Re: [of] How do You Do e-Networking?

  • Nancy White
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
      At 11:36 AM 10/3/2003, you wrote:
      >So, I am going to ask the experts here to provide some ideas, formulas or
      >web sites to use in networking on a professional level using the many tools
      >available for on-line networking.

      First, from a software standpoint, check out Cynthia Typaldo's
      WebCommunities emailing list. She has be posting A LOT on this recently

      then... my brainstormlets

      * Three levels. Core, inner and outer. Have a strategy to keep a line of
      sight to each of these parts of my network.
      * Core: IM, EMail, phone. Know what they are interested in. If you see
      something related, send them the link. Be a source - electronic
      communication makes that easy.
      * INner: regular letting them know what I'm doing (e newsletters, postings
      on my website), invites to events you are at, visits when you are passing
      through
      * Outer - use social networking web tools (Ryze, LinkedIn, etc), publish,
      speak at events, respond to weblog postings when there is a comment
      feature. Be visible with thoughtful content. Answer random emails

      Regular review:

      * think about the three levels of your network. Draw a picture. Visualize
      it. Where is it strong? Where are their gaps, what are the interesting
      outer fringes. Make a plan to explore the fringes or fill the gaps. The
      visualization is important to me. Can use tools or a pen and paper.
      Huminity, mindmanager, the brain, etc

      (sorry, doing this really fast on a little lunch break)

      Nancy White - Full Circle Associates - http://www.fullcirc.com - 206-517-4754
      October Distributed CoP MuckAbout! http://www.fullcirc.com/ws/muckabout.htm

    • noreen sullivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2003
        I liked what Nancy had to say however I would need to know more about
        the specific group.
        For example Tribe.net is a great resource because it allows you to port
        over a group.
        However if there are privacy issues then I would recommend linked in. '
        Ryze and linked in work very differently one allows random searching
        while the other
        is more directed to requesting a high level contact. If you are a b3b
        selling at a high level
        then linked in may work better for you . If you are b2c your focus may
        be volume and a
        the number of contacts may be more valuable than the quality of those
        contacts.
        If the product is very specific a professional organization may be best.
        It is important to examine what works for the people off line. If they
        get ninety percent of
        there business through referral then something like elite leads
        referral group would
        work better than a yahoo group. The e-networking style of the person
        will not be that
        different than the in person style. If a person is shy in person they
        may lurk on line.
        I am giving a talk on social networking skills on the twenty third of
        Oct. for MBA students
        at UCF. However if there is space available the public can attend. In
        the seminar
        we help determine how you network in person, what personal networks you
        have,
        how to make them stronger and what is right for each person. If anyone
        is interested
        they may contact me off list.

        Noreen
      • CHRISTOPHER CHARLES LANG
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
          Dutch Asked:
          "I am being asked to give a 6-minute presentation on tips for a group of
          consultants on how to e-Network for referrals, prospects or clients.  The
          presentation will be next Friday Oct. 12th, 2003."

          Here's a futurist angle:
          Technology shifts us from "push" communication to "pull" communication--instead of relying on advertising to inform our purchases, the Internet (especially with artificial agents) holds the possibility of helping us gather information for ourselves. The "push" communication that remains is likely to be handled through collaborative filtering (i.e. whenever other similar people find things interesting, they automatically get recommended to us). This means that advertising and networking are both endangered species.

          Network in the short-term, but this futurist predicts that long-term success will be achieved by (1) making it easier for search engines to properly classify you, and (2) publicly posting useful things that will get recommended wid
          ely. In other words, have a good website. We are moving towards a world in which the 'net does the networking for us.

          Best Wishes,

          Chris

          CHRIS LANG
          clang@...
          UW-Madison philosophy dept. and M.B.A. program
          http://philosophy.wisc.edu/lang
        • Max Schupbach
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
            like this viewpoint, for no other reason, that it
            is what I always did if I needed something, but
            like the underlying philosophy. We are maybe
            emancipating from consumers to people and hope
            also for people on the other side and not a
            salesperson ;-)

            best wishes back

            Max

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.4000197.5214659.1261
            774/D=egroupweb/S=1705004924:HM/A=1750876/R=0/SIG=
            11v1mrq3u/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page
            =1762-1062629109228440> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.4000197.5
            214659.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1750876/rand=9
            82383682>

            to unsubscribe:
            .com>

            http://www.fullcirc.com/community/communitymanual.
            htm

            Terms of Service
            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Dutch Driver
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
              Colorful argument, Chris.

              Futurist views of the web have turned out to be less than prescient.

              If I get the gist of your message, it is the old canard to build a better
              mousetrap (web site) the world will beat path to your door? I think the
              Apple Macintosh, Netscape Browser and Sony Betamax would have something to
              say about that strategy.

              Linux is not taking over the world by any means.

              I ran across blogs over two years ago and few people I know were talking
              about them. In business circles, they are not well-known out side of IT
              insiders.

              The talk radio on the gubernatorial recall out hear reported that thousands
              of people with voice mail received a political voicemail ad from Al Gore to
              vote no on the recall.

              I know there are many who are text-centric, but audio and visual information
              is the path the future will certainly take as memory chips and storage
              capacity continue to decline in cost; while bandwidth capacity of the home
              user increases.

              It will be interesting to see how the next search engine technology having
              to index the content with millions of personal video and audio files. I
              heard that the TV industry already has data tools to index and
              cross-reference the millions of hours of video it produces. Don’t be
              surprised to see something coming from that sector one of these days.

              Great Optimism,

              Dutch Driver
              San Bruno, CA 94066