portable meds list ?

  • Daniel L. Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
      On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 16:06 -0700, DAVY HOBSON wrote:

      > I read your article online from 1999. The last few years I have been
      > trying to come up with an idea to develope some type of disc or
      > software that stores and displays the medications and allergies
      > individuals have so that when they come to the hospital we do not have
      > to write down or input all those meds over and over. Do you know any
      > programmers who are medical saavy that might be interested in working
      > with me to come up with something we could sell or a service we could
      > rent to the public?
      >
      > Davy Hobson
      > 1011 Rhodes Drive
      > Tyler, Texas 7501
      > Cell 903 279 3395

      Y'know, it seems like such a good idea. And I've seen several
      technologies come and go over the years -- there's nothing that's caught
      on with the masses.

      In the current tech environment, I think the most feasible thing would
      be a https://MyMeds.org web site on which patients could create a meds
      list, and give the link to the doc or other provider.

      This would be captivating to the young folks who use MySpace, etc., and
      who are for the most part on no meds; and would be intimidating and
      infeasible for most of the geezers and geezerettes who make up the main
      medication-taking population. Just to be optimistic...

      In my experience, patients have a terrible time spelling their meds
      correctly even while looking straight at the bottles because the words
      are in a foreign lingo.

      And medication allergies and adverse side effects are very difficult to
      keep straight even when the paper record is comprehensive. An adverse
      response gets transmogrified to an "allergy" or the details of the
      reaction, sometimes important in the future, fail to get carried forward
      in a note.

      For example, a 60 year old woman received propafol, fentanyl, and
      clindamycin when an abscessed tooth was treated a few days ago; in
      consequence she developed a severe generalized urticarial eruption with
      secondary hypotension during the course of 4 days. A week later, in
      hospital, she began to remember that 20+ years ago she twice had itchy
      skin after receiving anesthesia and had been told by a consultant that
      "they should use something else" and "they" did without any itching.

      With considerable effort, I mined her records from another institution
      and found that in 1985 she'd had an episode of status epilepticus,
      treatment was associated with generalized dermatitis, which resolved
      only after phenobarbital was discontinued and replaced with
      carbamazepine.

      This barbiturate allergy did not get noted in her primary MD's record,
      was forgotten by the patient, and and so she had a recurrence,
      fortunately uncomfortable and expensive rather than injurious.

      This sort of thing - loss of continuity - is all too common, and it may
      not be made less likely by having yet one more clinical-data repository
      to check, even it it's in the patient's wallet.

      You might throw up your ideas on the openhealth list and see what the
      response is --

      Best wishes,

      Dan Johnson md
    • Tim Cook
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2007
        >From LinuxMedicalNews: http://www.linuxmednews.com/1191175453/index_html

        Dossia a consortium of companies for "Lifelong Personally-Controlled
        Health Record" has announced that they will be using the LGPL (a FOSS
        license) licensed Indivo personally controlled health record software
        for Boston's Childrens Hospital Information Program (CHIP) "Since the
        inception of the Indivo system in 1998, we have firmly held that the
        best way to get vital and private medical information to the point of
        care is under the strictest control of the individual," said Kenneth
        Mandl, MD, MPH, CHIP researcher at HST and physician in Emergency
        Medicine at Children's Hospital Boston. "Dossia and Children's share a
        common vision of promoting widespread adoption of personally controlled
        health records and are excited to be working together to make this
        vision a reality." Digg this article