reputation yet, it would
                      > more efficient to work as a locally incorporated branch of an
                      > international movement. And I really believe that Oshca can only be born
                      > as the sum of local energy before this entity can act by itself.
                      >
                      > Philippe

                      > .
                    • Philippe AMELINE
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 9 10:02 AM
                        Nandalal Gunaratne a écrit :

                        > This seems a reasonable argument. But which is easier to organise and direct; is easier to move in one direction and easier to get agreement on issues? If we continue to argue about each and every issue, like where it should be incorporated first, and each local branch want to do things in a different way, will it help or hinder? On the other hand the local branch may take the action that is most suitable for that particular country.
                        >
                        > But the first thing to do is to incorporate it -anywhere! Then let the local branches spread based on a mutualy accepted draft.
                        >
                        > Nandalal

                        Hi Nandalal,

                        I plainly agree with you.
                        I don't say that local branches will want to do anything in a different
                        way. I just say that local branches may be the flesh on the bones and
                        that I think the rules of "syndication" of local branches might be more
                        clearly stated in the document.
                        However, if you think we have to move fast, we can postpone this
                        point... but I don't think that it is a wise decision because the
                        starting action capacity will come from local branches.

                        Philippe
                      • Philippe AMELINE
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 9 10:29 AM
                          Joseph Dal Molin a écrit :

                          >Philipe,
                          >
                          >It would be fair to say that OSHCA has been "dormant" for the last
                          >couple of years and that its public reputation has faded... it is not
                          >fair to say that OSHCA has no public reputation at all having been
                          >active for 4 years and having organized successful, internationally
                          >attended conferences each of those years.

                          Joseph,

                          I actually didn't stated my point correctly.

                          Vista is a strongly established organization in the US, and it now wants
                          to expand around the world.
                          IEEE has been a very well known organization for many years.

                          They both don't have to be "created" by the community around the
                          world... on the contrary, they probably fear they could be diluted, were
                          local branches to become too strong.

                          Oshca can be born because local projects exist... then Oshca can help
                          these local project become international.
                          So, my opinion is that Oshca could state more accurately its policy
                          regarding local branches... but I wont argue about this any longer if
                          nobody shares this feeling.

                          >IMHO the path to success is to work top down and bottom up at the same
                          >time. In this regard, it makes sense to start where you are now rather
                          >than put more things on the critical path...initially the path of least
                          >resistance for bottom up involvement is to get the buy in, support and
                          >participation of
                          >active and credible "local projects", individuals and organizations to
                          >create critical mass....I am sure that there
                          >are many out there that aren't aware of this list or OSHCA. In parallel
                          >to this put in place the mothership... which is what going on now, to
                          >establish a clear set of standards etc. for implementing chapters and
                          >growing beyond the "local" project representation into local chapters. A
                          >strong
                          >international organization will make it much easier to take the next
                          >step and of establishing
                          >effective local chapters and ensuring that the OSHCA "brand" and
                          >principles are consistently applied.....that's where having common DNA
                          >to start with becomes
                          >important.

                          I agree.
                          Do you think that the rules regarding local branches can be postponed?
                          This means that local branches can't be created "in the move". Why not?
                          But when?

                          What is your feeling about the other points (4.2 and 8)?

                          And, by the way, can someone explain the point about Trade unions?

                          Cheers,

                          Philippe
                        • Thomas Beale
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 10 1:50 AM
                            Currently, OSHCA mostly operates in an e-reality (i.e. this list + email
                            etc) and is likely to do so for some time. Therefore it is centralised
                            in the sense of a legal entity. Unless anyone wants to do any trading as
                            OSHCA locally, I would not think that incorporation anywhere but for the
                            "mother ship" is useful...not being incoporated doesn't mean that local
                            people can't do things, it just means they can't directly directly
                            accept payments to OSHCA (but they can of course use their own
                            institutions or companies acting as a "chapter" of OSHCA). Let's keep
                            things small and simple to start with please....

                            - thomas beale