Re: T & L with 3dfx (competition)

  • Isaack Rasmussen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
      No, 3dfx never released any TnL products. And yes, they have been bought up
      by NVIDIA.
      You will probably never see any new 3dfx products again.
      Don't forget Matrox and ATI as NVIDIA competitors.

      TnL HW,
      Geforce family
      ATI Radeon

      S3 Savage2000 was also supposed to have it, but I don't think that you
      should count on that one.

      Think on the positive side. With one less IHV, it will be a bit easier
      optimizing your application for the newest features. A bit easier to rely on
      specific HW features for gameplay features.

      Isaack

      Author: Isaack Rasmussen
      INET: ir1350@...

    • Chris Seddon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
        Hey,
        From what I have read the newest drivers by 3dfx have T&L however, it
        is only valid if you have a PIII/K6-2/3/Athlon. So basically your
        running HW T&L in emulation which really defeats the purpose when IHV's
        are supposed to optimize drivers for the processor instructions to
        begin with. Beyond the T&L, 3dfx has only hanging on by their balls,
        they cancelled their Voodoo5 6000 (128mb), and they said they were
        going to start producing just chips alone, then the nVidia acquisition
        took place. NVidia has not purchased all of 3dfx, but rather patents
        (like Glide, FSAA, T-Buffer), Trademarks (Voodoo Brand name), and some
        other things. Technically they did buy them out, but who cares, it
        sounds more friendly to say they bought the "core" aspects. The only
        thing left are the janitors and secretaries. =D NVidia has only emerged
        in the past 4 years and they beat 3dfx, so provided they don't do the
        typical monopolizing struggle that most computer companies do at one
        point or another, the end user should benefit eventually. If your
        wondering about the "typical monopolizing struggle", I mean that a
        company gets too big too quick, then starts to release trash or
        products which are not terribly different i.e. 3dfx Voodoo Banshee to
        Voodoo3.

        Wait to see what Matrox, and ATI both have to offer. I have been told
        that the next gen cards from Matrox will be close to NVidia speeds if
        not faster in real-world tests, plus Matrox's video cards are the best
        graphic quality around for consumer cards. ATI has also said they will
        produce a new radeon with dual chips so there are some good cards on
        the horizon.

        Woah, talked too damned long, as long as they *ALL* the IHV's support
        OpenGL for Win/Linux, and provide some cool new extensions to play
        with, I am happy!

        Chris

        PS. What do the rest of you think?

        -----

        Author: Chris Seddon
        INET: seddon@...

      • Keith Harrison
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
          Ha. People seem to have forgotten that 3dfx was once the market leader in
          consumer terms. How many end users bought a Voodoo 1 just so that they could
          play Quake? Now people are complaining because nVidia "got their act
          together" and did what was required to get themselves ahead in the market.

          I have to say that I'll cherish my Voodoo5 5500 though. It's FSAA looks
          really excellent, *and* damn fast (OK, it does have two chips to help it
          fillrate wise). Pity there's no T&L on it...

          Just my $0.02 ;-)

          Regards,
          Keith Harrison.

          -----

          Author: Keith Harrison
          INET: Keithhar@...

        • Keith Harrison
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2001
            Author: Keith Harrison
            INET: Keithhar@...

          • Adam Moravanszky
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2001
              >IIRC The V5 6000 has four VS100 chips. My V5 5500 has two chips, and that
              >is a f***er to install in my test machine - and there is only have one AGP
              >port by definition, so an AGP card can only go in one particular slot. How
              >on Earth were they going to fit four chips on a single card?
              >
              >Regards,
              >Keith Harrison.

              They were going to ship it with a little hacksaw, to let users put a hole in
              their case for the card to protrude through. :-)
              I could not find these pix anywhere on the web, so I scanned them from
              7/2000 edition of PC Games magazine:

              This is the Titanic of graphics boards:
              http://www.n.ethz.ch/student/adammo/images/V6/v6zoom.jpg
              This is 'Hassan Al-Tabatabaie' holding the card:
              http://www.n.ethz.ch/student/adammo/images/V6/v6dude.jpg

              I realized that 3dfx was having some serious problems when I first saw these
              pix.

              --
              --Adam Moravanszky

              -----

              Author: Adam Moravanszky
              INET: amoravanszky@...

            • Jelmer Cnossen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2001
                I don't know if you know it, but 3Dfx has been sold to nVidia for 2 weeks
                now. I've read it somewhere on Flipcode (www.flipcode.com)
                So I don't think there will be any new 3Dfx card

                - Jelmer Cnossen

                -----

                Author: Jelmer Cnossen
                INET: jelmerc@...