Re: How much resin for Boyak/Bojak?

  • KEN
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2013
      I'd bought about a gallon a couple years ago to do my electric boat with.
      this was a 2:1 ratio epoxy, total more like 1.25 gallons, still have 1/3 of it left!
      the electric is about 1.5 sheets for bottom and another 1.5 sheets for sides.
      bottom covered in 6oz cloth and graphited epoxy for toughness,
      sides done in 4oz cloth and straight epoxy resin, both double coated!

      with one sheet boats, polyester resin and 6oz cloth,
      one quart is usually a bit more than enough to do with,
      fast-easy grab off the shelf at the local hardware store.
      that was fiberglass taping the seams first then covering whole outside,
      so the chines etc were double layer toughened.
      (yup, probably OVERBUILT!)
      if a boat is gonna get LOTS of use and abuse,
      parked outdoors upside down in the sun painted white..
      a little overbuilt covered doesnt really cost much.
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2013
        Hi Neil

        The boyak is one of my designs.you can use polyurethane glue for the taping only problem is it tends to bubble so the finish can look slightly bumpy, epoxy is the best finish and stronger.

        Depending on if your just taping and filleting the seams and doing a light coat to seal the whole boat, our if your doing a cheap quicker boat build just use common polyurethane glue for seams taping then spar varnish or house exterior latex paint, and good waterproof sealer is recomended before you paint.

        Cheers phil

        If you want me to set up a folder for your build photos here at the group let me know?

        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Wright" <neild.wright@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody!
        >
        > We have chosen to probably build one of the canoe designs from your plans.
        > If using epoxy/polyester resin, how much do you think will be required?
        >
        > (I may be able to build 2 if I order a resin pack/kit,along with fibreglass tape etc here in the UK.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Neil

      • Neil Wright
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
          --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <ariawoodboatworks@...> wrote:
          Thanks for that Phil.

          I've been looking at a LLoyds approved 5kg polyester resin kit from a fibreglass supplier. seems to be good value here in the UK. might get at least 2 canoes from it using it just for taping and filling the joints.

          As far as painting the boat, a possibility is a good polyurethane based heavy duty floor paint for wood and concrete etc. seems to a flexible, water resistant, durable option. Available in red, green, blue and the usual battleship grey!

          Need to start gathering materials soon, Ive finished the motorbike project, now getting itchy hands!!

          Neil

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
            5kg.. about 11 lbs, maybe about 5 quarts or liters worth..

            I've done a few small boats just taped seams, resin coated outside then painted, is pretty good too. 3 thin coats of resin getting pretty near what'd be used to saturate 4 or 6oz fiberglass cloth, isnt really a necessity but sure does put down a harder skin over the wood. really only depends on how tough you want or need it to be, or how long you want it to maybe last. personal preference, I go for it.. the glass cloth and resin maybe about twice the cost of the wood, isnt much here. it doesnt guarantee a boat lasting longer either but what the heck.

            simple taped seams and painting can last many seasons easily too if its not treated rough and stored out of the weather when not used, theres no "rule" that anyone has to go all out with a project. Hannu (hannusboatyard site) has had good results with exterior latex housepaint allowed to cure-harden a couple weeks. if a boat isnt ever going to scuff against rocks, heck yeah and why not! people have used fiberglass sheetrock type tape and PL premium adhesive for seams with good results too, no doubt it sure can be convenient!

            I dont know about there in the UK, but here in the US I can get 6 oz fiberglass cloth in a 52" width, for 5-6 dollars a yard. very convenient for something one sheet width total (48") like a 1 sheet boat (2.5 to 3 yards), or a 2 sheet canoe (maybe 5.5 yards worth) like FLO-MO's "flywood" design I want to try my hand at building sometime. it might take a little more than a quart for 6oz cloth saturation, most canoe specs I'd seen say 4oz cloth covering.

            fiberglass vs epoxy.. epoxy being more expensive and the preffered too, BUT, polyester resin being less UV sensitive does lend itself to a light staining then covering to let the wood show through is nice, but-but again the epoxy is going to adhere better, is lighter, and needs paint for the UV protection.. gets a little beyond a basic one sheet boat or not. I'd built a couple of simplicityboats "mini-sharpie" that are just taped seams and resin coated outside to show the wood, varnished on their insides, theyre pretty nice looking for it.