Appie

  • Thomas de Meijer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hi all,

      Finally, after a week of relaxed building, finally Appie (pronounced as if
      you're dutch, "uppy") is finished. We launched, first in the pool, and
      then went to the lake. There was too much wind and I had only some
      makeshift oarlocks and plastic baby-oars, but we launched nevertheless.
      Works great! Rowing's a little awkward, with no-where to put your legs so
      you have to kneel. Even with the rough water only a litte water came
      onboard.

      Appie is built from various pieces of ply I've picked up here and there
      the last few years, all the wood comes from pallets. Only hand tools were
      used in the construction. Don't ever build on a deck if you can help it!
      We lost 3 pencils and half a box of nails.

      Length is 1.4m, width 0.8m and depth 0.3m. Freeboard is about 20cm, and
      weight 11 or so kg's.

      I've made a photo album in the photo's section, called Appie.

      greetings,
      Thomas

      --
      http://www.tdem.co.nz
    • jbrotorua
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
        Hi all, Thomas awesome boat! its like a cross between a Boldger Tortoise and a pdf racer, well done.
        I have had some time off and built a few more of my designs, a tubby and another Bojak, will post some pics soonish, and yes plans are slowly but surely being done on computer to update my designs for anyone whose interested in building one of my ideas.

        Post more photos!!!!!!! members. Cheers Phil.

        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Finally, after a week of relaxed building, finally Appie (pronounced as if
        > you're dutch, "uppy") is finished. We launched, first in the pool, and
        > then went to the lake. There was too much wind and I had only some
        > makeshift oarlocks and plastic baby-oars, but we launched nevertheless.
        > Works great! Rowing's a little awkward, with no-where to put your legs so
        > you have to kneel. Even with the rough water only a litte water came
        > onboard.
        >
        > Appie is built from various pieces of ply I've picked up here and there
        > the last few years, all the wood comes from pallets. Only hand tools were
        > used in the construction. Don't ever build on a deck if you can help it!
        > We lost 3 pencils and half a box of nails.
        >
        > Length is 1.4m, width 0.8m and depth 0.3m. Freeboard is about 20cm, and
        > weight 11 or so kg's.
        >
        > I've made a photo album in the photo's section, called Appie.
        >
        > greetings,
        > Thomas
        >
        > --
        > http://www.tdem.co.nz

      • flyingfrog55
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2010
          Hey Thomas ..
          great little boat!
          -----------------------
          [By: tdemeijer File Name: dsc02559.jpg]
          I like this pic ... I can read your mind ..
          "damn .. I forgot the milk jugs!"
          ~Frog~
          =====================

          --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "jbrotorua" <cyrptsofalzaria@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          Thomas awesome boat! its like a cross between a Boldger Tortoise and a pdf racer, well done.
          > I have had some time off and built a few more of my designs, a tubby and another Bojak, will post some pics soonish, and yes plans are slowly but surely being done on computer to update my designs for anyone whose interested in building one of my ideas.
          >
          > Post more photos!!!!!!! members. Cheers Phil.
          > ================================
          >
          > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Finally, after a week of relaxed building, finally Appie (pronounced as if
          > > you're dutch, "uppy") is finished. We launched, first in the pool, and
          > > then went to the lake. ...
        • Thomas de Meijer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2010
            Haha. Surprisingly little water came in. Had Appie out for a row a couple
            of days ago, I've made some proper oarlocks, and the water was pretty
            flat. Works fantastic!

            --
            http://www.tdem.co.nz
          • flyingfrog55
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2010
              .. but ...no milk jugs? ...
              how bout a noodle float around the sheer outside?
              actually .. would dress the ol girl up some ...
              no thoughts of 'Oh~oo' 50 ft off the beach?
              hahah ... I like it ...
              it's all good .. might throw one together myself.
              ---------------------------
              Q: can you get back in if your on the wrong side of the boat?
              --------------------------
              close to post
              ~Frog~
              ==============================

              --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@...> wrote:

              > Haha. Surprisingly little water came in. Had Appie out for a row a couple
              > of days ago, I've made some proper oarlocks, and the water was pretty
              > flat. Works fantastic!
              >
              > On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:13:07 +1300, flyingfrog55 <flyingfrog55@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Hey Thomas ..
              > > great little boat!
              > > -----------------------
              > > [By: tdemeijer File Name: dsc02559.jpg]
              > > I like this pic ... I can read your mind ..
              > > "damn .. I forgot the milk jugs!"
              > > ~Frog~
              > > =====================
              > >

              > --
              > http://www.tdem.co.nz

            • jbrotorua
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2010
                Plastic drainage pipes with 45 angles each end and the glue used to cold weld plastic spouting is a good option for flotation.

                Good stuff keep posting, "awesome economical thrifty lightweight more adventurous than a big boat". Keep up the good work and keep downsizing - one sheet wonderz yeaha!

                --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "flyingfrog55" <flyingfrog55@...> wrote:

                > .. but ...no milk jugs? ...
                > how bout a noodle float around the sheer outside?
                > actually .. would dress the ol girl up some ...
                > no thoughts of 'Oh~oo' 50 ft off the beach?
                > hahah ... I like it ...
                > it's all good .. might throw one together myself.
                > ---------------------------
                > Q: can you get back in if your on the wrong side of the boat?
                > --------------------------
                > close to post
                > ~Frog~
                > ==============================
                >
                > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Haha. Surprisingly little water came in. Had Appie out for a row a couple
                > > of days ago, I've made some proper oarlocks, and the water was pretty
                > > flat. Works fantastic!
                > >
                > > On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:13:07 +1300, flyingfrog55 <flyingfrog55@>
                > > wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hey Thomas ..
                > > > great little boat!
                > > > -----------------------
                > > > [By: tdemeijer File Name: dsc02559.jpg]
                > > > I like this pic ... I can read your mind ..
                > > > "damn .. I forgot the milk jugs!"
                > > > ~Frog~
                > > > =====================
                > > >

                > > --
                > > http://www.tdem.co.nz

              • Thomas de Meijer
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 29, 2010
                  For the moment no floatation. I'm not too worried. I can swim, I wear a
                  life jacket, and I'm on a pretty small lake. I'm not sure about
                  re-entering. I'm gonna have to try that!
                  -Thomas

                  --
                  http://www.tdem.co.nz