Open Source HIT and data.gov

  • fred trotter
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hi,
      More and more, I get interview requests asking for me to give the
      open source perspective to healthcare issues. Sometimes, the questions are
      excellent, showing pretty deep insights into the problems (other times the
      reporter has no clue what our movement is about)

      When a reporter asks me good questions, I like to reward them by
      giving them not only me own insights and opinions but also a sampling of
      what the community at large thinks. The better the question, the less likely
      I am to be certain of the answer.

      Recently, a reporter wanted my take on the information available
      from data.gov from the perspective of the FOSS health IT community. She
      asked the following specific questions that I wanted to pass on to the
      community at large. Feel free to reply to me privately if you have opinions
      you would prefer not to be recorded publicly.

      1. What is your view of the healthcare related data sets available on the
      www.data.gov Web site? How useful are they? Who are the likely users? Are
      there enough? Which ones do you find most promising?

      2. What additional healthcare related data sets would you like to see
      available on www.data.gov?

      3. How significant do you think www.data.gov is as an open source of health
      information? How would you like to see it evolve?

      4. Do you foresee any barriers to more healthcare data being shared via
      www.data.gov?

      --
      Fred Trotter
      http://www.fredtrotter.com

    • hungerregnuh
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
        Hi Fred,

        I skimmed over just the healthcare related categories and groups,
        haven't done the rest. Interesting sets of data, I think anyway, some
        useful data sets would be more information on healthcare spending across
        many organization's, not only medicare/medicaid, though this is likely
        going to be difficult of the statistics I have found they seem to vary
        widely. Granted its not something easy to track but maybe drilling down
        deeper to get more specific numbers that can be measured. Having some
        sense of healthcare expenditures I think would give some direction on
        which area's need to be fixed and which are important. Right now there
        seems to be a lot of educated guessing as to what to fix, not that
        there's anything wrong with guessing, but there seems to be no emperical
        evidence for folks to focus on.

        Regards,

        On 09/03/2009 02:42 PM, fred trotter wrote:

        > Hi,
        > More and more, I get interview requests asking for me to give the
        > open source perspective to healthcare issues. Sometimes, the questions are
        > excellent, showing pretty deep insights into the problems (other times the
        > reporter has no clue what our movement is about)
        >
        > When a reporter asks me good questions, I like to reward them by
        > giving them not only me own insights and opinions but also a sampling of
        > what the community at large thinks. The better the question, the less
        > likely
        > I am to be certain of the answer.
        >
        > Recently, a reporter wanted my take on the information available
        > from data.gov from the perspective of the FOSS health IT community. She
        > asked the following specific questions that I wanted to pass on to the
        > community at large. Feel free to reply to me privately if you have
        > opinions
        > you would prefer not to be recorded publicly.
        >
        > 1. What is your view of the healthcare related data sets available on the
        > www.data.gov Web site? How useful are they? Who are the likely users? Are
        > there enough? Which ones do you find most promising?
        >
        > 2. What additional healthcare related data sets would you like to see
        > available on www.data.gov?
        >
        > 3. How significant do you think www.data.gov is as an open source of
        > health
        > information? How would you like to see it evolve?
        >
        > 4. Do you foresee any barriers to more healthcare data being shared via
        > www.data.gov?
        >
        > --
        > Fred Trotter
        > http://www.fredtrotter.com <http://www.fredtrotter.com>

      • Matthew King
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
          Fred,

          This database is a goldmine for investigative journalists, activists,
          research groups, grantwriters etc. I have seen it being used more and more
          to provide data to these sorts of activities. For instance, a CHC might mine
          the data to show thing are diverging health outcomes by race (health
          disparities). This may then go into a grant application for money to improve
          the health status in a particular area for a particular population and with
          geospacial data, a particular location.

          It will become more and more important as the data gets refined and the
          investigators become more skilled.

          On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:42 PM, fred trotter <fred.trotter@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > More and more, I get interview requests asking for me to give the
          > open source perspective to healthcare issues. Sometimes, the questions are
          > excellent, showing pretty deep insights into the problems (other times the
          > reporter has no clue what our movement is about)
          >
          > When a reporter asks me good questions, I like to reward them by
          > giving them not only me own insights and opinions but also a sampling of
          > what the community at large thinks. The better the question, the less
          > likely
          > I am to be certain of the answer.
          >
          > Recently, a reporter wanted my take on the information available
          > from data.gov from the perspective of the FOSS health IT community. She
          > asked the following specific questions that I wanted to pass on to the
          > community at large. Feel free to reply to me privately if you have opinions
          > you would prefer not to be recorded publicly.
          >
          > 1. What is your view of the healthcare related data sets available on the
          > www.data.gov Web site? How useful are they? Who are the likely users? Are
          > there enough? Which ones do you find most promising?
          >
          > 2. What additional healthcare related data sets would you like to see
          > available on www.data.gov?
          >
          > 3. How significant do you think www.data.gov is as an open source of
          > health
          > information? How would you like to see it evolve?
          >
          > 4. Do you foresee any barriers to more healthcare data being shared via
          > www.data.gov?
          >
          > --
          > Fred Trotter
          > http://www.fredtrotter.com

        • Mark Spohr
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
            Data.gov looks like a good start but there really isn't very much
            health data there. I searched the "Health and Nutrition" category and
            it only came up with 61 records. Most of these were Medicare spending
            reports for various time periods.
            I know the government collects a lot more data than this and it should
            be on this site.

            .Mark

            On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM, fred trotter<fred.trotter@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >          More and more, I get interview requests asking for me to give the
            > open source perspective to healthcare issues. Sometimes, the questions are
            > excellent, showing pretty deep insights into the problems (other times the
            > reporter has no clue what our movement is about)
            >
            >          When a reporter asks me good questions, I like to reward them by
            > giving them not only me own insights and opinions but also a sampling of
            > what the community at large thinks. The better the question, the less likely
            > I am to be certain of the answer.
            >
            >         Recently, a reporter wanted my take on the information available
            > from data.gov from the perspective of the FOSS health IT community. She
            > asked the following specific questions that I wanted to pass on to the
            > community at large. Feel free to reply to me privately if you have opinions
            > you would prefer not to be recorded publicly.
            >

            > 1. What is your view of the healthcare related data sets available on the
            > www.data.gov Web site? How useful are they? Who are the likely users?  Are
            > there enough? Which ones do you find most promising?
            >

            > 2. What additional healthcare related data sets would you like to see
            > available on www.data.gov?
            >

            > 3. How significant do you think www.data.gov is as an open source of health
            > information? How would you like to see it evolve?
            >

            > 4. Do you foresee any barriers to more healthcare data being shared via
            > www.data.gov?
            >

            > --
            > Fred Trotter
            > http://www.fredtrotter.com

            Mark Spohr, MD
          • Stephen Beller
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
              Agreed. What we could really use is a comprehensive "biopsychosocial" (i.e.,
              biomedical, psychological and social) data set of signs, symptoms,
              treatments, history, etc. to help guide the development of health
              information tools that would be of meaningful use to clinicians, researchers
              and consumers. See, for example, an outline of such an extensive data set
              that we compiled 10 years ago at http://nhds.com/clinical_dataset.html.

              Steve Beller

              <mailto:fred.trotter%40gmail.com> > wrote:
              > Hi,
              > More and more, I get interview requests asking for me to give the
              > open source perspective to healthcare issues. Sometimes, the questions are
              > excellent, showing pretty deep insights into the problems (other times the
              > reporter has no clue what our movement is about)
              >
              > When a reporter asks me good questions, I like to reward them by
              > giving them not only me own insights and opinions but also a sampling of
              > what the community at large thinks. The better the question, the less
              likely
              > I am to be certain of the answer.
              >
              > Recently, a reporter wanted my take on the information available
              > from data.gov from the perspective of the FOSS health IT community. She
              > asked the following specific questions that I wanted to pass on to the
              > community at large. Feel free to reply to me privately if you have
              opinions
              > you would prefer not to be recorded publicly.
              >

              > 1. What is your view of the healthcare related data sets available on the
              > www.data.gov Web site? How useful are they? Who are the likely users? Are
              > there enough? Which ones do you find most promising?
              >

              > 2. What additional healthcare related data sets would you like to see
              > available on www.data.gov?
              >

              > 3. How significant do you think www.data.gov is as an open source of
              health
              > information? How would you like to see it evolve?
              >

              > 4. Do you foresee any barriers to more healthcare data being shared via
              > www.data.gov?
              >

              > --
              > Fred Trotter
              > http://www.fredtrotter.com

              Mark Spohr, MD

            • hungerregnuh
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
                Sorry,

                I didn't include this in my first email but it took some digging to find
                this link again.

                http://www.ahd.com/

                Something like the link above I think would be more useful.