Using Cell Phones to interface with OpenMRS

  • Fouad Bajwa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Everyone,

      I am in an activity where I am testing a series of tools to update a
      EMR using cell phones.

      I wanted to see how others have approached this issue and what has
      been their strategy and tool-set as its better to use something
      already there instead of re-inventing the wheel.

      Has anyone tried using OpenMRS updates using a Cell Phone. In this
      case, I am researching two options:

      1. SMS based updates to a server running OpenMRS and the facility to
      respond back

      2. A front end application that can give a simple interface on a
      hand-held to update patient records and preliminary check-up as well
      as prescription

      --

      Regards.
      --------------------------
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Fouad Bajwa wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I am in an activity where I am testing a series of tools to update a
        > EMR using cell phones.

        I have seen OSCAR accessed with an i-Phone - it seemed usable.

        --
        Jel Coward
        Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
          I am not sure if SMS has the same level of security in transport as the SSL enabled browser. I don't think transmitting private information without protection is acceptable under the current privacy legislation environment. Yes, OSCAR is accessible on any smart phone with a browser.

          David

          David H Chan, MD, CCFP, MSc, FCFP
          Associate Professor
          Department of Family Medicine
          McMaster University

          ________________________________
          > I am in an activity where I am testing a series of tools to update a
          > EMR using cell phones.

          I have seen OSCAR accessed with an i-Phone - it seemed usable.

          --
          Jel Coward
          Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
          http://OSCARcanada. org

        • Ime Asangansi
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2009
            Hi Fouad,
            Please what's the latest on this.Please can u share with us the state of the art or summary on this?Its really interesting
            TIA
            Ime

            I am in an activity where I am testing a series of tools to update a

            EMR using cell phones.

            I wanted to see how others have approached this issue and what has

            been their strategy and tool-set as its better to use something

            already there instead of re-inventing the wheel.

            Has anyone tried using OpenMRS updates using a Cell Phone. In this

            case, I am researching two options:

            1. SMS based updates to a server running OpenMRS and the facility to

            respond back

            2. A front end application that can give a simple interface on a

            hand-held to update patient records and preliminary check-up as well

            as prescription

            --

            Regards.

            Fouad Bajwa