Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [onesheetwonders] Photo, not file

Expand Messages
  • Thomas de Meijer
    An inspired moment later.... I ve drawn up a quick plan in freeship, it s 30cm (11.8 ) beam and 45cm (17.7 ) high sides. The draft is 20cm (7.9 ) with 97kg
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      An inspired moment later....
      I've drawn up a quick plan in freeship, it's 30cm (11.8") beam and 45cm
      (17.7") high sides. The draft is 20cm (7.9") with 97kg (214lbs) in it,
      according to the program, the plan is shaded with this waterline. Seems
      like pretty good freeboard for a one sheet boat. You would definately need
      an outrigger!

      plan:
      http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-linesplan.jpg
      3d:
      http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-3d.jpg
      ply layout:
      http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-ply-layout.jpg

      I've been playing around with freeship the last few days, it's great for
      quickly "trying out" concepts, the ply layout seems a little funny though.

      Also, for weight estimates, how much would these one sheet boats weigh if
      I used 7mm ply and chine log construction?
      -Thomas

      --
      http://www.tdem.co.nz
    • outriggersky
      Hello Thomas, That s and interesting design and good-looking boat! It would definitely be faster that the one I built due to its greater length-to-beam ratio.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Hello Thomas,

        That's and interesting design and good-looking boat! It would definitely be faster that the one I built due to its greater length-to-beam ratio. Stabilized with a proper outrigger I think it would make a good, and wet, boat!

        Mine was a crude exercise in quick-and-dirty boatbuilding done to test a few ideas and to get experience in V-hull and stitch-and-glue construction. It floats me quite well. Paddles about like you'd expect - hobby-horsing with each stroke and hasn't the carry that a longer boat would have. I believe your design would paddle better. I'll build a little sail rig one day when I again have access to open water. Have long been a fan of proas and have been in the egoup "Proafile" from an earlier time.

        Thanks to whoever started this group... I really like this idea of "one sheet wonders"!

        Regards,
        Robert Sky


        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@...> wrote:
        >
        > An inspired moment later....
        > I've drawn up a quick plan in freeship, it's 30cm (11.8") beam and 45cm
        > (17.7") high sides. The draft is 20cm (7.9") with 97kg (214lbs) in it,
        > according to the program, the plan is shaded with this waterline. Seems
        > like pretty good freeboard for a one sheet boat. You would definately need
        > an outrigger!
        >
        > plan:
        > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-linesplan.jpg
        > 3d:
        > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-3d.jpg
        > ply layout:
        > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-ply-layout.jpg
        >
        > I've been playing around with freeship the last few days, it's great for
        > quickly "trying out" concepts, the ply layout seems a little funny though.
        >
        > Also, for weight estimates, how much would these one sheet boats weigh if
        > I used 7mm ply and chine log construction?
        > -Thomas
        >
        > --
        > http://www.tdem.co.nz
        >
      • Andy
        I ve just put a couple of jpegs in a new photo folder called AnalogIdeas (my boat building blog is analogbuilder.blogspot.com) of some first concepts done in
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          I've just put a couple of jpegs in a new photo folder called AnalogIdeas (my boat building blog is analogbuilder.blogspot.com) of some first concepts done in Word (I'm at work and Its all I've got to hand).

          Basicaly, I came up with a nice, easy way to make V-shapes hulls for sailing outriggers (for paddle canoes flat or rounded bottoms are fine but a V for sailing restricts leeway without the need fo lee boards or daggers etc.). I was trying to copy the shape of a Kiribati 14' sailing outrigger I saw in a museum.

          Inspired byte postings in this thread, I put together an idea of how the shape might be applied to a one-sheet boat. I think it would be a kids only exercise though, not enough buoyancy for an adult of any great size.

          Cheers,
          Andy
        • jbrotorua
          Hi Robert, Thanks I created this group for like minded people who can get satisfaction from creating small affordable projects then if need be move on up to a
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Robert,

            Thanks I created this group for like minded people who can get satisfaction from creating small affordable projects then if need be move on up to a big 2 sheeter and beyond.
            It allows a learning process without breaking the bank.

            I think when starting off on your first and even your last boat your consistently learning new and improved ways to build, so this one sheet wonder concept perfectly allows for growth into the bigger spectrum of boat building and different techniques.
            It keeps things fun achievable and affordable, also family orientated or build amongst friends with the same goal to explore the water.

            The water ways should be an affordable access for all, not just the rich and famous.

            Enjoy - Phillip

            --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "outriggersky" <outriggersky@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hello Thomas,
            >
            > That's and interesting design and good-looking boat! It would definitely be faster that the one I built due to its greater length-to-beam ratio. Stabilized with a proper outrigger I think it would make a good, and wet, boat!
            >
            > Mine was a crude exercise in quick-and-dirty boatbuilding done to test a few ideas and to get experience in V-hull and stitch-and-glue construction. It floats me quite well. Paddles about like you'd expect - hobby-horsing with each stroke and hasn't the carry that a longer boat would have. I believe your design would paddle better. I'll build a little sail rig one day when I again have access to open water. Have long been a fan of proas and have been in the egoup "Proafile" from an earlier time.
            >
            > Thanks to whoever started this group... I really like this idea of "one sheet wonders"!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Robert Sky
            >
            >
            > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@> wrote:
            > >
            > > An inspired moment later....
            > > I've drawn up a quick plan in freeship, it's 30cm (11.8") beam and 45cm
            > > (17.7") high sides. The draft is 20cm (7.9") with 97kg (214lbs) in it,
            > > according to the program, the plan is shaded with this waterline. Seems
            > > like pretty good freeboard for a one sheet boat. You would definately need
            > > an outrigger!
            > >
            > > plan:
            > > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-linesplan.jpg
            > > 3d:
            > > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-3d.jpg
            > > ply layout:
            > > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/pics/os-proa-30-ply-layout.jpg
            > >
            > > I've been playing around with freeship the last few days, it's great for
            > > quickly "trying out" concepts, the ply layout seems a little funny though.
            > >
            > > Also, for weight estimates, how much would these one sheet boats weigh if
            > > I used 7mm ply and chine log construction?
            > > -Thomas
            > >
            > > --
            > > http://www.tdem.co.nz
            > >
            >
          • Thomas de Meijer
            Yes I ve visited your blog a few times, The shape you drew is indeed very low displacement. If you cut a sheet of ply in half, then stitch 3 sides together and
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2009
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              Yes I've visited your blog a few times, The shape you drew is indeed very
              low displacement. If you cut a sheet of ply in half, then stitch 3 sides
              together and leave one long side open, then force in a trianguar 60-60-60
              bulkhead you do get a shape that could potentially float a fullgrown
              person.
              I'm also a proa fan and I'm starting the build of my proa in a few days
              hopefully. It will be a 2 sheet boat, as I want speed!
              -Thomas

              On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:56:44 -0000, Andy <andrew_l_white@...>
              wrote:

              > I've just put a couple of jpegs in a new photo folder called AnalogIdeas
              > (my boat building blog is analogbuilder.blogspot.com) of some first
              > concepts done in Word (I'm at work and Its all I've got to hand).
              >
              > Basicaly, I came up with a nice, easy way to make V-shapes hulls for
              > sailing outriggers (for paddle canoes flat or rounded bottoms are fine
              > but a V for sailing restricts leeway without the need fo lee boards or
              > daggers etc.). I was trying to copy the shape of a Kiribati 14' sailing
              > outrigger I saw in a museum.
              >
              > Inspired byte postings in this thread, I put together an idea of how the
              > shape might be applied to a one-sheet boat. I think it would be a kids
              > only exercise though, not enough buoyancy for an adult of any great size.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Andy
              >
              >

              --
              http://www.tdem.co.nz
            • jbrotorua
              Hi, thought id upload this outrigger kayak idea I found whilest surfing the net. Its in the file section - Proa kayak idea /www.wavewalk.com Cheers Phil.
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2009
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi, thought id upload this outrigger kayak idea I found whilest surfing the net.

                Its in the file section - Proa kayak idea /www.wavewalk.com

                Cheers Phil.

                --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas de Meijer" <tdemeijer@...> wrote:
                >
                > Yes I've visited your blog a few times, The shape you drew is indeed very
                > low displacement. If you cut a sheet of ply in half, then stitch 3 sides
                > together and leave one long side open, then force in a trianguar 60-60-60
                > bulkhead you do get a shape that could potentially float a fullgrown
                > person.
                > I'm also a proa fan and I'm starting the build of my proa in a few days
                > hopefully. It will be a 2 sheet boat, as I want speed!
                > -Thomas
                >
                > On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:56:44 -0000, Andy <andrew_l_white@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > I've just put a couple of jpegs in a new photo folder called AnalogIdeas
                > > (my boat building blog is analogbuilder.blogspot.com) of some first
                > > concepts done in Word (I'm at work and Its all I've got to hand).
                > >
                > > Basicaly, I came up with a nice, easy way to make V-shapes hulls for
                > > sailing outriggers (for paddle canoes flat or rounded bottoms are fine
                > > but a V for sailing restricts leeway without the need fo lee boards or
                > > daggers etc.). I was trying to copy the shape of a Kiribati 14' sailing
                > > outrigger I saw in a museum.
                > >
                > > Inspired byte postings in this thread, I put together an idea of how the
                > > shape might be applied to a one-sheet boat. I think it would be a kids
                > > only exercise though, not enough buoyancy for an adult of any great size.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > Andy
                > >
                > >
                >
                > --
                > http://www.tdem.co.nz
                >
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.