Re: Cutting wood

  • haffdaddy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2010
      UFO: Tales From The Dark Side or Man Your Life Boats

      Yes today I cut wood! And it was good for me. A lot of people gave that look. And I knew what they were thinking. Has he taken his medication today? But I didn't care because I was cutting wood.

      So with the pattern I made up from the left over plywood I marked my sides for there fate. I champed both sheets together, with good sized out. I know some people like to see the good side on the inside where they are. But I worry about what people are saying, so the good side is on the outside.

      Soon the cutting was done and I looked at my work and said yes! Yes you are a boat builder and well that's when it hit me. The van will not take 8 ft long of anything. So I had them cut off 12 inch.

      So in others words I made a bobo as I forgot that the UFO, was 6'9". But I had done my cutting on the 7 ft long piece. So out comes the pattern and soon everything is done right, I think? The center section from the start of the curve at both ends is 33 inch long. But the
      over the hump length is 7'9".

      The so now I have a whole new boat to be added to the list of One Sheet Wonders, The Bobo boat.

      Greg
    • Thomas De Meijer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2010
        I feel the same way when I start a project. Its just unreal after way
        too much thinking to finally get going and actually do something.

        When I had built appie, pretty much finished, I was sitting there looking at it, I suddenly remembered I was going to have a forward angled bow. Rather than straight up. I completely forgot about it while building. Oh well. Just make sure it fits in the car or wherever it needs to fit, the rest doesn't matter.

        Keep it up.
        -Thomas

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2010
          Morning: My pore choise of wood spelled
          boom right away as the front got crushed
          so back to lunber yard and another go at
          It. Just can't do curves. Thinking I will just
          To a barge so I can get on the water this
          summer and next winter start a better boat
          then. At one taco short of 400 lbs does
          make a one sheet boat well more of
          building project then anything I could ever
          use. Building a Bolger Breakdown /
          Shoebox Punt right now as it will just hold
          They are really the same boat just the
          Shoebox has less pieces and is lighter
          Anyway
          Greg

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2010
            Hi Greg,

            The Bobo boat, I think you will find ask anyone who builds a boat that's all part of the fun. Its a game of fixing mistakes until you have a boat. Because where human and not machine, one has to take in the human element of allowing for Bobo`s. Its all part of the experience of learning and hopefully remembering on the next project.

            The key to boat building is walking away from your mistakes for a while and when you come back after a long walk or the couch, the problem doesn't seem so major. Remember to not rush and expect mistakes. Human perseverance is what makes the final product that much more enjoyable on the water when you can look back in hindsight and laugh about it.

            Human perfection doesn't exist, try to except the mistakes and remember the goal is to get on the water and then perfect the minor imperfections. You will get scape`s and dings so don't worry about the finish to much, that's for winter when your boat is in the dry dock, after being tried and found to be true.

            Your doing well, keep up the good work, - Cheers Phil.

            > UFO: Tales From The Dark Side or Man Your Life Boats
            >
            > Yes today I cut wood! And it was good for me. A lot of people gave that look. And I knew what they were thinking. Has he taken his medication today? But I didn't care because I was cutting wood.
            >
            > So with the pattern I made up from the left over plywood I marked my sides for there fate. I champed both sheets together, with good sized out. I know some people like to see the good side on the inside where they are. But I worry about what people are saying, so the good side is on the outside.
            >
            > Soon the cutting was done and I looked at my work and said yes! Yes you are a boat builder and well that's when it hit me. The van will not take 8 ft long of anything. So I had them cut off 12 inch.
            >
            > So in others words I made a bobo as I forgot that the UFO, was 6'9". But I had done my cutting on the 7 ft long piece. So out comes the pattern and soon everything is done right, I think? The center section from the start of the curve at both ends is 33 inch long. But the
            > over the hump length is 7'9".
            >
            > The so now I have a whole new boat to be added to the list of One Sheet Wonders, The Bobo boat.
            >
            > Greg

          • Greg Haff
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2010
              Phil: Thanks for the words Not giving up
              by a long shot. Still having fun and learning
              stuff. Off to lumber yard, going to let him
              do most of the cutting. They seem quite
              happy to see me, wonder why? Remember
              that Pleasure Barge I sent you? Lots
              of long cuts with out a curve anywhere.
              Your One Sheet Wonder page is still up
              400 plus for April 2010 and that was just
              My first month. So people are seeing it and
              I hope it draws them to your group or gets
              them thinking at lease.
              Later
              Greg

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 2, 2010, at 6:47 PM, "jbrotorua" <cyrptsofalzaria@...> wrote:

              Hi Greg,

              The Bobo boat, I think you will find ask anyone who builds a boat that's all part of the fun. Its a game of fixing mistakes until you have a boat. Because where human and not machine, one has to take in the human element of allowing for Bobo`s. Its all part of the experience of learning and hopefully remembering on the next project.

              The key to boat building is walking away from your mistakes for a while and when you come back after a long walk or the couch, the problem doesn't seem so major. Remember to not rush and expect mistakes. Human perseverance is what makes the final product that much more enjoyable on the water when you can look back in hindsight and laugh about it.

              Human perfection doesn't exist, try to except the mistakes and remember the goal is to get on the water and then perfect the minor imperfections. You will get scape`s and dings so don't worry about the finish to much, that's for winter when your boat is in the dry dock, after being tried and found to be true.

              Your doing well, keep up the good work, - Cheers Phil.

              > UFO: Tales From The Dark Side or Man Your Life Boats
              >
              > Yes today I cut wood! And it was good for me. A lot of people gave that look. And I knew what they were thinking. Has he taken his medication today? But I didn't care because I was cutting wood.
              >
              > So with the pattern I made up from the left over plywood I marked my sides for there fate. I champed both sheets together, with good sized out. I know some people like to see the good side on the inside where they are. But I worry about what people are saying, so the good side is on the outside.
              >
              > Soon the cutting was done and I looked at my work and said yes! Yes you are a boat builder and well that's when it hit me. The van will not take 8 ft long of anything. So I had them cut off 12 inch.
              >
              > So in others words I made a bobo as I forgot that the UFO, was 6'9". But I had done my cutting on the 7 ft long piece. So out comes the pattern and soon everything is done right, I think? The center section from the start of the curve at both ends is 33 inch long. But the
              > over the hump length is 7'9".
              >
              > The so now I have a whole new boat to be added to the list of One Sheet Wonders, The Bobo boat.
              >
              > Greg

            • jbrotorua
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2010
                Hi Greg, that's good news, good to hear the group is getting some good recognition, thanks.