Reflexions on Knowledge Modelling

  • Christian Heller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hello,

      as promised some weeks ago, I have written an article trying
      to describe some of the ideas behind CYBOP. It is called
      "Reflexions on Knowledge Modelling" and can be found at:
      http://cybop.berlios.de/papers/index.html

      It may not be of best quality, and was rejected by all evaluators
      for the upcoming (March 2006) conference SE 2006 in Leipzig, Germany.
      So you might not consider it worth being read.
      Find the rejection notification including criticisms at the same link.

      However, the good side of rejected articles is always
      that I can publish them much faster on my own :-)

      Regards,
      Christian
    • Koray Atalag
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        Dear Chistian,

        Well I am sorry that your paper was rejected; but
        maybe as you pointed out it is not a very bad thing at
        all...For the good of society and in the end
        individuals this is a more advantegous approach as all
        is free to reach the invaluable knowledge compiled
        into a format that was created some centuries ago!

        Well I recently had the sam frustration and it was
        more tragic for me because I had submitted a paper
        related with my thesis work and I can not get the
        degree if I do not haveat least two articles publihed
        in "international" and "cited" journals! This is an
        unwritten tradition of my University - METU...

        Don't you (ALL) think we badly need an Open Source and
        Free Journal in our domain. I strongly feel this must
        be a parallel approach with "free and open source
        software", real science (not the one performed now; I
        call them more as 'Acedemic Bureucrasy') is
        unfortunately lost in its own complexity :(...We have
        a funny saying about these kind of research in Turkey:
        "Research on quantitative analysis of Potassium in
        Flotulus!".

        And more funny, a Turkish TV channel in past made a
        program about how journals publish really really
        obscure papers just for political/economic reasons.
        They have written an article about a famous
        traditional Turkish meal which is known to produce a
        lot of flotulus (BTW for those without Medical
        terminology background, Flotulus=Fart!) when consumed.
        And they have written a so called 'academic paper' on
        that topic...And it was published in an Italian
        journal! Then it was a scandal as you might imagine :)

        In case a project starts to achieve this goal, I am
        ready to take part and commit considerable amount of
        my time with pleasure....

        Best regards,

        Dr. Koray Atalag

        --- Christian Heller <christian.heller@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > as promised some weeks ago, I have written an
        > article trying
        > to describe some of the ideas behind CYBOP. It is
        > called
        > "Reflexions on Knowledge Modelling" and can be found
        > at:
        > http://cybop.berlios.de/papers/index.html
        >
        > It may not be of best quality, and was rejected by
        > all evaluators
        > for the upcoming (March 2006) conference SE 2006 in
        > Leipzig, Germany.
        > So you might not consider it worth being read.
        > Find the rejection notification including criticisms
        > at the same link.
        >
        > However, the good side of rejected articles is
        > always
        > that I can publish them much faster on my own :-)
        >
        > Regards,
        > Christian

      • Christian Heller
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
          Dear Koray,

          > Well I recently had the sam frustration and it was
          > more tragic for me because I had submitted a paper
          > related with my thesis work and I can not get the
          > degree if I do not haveat least two articles publihed
          > in "international" and "cited" journals! This is an
          > unwritten tradition of my University - METU...

          same problem here as everywhere.
          Fortunately, I already have a few accepted papers.
          It is a house-made problem of professors and each University,
          since they all can decide whether to accept free sources or not.
          But even professors themselves are evaluated, by the government,
          after the number of publications in "cited" journals.
          Their reputation and the funding they get often depend on it.
          However, I think it is time to accept a citation of Wikipedia,
          for example. Many profs claim that it were not "scientific" enough.

          > Don't you (ALL) think we badly need an Open Source and
          > Free Journal in our domain. I strongly feel this must
          [..]

          There is one: http://www.josmc.org/

          By the way, does somebody know why my email did not arrive in the
          OpenEHR-technical mailing list?
          (I actually wrote the article because of a discussion with people there.)

          Best regards,
          Christian
        • Adrian Midgley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
            On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 23:32 -0800, Koray Atalag wrote:

            > Don't you (ALL) think we badly need an Open Source and
            > Free Journal in our domain. I strongly feel this must
            > be a parallel approach with "free and open source
            > software",

            JOSMC has been extant for some time

            http://www.josmc.org/editorialboard

            It was certainly before its time, and it may be that as FLOSS becoems
            the obvious way to do most things, it will prove redundant, and its
            standards certainly should be no lower than other journals...

            but submissions are welcome.

            --
            Dr Adrian Midgley
            www.defoam.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
              There is also the Public Library of Science (http://plos.org).

              -- Bhaskar

              On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 04:55 -0600, Adrian Midgley wrote:
              > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 23:32 -0800, Koray Atalag wrote:
              >
              > > Don't you (ALL) think we badly need an Open Source and
              > > Free Journal in our domain. I strongly feel this must
              > > be a parallel approach with "free and open source
              > > software",
              >
              > JOSMC has been extant for some time
              >
              > http://www.josmc.org/editorialboard
              >
              > It was certainly before its time, and it may be that as FLOSS becoems
              > the obvious way to do most things, it will prove redundant, and its
              > standards certainly should be no lower than other journals...
              >
              > but submissions are welcome.
              >

              > --
              > Dr Adrian Midgley
              > www.defoam.net

            • Tim Cook
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:33 +0100, Christian Heller wrote:
                > However, I think it is time to accept a citation of Wikipedia,
                > for example. Many profs claim that it were not "scientific" enough.

                Wikipedia is not peer-reviewed in any formal process. "All" professors
                should claim it is not scientific enough. That said, I do think most of
                the information there is quite accurate....but I still use caution and
                NEVER use it for reference.

                > > Don't you (ALL) think we badly need an Open Source and
                > > Free Journal in our domain. I strongly feel this must
                > [..]
                >
                > There is one: http://www.josmc.org/

                There is an online, peer-reviewed, free medical/health journal that is
                indexed and carries an (estimated) 2.0 impact factor:
                http://www.jmir.org/?JMIR_Home:Why_choose_JMIR%3F

                They are also offering to provide support for a new journal if you are
                ready to start one. See the website above for details.

                You can also submit relevant research information to OpenClinical for
                publication; http://www.openclinical.org/home.html Though I doubt it
                will count for your publication requirements for your degree???

                Cheers,
                --
                Tim Cook

              • Tim.Churches
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Tim Cook wrote:
                  > On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:33 +0100, Christian Heller wrote:
                  > > However, I think it is time to accept a citation of Wikipedia,
                  > > for example. Many profs claim that it were not "scientific" enough.
                  >
                  > Wikipedia is not peer-reviewed in any formal process. "All" professors
                  > should claim it is not scientific enough. That said, I do think most of
                  > the information there is quite accurate....but I still use caution and
                  > NEVER use it for reference.
                  >
                  > > > Don't you (ALL) think we badly need an Open Source and
                  > > > Free Journal in our domain. I strongly feel this must
                  > > [..]
                  > >
                  > > There is one: http://www.josmc.org/
                  >
                  > There is an online, peer-reviewed, free medical/health journal that is
                  > indexed and carries an (estimated) 2.0 impact factor:
                  > http://www.jmir.org/?JMIR_Home:Why_choose_JMIR%3F
                  >
                  > They are also offering to provide support for a new journal if you are
                  > ready to start one. See the website above for details.
                  >
                  > You can also submit relevant research information to OpenClinical for
                  > publication; http://www.openclinical.org/home.html Though I doubt it
                  > will count for your publication requirements for your degree???

                  What is wrong with BioMed Central medical Informatics and Decision
                  Making? It is peer-reviewed and indexed in Medline. Fully open access.
                  If your university is a member then you won't have to pay any author
                  fees. If not, the charges are about teh same as for JMIR, I think.

                  See http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcmedinformdecismak/

                  Tim C
                • Tim Cook
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                    On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 06:09 +1100, Tim.Churches wrote:

                    > What is wrong with BioMed Central medical Informatics and Decision
                    > Making?

                    Absolutely nothing. I haven't visited it in awhile and had forgotten
                    about it. Thanks for the reminder.

                    Cheers,
                    --
                    Tim Cook

                  • Koray Atalag
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Hi All,

                      Thanks for all your valuable input...I was really not
                      aware of the presence of such journals! Well, the
                      blame is partly on my side but this also points out to
                      the fact that their popularity is questionable?

                      I am going to share this knowledge with as many people
                      as possible on my reach...And definitely make some
                      publishments. Since the latter journal is Indexed in
                      PubMed and SCI-E I see no problem for my degree
                      requirement...

                      Again thanks a lot; you really enlightened a collegue
                      and I appreciate that.

                      Dr. Koray Atalag