BACKSTREET BOYS: 'WE WERE DESTINED TO BE TOGETHER'

  • Amarylis Aponte
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2013

      Credit goes to Kaos-Online and Laura Gaskin

      It’s hard to believe that it’s already been 20 years since Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Kevin Richardson, Brian Littrell and A.J. McLean first came together to form what would become the mega-superstar boy band known as the Backstreet Boys. Today, the group is stronger than ever as they gear up to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, release their first indie album, premiere a documentary and embark on a massive world tour. The “Larger than Life” singers connected with their fans at a special event at the Fonda Theater in Los Angeles on April 20, where they opened up about working together, fatherhood (Howie just welcomed his second child and Kevin announced he is expecting his second) and upcoming wedding plans (Nick is engaged to Lauren Kitt).

      On the status of their upcoming album:
      Nick Carter: “It’s 95 percent done. It’s in the mixing stage right now so we’re just waiting for Max Martin to finish up the last song, which may very well turn out to be the first single. Overall, it’s a great pop album. Its has some dance-y type stuff, but it’s a little bit more mature. There are various producers on the album. It really meshes all well together and it sounds great.”
      “The good thing about it is that we wrote, I would say, about 75 percent of the stuff so it really reflects who we are.”

      On why Kevin Richardson decided to come back to the group after leaving for a while:
      Kevin Richardson: “We’ve had so many experiences. We have a chemistry that’s really special. We have a dynamic when we come together, it’s like that old friend you haven’t seen in a long time and as soon as you see them you pick right up where you left off. That’s the way
      it is with us … A.J. and I wrote a song to our children. To do that is powerful. I’m getting choked up talking about it right now.”

      On being able to finally write their own music:
      A.J. McLean: “We posted up for three weeks in London to start the recording and writing process. This is our very first album that we’ve done ourselves. We’re now an indie band because we don’t have a label anymore.”
      “It’s been an awesome experience … to be able to have complete and utter creative control over this process, to be able to write about whatever we want to write about, personal things that are going on in our lives, being fathers, talking about bullying, talking about love, loss, whatever means something to us.”

      On the most rewarding part of fatherhood:
      Howie Dorough: “I think the most rewarding part is that knowing when I get older, I’ll have somebody to take care of me. The fact that when I go home, I realize that there are other things in life. This industry, it’s such a great thing, but you can get very easily self-consumed. My kids have been able to teach me how to become selfless and say, ‘It’s not all about me. There’s other life out there.’ If not, I’d be a lonely person. The bad thing about it is probably, right now in the early stages, the sleeping habits aren’t the greatest. I actually look forward to getting out of the house and on the road where I can get a good night’s sleep.”

      On dealing with email overload:
      Nick Carter: “Do you want to know something juicy? We’re having an issue right now with our emails. We have a lot of emails that we wake up to every single day with the group so about 40 to 50 on one subject.”
      “It’s juicy because we get into fights over it. It’s all about the album. Since we have control over the album and the songs and stuff. We’re experienced to the point where we trust each other, but the emails are too much.”

      On advice to Kevin Richardson, who’s expecting his second child:
      Howie Dorough: “I tell him to start sleeping right now, banking as many hours as he can right now because he won’t be getting any later. Hopefully, we can plan the tour around the time that she has the baby so he can get out of the house really quickly. No, Kevin is such a great dad. Once you get over the first few months, you realize you already did it once.”

      On wedding planning:
      Nick Carter: “It’s difficult to plan, but I think that’s why we were setting it for early next year. … I let [my fiancee Lauren Kitt] do it all.”

      On the Backstreet Boys’ children becoming singers:
      Howie Dorough: “Absolutely. I love what I do. I don’t have any regrets. I look back and I realize that I’ve had a blessed life. If my son wants to get into this and have as good of a life as I have, then I would encourage him for sure.”

      On what the living situation will be like on tour:
      Howie Dorough: “We’re not staying in the same hotel rooms any more. We’ve stopped that. We’re not sleeping in double beds in one room anymore. Hopefully, we’ve made a couple of bucks on this next tour and we can afford it. It depends on where we go. Each country is kind of different. In the States, we normally try to bring our families with us, our loved ones, our friends. Sometimes overseas, depending on how the schedule is, we’ll sometimes go ourselves. It kind of all just depends on what the schedule looks like.”

      On the messiest member of the group:
      Nick Carter: “I’ll take it right now. I was probably the worst roommate. I knew it was going to get thrown at me anyways. I was just a messy little kid.”

      On tour essentials:
      Howie Dorough: “Probably our computers, our telephones and our credit cards. A.J. used to have a blanket, but he lost it one time. It was so sad.”
      Nick Carter: “Now he has a monkey. He literally brings a stuffed animal on the road. He’s weird — insecurity issue he still deals with.”

      On what kept the band together for 20 years:
      A.J. McLean: “If this was any other combination of five guys, it wouldn’t have worked. We were destined to be together. It was fate for us to be together. Two of these guys are cousins by blood — family. We’re all a family now. Over the past 20 years, we’ve seen highs, lows, good and bad. We’ve been an amazing support team for one another.”

      On the band being like brothers:
      Howie Dorough: “We don’t agree on everything all of the time, but it’s just like brothers. We don’t always see eye to eye, but we all have the same common goal, which is longevity, respect amongst our peers and to make great quality pop music for all of our loyal die hard fans. It’s very surreal for us to still sell out arenas if we don’t play on the radio or have billboards up and down Sunset Boulevard. Because we still have such a loyal fan base, we’re able to go on tour and put on an amazing show for all of our fans.”

      On receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame:
      Howie Dorough: “It’s one of those things that I think is really a milestone, an accomplishment that not everybody in the world can have. We had to be nominated for it and it just goes to the fact that we have an unbelievable fan base around the world, especially right here in the States, that have really grown up with us and want to see our legacy go on. That imprint will hopefully be in the street for many years to come, past our lives, past our kids’ lives and whatever else may come after that.”

      Source:  MSN Wonderwall