Ontario to get a new "Super-2" on Hwy 26

  • cameron_bevers
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11 11:10 AM
      This article was from MTO's website. I took particular notice of the
      details of "Phase 2". Enjoy!

      Cameron

      Eves government invests to realign highway 26 in Collingwood area

      COLLINGWOOD, ON, April 11 /CNW/ - To ease traffic congestion and
      improve
      road safety, the Ernie Eves government is moving forward with the
      first phase
      of a $30-million, two-phase initiative for the realignment of Highway
      26 from
      Collingwood to Wasaga Beach, Simcoe-Grey MPP Jim Wilson announced
      today on
      behalf of Transportation Minister Frank Klees.
      The first phase is a $2.48-million project to provide the
      clearing,
      grading and drainage along 5.6 kilometres of the new Highway 26
      route. There
      will be no impact on traffic during the project's two phases.
      "This new multi-million dollar investment to rebuild Highway 26
      on a new
      alignment from Collingwood to Wasaga Beach will mean easier and safer
      trips
      for tourists, recreation enthusiasts and local residents," Wilson
      said. "This
      multi-million-dollar investment in infrastructure will sustain and
      strengthen
      the Wasaga-Collingwood area's growing economy and quality of life."
      The contract was awarded to Fermar Paving of Rexdale.
      Construction began
      in late March and is expected to be completed by the end of 2003.
      "This project is a great example of the Ontario government's
      investment
      to ease traffic congestion and enhance road safety in our community,"
      said
      Klees. "This is good news for area residents and businesses who will
      enjoy
      safer and more efficient travel."
      This investment is part of the government's five-year, $20-billion
      SuperBuild initiative, designed to facilitate the largest
      infrastructure-
      building program in Ontario's history. Since 1995, the Ontario
      government has
      invested more than $7.5 billion in highway capital programs.
      For the most up-to-date information on highway construction and
      road
      conditions in the area, call the Ministry of Transportation's road
      information
      line, toll-free, at 1-800-265-5407.

      Backgrounder

      ONTARIO GOVERNMENT INVESTS IN
      HIGHWAY 26 REALIGNMENT IN WASAGA-COLLINGWOOD

      Approximately 14,500 vehicles travel on Highway 26 between
      Collingwood
      and Wasaga Beach each day. That is why our government will invest $30
      million
      to construct a new alignment for Highway 26 between Collingwood and
      Wasaga
      Beach to support this growing community and its tourism and cottage-
      based
      economy. To enable the work to begin this construction season, the
      project has
      been divided into two phases.

      Phase 1

      Work on the first phase, announced today, between Wasaga Beach
      and the
      Batteaux River, began in late March and is expected to be completed
      by the end
      of 2003.
      This contract, worth $2.48 million, includes ground clearing,
      grading and
      drainage improvements between Wasaga Beach and the Batteaux River.

      Phase 2

      This phase is expected to cost more than $28 million. Design and
      property
      acquisition for Phase 2 is underway. Construction of this multi-
      million dollar
      project is expected to begin in 2004 if the necessary property can be
      acquired.

      This phase will involve:

      - the remaining grading work for four lanes between Wasaga
      Beach and
      the Batteaux River;
      - paving of two lanes throughout the entire length of the
      project;
      - a new interchange at local Airport Road;
      - a new grade separation at Fairgrounds Road, and
      - the closure of Nottawa Road.

      Ontario Government Investments in Simcoe-Grey since 1995

      Since 1995, the Government of Ontario has invested more than $73
      million
      for highway infrastructure in the Simcoe-Grey area and more than
      $450,000 for
      transit capital and operating costs, and to replace and upgrade
      Collingwood's
      transit fleet.
    • a_onion
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11 4:04 PM
        This sounds like an excellent project. I hope that they use this
        same sort of idea when they rebuild highway 15, but that's probably
        not going to be the case.

        Nova Scotia and New Brunswick used to have quite a few super 2's but
        now with all the federal highway money that has been spent there in
        the last 10 years or so, they are mostly all full freeways now.

        Any other projects that should be handled like this?

        Jeff

      • Stéphane Dumas
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11 4:52 PM
          Nova Scotia and New Brunswick used to have quite a few super 2's but now with all the federal highway money that has been spent there in the last 10 years or so, they are mostly all full freeways now.

          Any other projects that should be handled like this?

          Québec had build A-55 as a super-2 between Sherbrooke and Drommundville but due to numerous accidents, it's currently being 4-laned by stretchs for more safety, A-73 from Ste-Marie to St-Joseph is a super-2 as well (and it will be extended to St-Georges as a super-2 as well), A-50 is planned to be a super-2 between Lachute and Masson. A-20 (Rimouski bypass) is a super-2 with climbing lanes at selected places)

          Stéphane Dumas

        • captainbeowulf
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11 7:12 PM
            --- In ontroads@yahoogroups.com, "a_onion" <a_onion@y...> wrote:
            > This sounds like an excellent project. I hope that they use this
            > same sort of idea when they rebuild highway 15, but that's
            probably
            > not going to be the case.
            >
            > Nova Scotia and New Brunswick used to have quite a few super 2's
            but
            > now with all the federal highway money that has been spent there
            in
            > the last 10 years or so, they are mostly all full freeways now.
            >
            > Any other projects that should be handled like this?

            I don't know - NB 11 and most of NS 101 and 103, as well as TCH 104
            between New Glasgow and Antigonish and in and area between
            Antigonish and Cape Breton Island are still super 2's.

            Robert
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 15 12:30 PM
              this is big news! i will say that! i cant wait to see this open! :D!
              hurray we will have a 426! :D

              Mark Mirrlees
              Moderator

              --- In ontroads@yahoogroups.com, "cameron_bevers" <cameron@c...>