Re: [onesheetwonders] Bittner's one sheet design

  • TdeM
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013

      Interesting stuff. Would you round over the corners to get more flowing curves?

      I think your triangle problem is undefined. If you imagine taking the top left corner, and pivoting this about the bottom left corner keeping the 11 measurement constant, the value of x changes without affecting any of the specified dimensions and angles. So you need at least one more length or angle defined somewhere. I may take a lot at it later but right now I have a boat to build. (Sorry guys 2 sheet boat this time).

      Thomas

      On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM, gb1963 <zbitt@...> wrote:
      Hi, I have made a twist to the "prism" way of boat design, making it look more like a boat. First I wanted to share the idea, hoping I'm not reinventing something on a previous thread, but I haven't seen it done this way and I've been interested in little wooden boats forever.

      I have made a blog to archive and share drawings and notes a few days ago at www.onesheetboats.blogspot.com

      I also have a problem stuck in my craw, regarding the exact measurement of an offset. It seems like I should be able to figure it out, but I can't. If anyone has good math skills or is intuitive like that, please check it out. It's the post called "solving for X"

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          onesheetwonders-digest@yahoogroups.com
          onesheetwonders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gb1963
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2013
        I have just posted some figurin' for calculating the arcs used to round over the corners for each of the three angles involved to the blog.
        Regarding the triangle, I don't think it's pivitable, because the 11" measurement is verticle, the top line is horizontal meanining the two are locked in a right angle. The length of the chine cannot change because it would get rid of the right angle by the 8" side.

        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, TdeM <106498@...> wrote:

        > Interesting stuff. Would you round over the corners to get more flowing
        > curves?
        >
        > I think your triangle problem is undefined. If you imagine taking the top
        > left corner, and pivoting this about the bottom left corner keeping the 11
        > measurement constant, the value of x changes without affecting any of the
        > specified dimensions and angles. So you need at least one more length or
        > angle defined somewhere. I may take a lot at it later but right now I have
        > a boat to build. (Sorry guys 2 sheet boat this time).
        >
        > Thomas
        >

        > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM, gb1963 <zbitt@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi, I have made a twist to the "prism" way of boat design, making it look
        > > more like a boat. First I wanted to share the idea, hoping I'm not
        > > reinventing something on a previous thread, but I haven't seen it done this
        > > way and I've been interested in little wooden boats forever.
        > >
        > > I have made a blog to archive and share drawings and notes a few days ago
        > > at www.onesheetboats.blogspot.com
        > >
        > > I also have a problem stuck in my craw, regarding the exact measurement of
        > > an offset. It seems like I should be able to figure it out, but I can't. If
        > > anyone has good math skills or is intuitive like that, please check it out.
        > > It's the post called "solving for X"

      • Ian Titulaer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
          I think this is more than somewhat similar to how Die Foldermaus started.

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/designs/foldermaus/index.htm

          See also the other Gav Atkin plans. http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/index.htm

          Enjoy.