Re: My attempt at designing a simple one sheet boat

  • kbgwp
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19 10:21 AM
      I haven't built this design but I don't expect that it will be overly stable with the narrow bottom. I'm hoping that it isn't any worse than a small kayak. I have so far only made the frame for this design. I might give up on the idea and stick with designs that use more plywood but was looking for a small light weight boat. The Summer Breeze boat I made is very stable but doesn't paddle very straight using only one paddle and is a bit too wide for using a kayak paddle.

      I'm thinking that the one sheet restriction, along with my desire to avoid butt joints, might not be able to get both good stability and good freeboard. I might still give this design a shot or might go back to trying to design something better. Shortening the sides and adding an extended gunwale is one idea that could increase the width a little without giving up freeboard.

      Of course, this design might be fine for calm water use as it is. I don't know. The only real way to find out is to try it.

      Brian