My attempt at designing a simple one sheet boat

  • kbgwp
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2013
      It's been pretty quiet on here for a while so I thought I'd post my attempt to design a simple one sheet boat.  I was going for a kayak like boat with a transom.  Skiff?

      I wanted a simple design that didn't require any butt joints or scarf joints and something short enough to easily carry and transport.  I also wanted it narrow enough to allow the used of a double end kayak paddle.

      I've never built this boat except a paper model so I'm not sure how it would work for real.

      I don't seem to be able to add photo to this group so here are some links.

      The design

      The frame

      Taped up with extra pieces

      Breasthook from extra pieces

      Use this design at your own risk.

      Brian

    • TdeM
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2013
        The shape of the hull is really different to what I was expecting from
        the panel layout. Reminds me a bit of high tech skiffs like the
        javelin etc. Very nice. I'm thinking sailboat :-) Have you done any
        displacement calculations?
        -Thomas

        On 4/16/13, kbgwp <kbgwp@...> wrote:
        > It's been pretty quiet on here for a while so I thought I'd post my
        > attempt to design a simple one sheet boat. I was going for a kayak like
        > boat with a transom. Skiff?
        >
        > I wanted a simple design that didn't require any butt joints or scarf
        > joints and something short enough to easily carry and transport. I also
        > wanted it narrow enough to allow the used of a double end kayak paddle.
        >
        > I've never built this boat except a paper model so I'm not sure how it
        > would work for real.
        >
        > I don't seem to be able to add photo to this group so here are some
        > links.
        >
        > The design
        > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8652619429_d3c3e1e5ff_b_d.jpg>
        >
        > The frame
        > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8653722400_e811716324_b_d.jpg>
        >
        > Taped up with extra pieces
        > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8652620257_10ea160883_b_d.jpg>
        >
        > Breasthook from extra pieces
        > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8652620535_c5c17142fb_b_d.jpg>
        >
        > Use this design at your own risk.
        >
        > Brian

      • nutty_boats
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
          Interesting design. Have you made it yet?

          With that narrow bottom, can an adult sit in it? Or could you make it out of a door skin (1/8" ply) and have it as a child's plaything?

          T. Lee.

          --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "kbgwp" <kbgwp@...> wrote:

          > It's been pretty quiet on here for a while so I thought I'd post my
          > attempt to design a simple one sheet boat. I was going for a kayak like
          > boat with a transom. Skiff?
          >
          > I wanted a simple design that didn't require any butt joints or scarf
          > joints and something short enough to easily carry and transport. I also
          > wanted it narrow enough to allow the used of a double end kayak paddle.
          >
          > I've never built this boat except a paper model so I'm not sure how it
          > would work for real.
          >
          > I don't seem to be able to add photo to this group so here are some
          > links.
          >
          > The design
          > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8652619429_d3c3e1e5ff_b_d.jpg>
          >
          > The frame
          > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8653722400_e811716324_b_d.jpg>
          >
          > Taped up with extra pieces
          > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8652620257_10ea160883_b_d.jpg>
          >
          > Breasthook from extra pieces
          > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8652620535_c5c17142fb_b_d.jpg>
          >
          > Use this design at your own risk.
          >
          > Brian

        • kbgwp
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
            I haven't done any displacement calculations.  I have Hullform 9P and Chine Hull Designer 1.91 programs but don't know how to use them.  I did check out this on-line boat design calculator with some guesses on the size and it looks like it should float 200 pounds total weight pretty good and up to 500 pounds or a bit more before the water reaches the gunwales.  This was just a guess but I figure it should hold one person fine.  I don't know how stable it would be though.

            I did go with a shape that looks similar to my only homemade boat (so far) a Summer Breeze that I haven't put sails on yet.  Here's a link to my build of that boat .  It uses two sheets of plywood plus other pieces of wood to build.  I went cheap on this build and used underlayment plywood and PL Premium as well as Titebond II glue with a barn and fence paint coating to seal it up.  So far it is working good but I've only used it in a couple small ponds.  It weighs around 65 pounds and is a little wide to use a double kayak paddle.  Oars would work great but I haven't built any yet but probably will.

            Brian

            --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, TdeM <106498@...> wrote:

            > The shape of the hull is really different to what I was expecting from
            > the panel layout. Reminds me a bit of high tech skiffs like the
            > javelin etc. Very nice. I'm thinking sailboat :-) Have you done any
            > displacement calculations?
            > -Thomas
            >
            > On 4/16/13, kbgwp kbgwp@... wrote:
            > > It's been pretty quiet on here for a while so I thought I'd post my
            > > attempt to design a simple one sheet boat. I was going for a kayak like
            > > boat with a transom. Skiff?
            > >
            > > I wanted a simple design that didn't require any butt joints or scarf
            > > joints and something short enough to easily carry and transport. I also
            > > wanted it narrow enough to allow the used of a double end kayak paddle.
            > >
            > > I've never built this boat except a paper model so I'm not sure how it
            > > would work for real.
            > >
            > > I don't seem to be able to add photo to this group so here are some
            > > links.
            > >
            > > The design
            > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8652619429_d3c3e1e5ff_b_d.jpg>
            > >
            > > The frame
            > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8653722400_e811716324_b_d.jpg>
            > >
            > > Taped up with extra pieces
            > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8652620257_10ea160883_b_d.jpg>
            > >
            > > Breasthook from extra pieces
            > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8652620535_c5c17142fb_b_d.jpg>
            > >
            > > Use this design at your own risk.
            > >
            > > Brian

          • kbgwp
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
              No, I have not made it yet.  I was going to use 1/4" plywood but 1/8" might work.  I've only built one other boat so I'm not a real designer.  Just basically drew up a 4' x 8' rectangle on a CAD program and made some guesses at sizes until it looked like a boat.  Then I printed up a picture of the plans and cut/taped it together.

              I figure I should be able to sit in it but it depends on the width of the adult.

              Here's a link to another one sheet design  that David Beede designed.  It looks like a mini version of his summer breeze design.  It is a little wider than my design.

              Brian

              --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "nutty_boats" <nutty_boats@...> wrote:

              > Interesting design. Have you made it yet?
              >
              > With that narrow bottom, can an adult sit in it? Or could you make it out of a door skin (1/8" ply) and have it as a child's plaything?
              >
              > T. Lee.
              >
              > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "kbgwp" kbgwp@ wrote:
              > >
              > > It's been pretty quiet on here for a while so I thought I'd post my
              > > attempt to design a simple one sheet boat. I was going for a kayak like
              > > boat with a transom. Skiff?
              > >
              > > I wanted a simple design that didn't require any butt joints or scarf
              > > joints and something short enough to easily carry and transport. I also
              > > wanted it narrow enough to allow the used of a double end kayak paddle.
              > >
              > > I've never built this boat except a paper model so I'm not sure how it
              > > would work for real.
              > >
              > > I don't seem to be able to add photo to this group so here are some
              > > links.
              > >
              > > The design
              > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8652619429_d3c3e1e5ff_b_d.jpg>
              > >
              > > The frame
              > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8653722400_e811716324_b_d.jpg>
              > >
              > > Taped up with extra pieces
              > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8652620257_10ea160883_b_d.jpg>
              > >
              > > Breasthook from extra pieces
              > > <http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8652620535_c5c17142fb_b_d.jpg>
              > >
              > > Use this design at your own risk.
              > >
              > > Brian

            • Jack
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
                Hi Brain

                Great design, please take photos of the build and keep us posted on the results.
                Im going to set up your own folder here at OneSheet Wonders Yahoo group for your plans and project.
                We all love small one sheets boats here, I cant wait to see it get on the water.

                Phil

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
                  Hi Brain

                  Your folder for plans and photos of the build of your design is called - ( Brain - 1Sheet design ) . If you have any problems uploading plaese message me here thanks.

                  Cheers
                  Phil

                • nutty_boats
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
                    Brian:

                    The reason I asked is because I once built a one sheet boat that had a 24" beam at the chine, and my experience was that it was too narrow for an adult to be stable. However, kids loved it. What I learned from it is a design not to build again.

                    Your design is different, so I wonder if you got better results than I.

                    My most successful one sheet boat has a beam of 27" at the chine, though I have managed to design up to 30". It is a real challenge to get sufficient side depth and enough bottom width, especially for places like local waters where there can be waves.

                    David Beede's one sheet design has a 28" beam at the chine, but not much freeboard, it looks as if his is for quiet waters only.

                    T. Lee.

                    --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "kbgwp" <kbgwp@...> wrote:

                    > I haven't done any displacement calculations. I have Hullform 9P and Chine Hull Designer 1.91 programs but don't know how to use them. I did check out this on-line boat design calculator <http://www.blueheronwings.com/bh/comps/bdesign.html> with some guesses on the size and it looks like it should float 200 pounds total weight pretty good and up to 500 pounds or a bit more before the water reaches the gunwales. This was just a guess but I figure it should hold one person fine. I don't know how stable it would be though.
                    >
                    > I did go with a shape that looks similar to my only homemade boat (so far) a Summer Breeze that I haven't put sails on yet. Here's a link to my build of that boat <http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?159976-Crude-build-of-Summer\ -Breeze&highlight=crude+build+summer+breeze> . It uses two sheets of plywood plus other pieces of wood to build. I went cheap on this build and used underlayment plywood and PL Premium as well as Titebond II glue with a barn and fence paint coating to seal it up. So far it is working good but I've only used it in a couple small ponds. It weighs around 65 pounds and is a little wide to use a double kayak paddle. Oars would work great but I haven't built any yet but probably will.
                    >
                    > Brian

                  • KEN
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
                      yup to simplicityboats, have done a couple "mini sharpies" with rabbeted up gunwales and transom, pushed as wide as possible everywhere for a little extra buoyancy and stability.
                      mini-sharpie without some 2" of rabbeted up gunwales is spooky low freeboard I think.
                      the rabbeted up gunwales are about 7/16 thick, then I'd added 5/8 x 1/8 strips inside and out for slit pool noodles to clinch to, adding about another inch of freeboard to it.
                      after the strips were added, rounded tops with router and sanded, the noodles fit better.
                      mini sharpie's least freeboard being 8.75" near transom, nearer 12" with those add-ons.

                      its pretty hard to get anything size from a single sheet without some butt-joints.
                      FLO-MO's "little sailor" kinda grabs my attention for its size-form and sheet layout:

                      lots in common with mini-sharpie but has a shallow V, might be good with a couple inches rabbeted up surround to gunwales and transom. I'm also liking the idea of something similar to a mouseboat, hull itself being basically one sheet, but that kinda changes when fore aft and side floatation chambers, daggerboard box, sail and rudder all get added to it.

                      been busy with other boats lately but I want to learn to sail, is one of the objectives here.
                      my mini-sharpie is "kinda" set up for that, but if it dunks it'd be 100% swamped, ouch..
                      is why I'm thinking "little sailor" with fore aft side floatation boxes, a little cheating on the "strictly one sheet" with the rabbeted up gunwales and everything else of course.
                      if the side boxes (with help from fore aft boxes) are large enough to hold it up just high enough that the cockpit drains, maybe it'd be self recoverable without a swim-drag it to shore to try it again.. if quick and agile enough! also have a design in mind for a variation of a balanced lug sail that'd be more easily reefable while on the water, might work nicely.

                      nutty_boats.. yup, my one sheet near 12ft canoe-kayak idea was spooky at 19" width!
                      the redraw puts it about 4" wider floor, might be enough to feel better, thats a maybe and only because-for its waterline length. freeboard would be cheated-rabbeted up there too.
                      the idea got inspired for being unhappy with Hannu's "Dory82" using a kayak paddle, it swung left-right so much for being such a short waterline length, longer would be faster as well.
                      that 1st attempt prototype has been cut in half down its keel line, with intent for an 11" bridging across it and a pedal-wheel, oughtta be cool, hate throwing anything away lol.
                      the "keel sandwich" idea sure worked, was pretty good-simple for something canoe-ish,
                      if it isnt done TOO thick, might work for something that'll have more rocker in it.

                      The reason I asked is because I once built a one sheet boat that had a 24" beam at the chine, and my experience was that it was too narrow for an adult to be stable. However, kids loved it. What I learned from it is a design not to build again.

                      Your design is different, so I wonder if you got better results than I.

                      My most successful one sheet boat has a beam of 27" at the chine, though I have managed to design up to 30". It is a real challenge to get sufficient side depth and enough bottom width, especially for places like local waters where there can be waves.

                      David Beede's one sheet design has a 28" beam at the chine, but not much freeboard, it looks as if his is for quiet waters only.

                      T. Lee.

                      --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "kbgwp" <kbgwp@...> wrote:

                      > I haven't done any displacement calculations. I have Hullform 9P and Chine Hull Designer 1.91 programs but don't know how to use them. I did check out this on-line boat design calculator <http://www.blueheronwings.com/bh/comps/bdesign.html> with some guesses on the size and it looks like it should float 200 pounds total weight pretty good and up to 500 pounds or a bit more before the water reaches the gunwales. This was just a guess but I figure it should hold one person fine. I don't know how stable it would be though.
                      >
                      > I did go with a shape that looks similar to my only homemade boat (so far) a Summer Breeze that I haven't put sails on yet. Here's a link to my build of that boat <http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?159976-Crude-build-of-Summer\ -Breeze&highlight=crude+build+summer+breeze> . It uses two sheets of plywood plus other pieces of wood to build. I went cheap on this build and used underlayment plywood and PL Premium as well as Titebond II glue with a barn and fence paint coating to seal it up. So far it is working good but I've only used it in a couple small ponds. It weighs around 65 pounds and is a little wide to use a double kayak paddle. Oars would work great but I haven't built any yet but probably will.
                      >
                      > Brian

                    • TdeM
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
                        The little sailor looks good, reminds me of the harley 8, although
                        with a much nicer shape. Somewhat complicated build though.

                        You can strap in foam blocks with some fabric around them as an
                        alternative to "cheating". Or some kind of containers (eg bottles
                        etc.) or even car inner tubes or similar.

                        If you're going two sheets might as well build something bigger.
                        -Thomas
                      • kbgwp
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
                          I haven't built this design but I don't expect that it will be overly stable with the narrow bottom. I'm hoping that it isn't any worse than a small kayak. I have so far only made the frame for this design. I might give up on the idea and stick with designs that use more plywood but was looking for a small light weight boat. The Summer Breeze boat I made is very stable but doesn't paddle very straight using only one paddle and is a bit too wide for using a kayak paddle.

                          I'm thinking that the one sheet restriction, along with my desire to avoid butt joints, might not be able to get both good stability and good freeboard. I might still give this design a shot or might go back to trying to design something better. Shortening the sides and adding an extended gunwale is one idea that could increase the width a little without giving up freeboard.

                          Of course, this design might be fine for calm water use as it is. I don't know. The only real way to find out is to try it.