Re: [onesheetwonders] Re: New boat builder

  • TdeM
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 15, 2013

      Shamrock is very nice. A little bit of cheating for the transom but who cares. Transoms are a pain to make anyway! I would probably make the bottom a bit more curved at the back, to rise the transom out of the water. I've got a freeship model floating around somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM, kbgwp <kbgwp@...> wrote:

      Just re-reading the messages and checked out your appie page. It is a bit smaller than I want but shows that it is possible to sail a tiny boat. I haven't decided on a design yet but I may try the shamrock design or might re-look at the summer breeze design. I might also just go back to the PDRacer design and forget the one sheet idea but I sure like the thought of using just one sheet of plywood instead of spending a lot of money on a first attempt at boat building.

      At least I'm having some fun cutting and taping up pieces of paper testing out ideas.

      ...Brian

      --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, TdeM <106498@...> wrote:

      > Hi Brian,
      >
      > I've had a lot of fun sailing my one sheet boat (built from several
      > leftovers, but still). There's a page on it here:
      > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/appie.html
      >
      > That had about 2 square meters, and could take a bit more. I wouldn't go
      > more than 3 though especially if still learning. The mast is bamboo, a
      > great material if you can get it, cheap and very lightweight. I highly
      > recommend a sprit sail. Short mast, easy to make. Sails well.
      >
      > That boat was made wide (0.8m) and short. Which gave good stability, but
      > not very good speed. Now, speed is important in a sail boat, because the
      > slower you go the less side force you create, meaning it becomes very hard
      > to sail upwind.
      >
      > You need a big centre / lee board, especially if going slow.
      >
      > I think shamrock would make an excellent one sheet sail boat. A pointy
      > skiff bow makes it very easy to install a mast, because the boat is nice
      > and deep in the front giving good mast bury. Scows are the opposite.
      >
      > The hardest thing about sailing tiny boats is that you can't really move
      > around. You need to work out the steering and mainsheet arrangement so you
      > can sit facing forward.
      >
      > Stay close to shore wearing a life jacket!
      >
      > ====
      >
      > For a learn to sail boat, a boat like the summer breeze is probably a
      > better choice in almost every way. One more sheet of plywood, but it has
      > much better sailing potential.
      >
      > Anyway, enough rambling.
      > -Thomas

      <*> Your email settings: