Re: ECG open hardware device

  • Ozi
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23 12:17 PM
      --- In openhealth@yahoogroups.com, Tony McCormick <tony@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a open hardware spec for an ECG. The retail prices
      > of portable ECG devices that feed SW on a laptop are outrageous, based
      > on the hardware modules I've seen. With about $1500 per unit being
      > about average. There appears to be about $7.50 worth of hardware
      > involved, just guess on that price, heck, it might even be as much as
      > $25 ;-)
      >
      > I found one that was announced in 2004 on LinuxMEDNews, but the
      > schematics were not posted (though the website said the would be (long
      > ago)). There seems to be plenty of open software for data collection
      > and viewing but no hardware.
      >
      > http://linuxmednews.com/1088347230/index_html
      >
      > Tony McCormick
      > Medical Information Integration, LLC
      > www.mi-squared.com

      Though a rather late reply, this is an area of my interest. There used to be an open source hardware project at http://www.open-ecg-project.org/ which seems to be replaced by an advertisement site.

      Cost of a 12 lead PC based diagnostic USB-ECG is around 150 to 200 $. Of this amount, 50 $ goes to a quality ECG cable, 10-20 $ for a medical grade dc-dc converter. Casing, pcb board, Analog front ends, data isolation,DSP chip, manufacturing and testing, etc. nearly amounts to this total.

      There are now single chip ECG front ends from Texas (ADS1298) and Analog Devices (ADAS1000) which reduces the board estate and power consumption and simplifies the design.

      I have designed a few commercial ECG devices. Nowadays I am on the software side with Open Interface Resting ECG software for these devices.

      ozi
      www.ecg-soft.com