CENTS 2013 Young Professionals Summit

  • Emily Showalter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2012

      Hello, Next Gen Committee!

      In planning for CENTS 2013, we realized that we have management courses for seasoned veterans with years of industry experience and programs for students and those not yet working in the Green Industry, but no programs specifically for our group – young professionals age 23-40 who will be the next leaders of the industry.

      ONLA Staff has recently come up with an exciting new event to bring education to this demographic – the ONLA Young Professionals Leadership Summit. We are SO excited about this event and we think our committee can be an integral part of making this Summit a success at CENTS.

      Please look over the attached file and provide your feedback on session topics and possible speakers by next Wednesday June 27th. We need your suggestions and comments to make this a great learning experience for all attendees!

      During the Summit , we will need volunteers at registration, the roundtable discussions, speed networking and to introduce speakers. Once we have finalized the agenda/topics/speakers, we will focus on areas that need volunteer coordination and ask for your participation.

      The timing of the event is still being finalized but we are thinking of doing the Young Professionals Summit on Wednesday of CENTS.  We are still planning on doing the Exploratory Conference for the FFA/High School students, but moving that to Tuesday, the same day as the Career Marketplace. Please also include your thoughts on the timing of the events.

      We can’t wait to hear what you think!

      Thanks,
      Emily

      PS… there will be another short email to follow regarding your participation in some other upcoming events!

    • Emily Showalter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2012

        I have not heard any comments from any other committee members!

        What are your thoughts???

        Here are mine:

        Overall, the NEW ONLA Young Professionals Leadership Summit is a great concept.

        Although I think all of the ideas for speakers are good, the sessions I would pick would be:

        12:30-1:00 – 3 Secrets to Young, Professional Leadership

        1:00-1:30 – Round table – good idea, will give a change of pace and a chance for participants to meet each other before the break out sessions!

        1:30-2:00 – Finances/Investing – I think both of these would be good, but would choose “Money Matters, Beyond the Basics” if we need to pick one

        2:00-2:30 – People Skills in a Competitive Environment OR Conflict Management

        2:30-3:00- Speed Networking – OFA has something similar, and it was a huge success last year

        3:00-3:30 – Career Growth – growing from employee to manager

        I think if this goes well in 2013, we could offer a selection of classes for 2014.  Without us knowing what the attendance will be, it may not be wise plan multiple speakers and have low attendance.

        Also… is attending this event free with CENTS registration? Or will there be an additional cost?

        We talked about doing some sort of “Certificate of Participation” for the exploratory conference for the FFA students.  Do we think a Certificate of Completion for the Young Professionals Summit would also be of interest (…. Thinking “more things for young professionals to list on their resumes!”)

        Please try to submit your comments by the end of the day today, tomorrow at the latest! We need everyone’s input to make this event a success.

        Thanks,

        Emily

        Willoway Nurseries, Inc.

        (440) 934-4435 x2230

[...]