Andy Williams comments on BSB

  • Amarylis Aponte
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2006
      Credit for this goes to Angela at Carter_Factor and ~*Phire*~
      Thanks to *Little* @ LD

      Andy Williams loves "I'll Never Break Your Heart"

      PERFORMING ARTS
      Monday, December 25, 2006; Page C05

      Easy-listening crooner Andy Williams has not so much mellowed with age as aged into his innate mellowness. At DAR Constitution Hall Saturday night he sang -- and danced! -- with a vigor seemingly impossible for a 79-year-old man, gliding onstage while singing his signature holiday tune, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year." Age has taken some of the effortless timbre Williams's voice once possessed, but give the guy a break.

      After four more Christmas songs drenched in the schmaltzy tones of his 10-piece band's three keyboards, Williams stopped, puzzlingly, to answer questions submitted by audience members before the concert. This lasted 20 minutes -- as long as the opening set of songs -- during which those dying to know how Williams stays in shape or whether that's his real hair (it is) had their Christmas wishes granted.

      The National Philharmonic at the Music Center at Strathmore. Over the weekend the orchestra and its chorus presented an emotional "Messiah." (By Jill Bochicchio)
      Williams was charming and good-humored throughout this long interlude, peppering his answers with jokes, one of them even vaguely PG-rated.

      Some surprising song choices finished out the first half: Chris de Burgh's "Lady in Red" held up to the lounge treatment, and "Every Breath You Take" sounded oddly close to the Police's 1983 original. Before he sang the Backstreet Boys' "I'll Never Break Your Heart," Williams commented, "I love the song -- it's the Backstreet Boys I don't like," as though reassuring a troubled constituency.

      http://mail.yahoo.com