Re: New boat builder

  • nutty_boats
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 2, 2013
      But the interesting thing here is when a design is shrunken to make it within reach of a one sheet boat, the drop in stability may be a problem. A design that is good at 15' may be too unstable at 7.5'.

      That is why I have not yet tried a sail on a one sheet boat.

      T. Lee.

      --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, L wrote:

      > You remember correctly.  One problem is that while this cubes the volume (and weight) it only squares the sail area, and it only increases the mast length linearly.  Everything is wonky, and the sail is way smaller than the new heavier boat calls for to be "in proportion" in terms of performance - with a foot or yard or whatever is the horizontal also doubled.  So you end up compensating by increasing the mast and the sail by way more than the simple proportions... which is still all wonky, just in a different sense.
      >
      > It can be done, that is to say you can "double" a good boat and still get a good boat as a result, but it takes some thought and redesign and compromise and adjustment.  And it never comes out as a "simple doubling" - more like a "doubling, with a bunch of fixes here and there."
      >

      > -L

    • TdeM
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 15, 2013

        Shamrock is very nice. A little bit of cheating for the transom but who cares. Transoms are a pain to make anyway! I would probably make the bottom a bit more curved at the back, to rise the transom out of the water. I've got a freeship model floating around somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

        On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM, kbgwp <kbgwp@...> wrote:

        Just re-reading the messages and checked out your appie page. It is a bit smaller than I want but shows that it is possible to sail a tiny boat. I haven't decided on a design yet but I may try the shamrock design or might re-look at the summer breeze design. I might also just go back to the PDRacer design and forget the one sheet idea but I sure like the thought of using just one sheet of plywood instead of spending a lot of money on a first attempt at boat building.

        At least I'm having some fun cutting and taping up pieces of paper testing out ideas.

        ...Brian

        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, TdeM <106498@...> wrote:

        > Hi Brian,
        >
        > I've had a lot of fun sailing my one sheet boat (built from several
        > leftovers, but still). There's a page on it here:
        > http://www.tdem.co.nz/boat/appie.html
        >
        > That had about 2 square meters, and could take a bit more. I wouldn't go
        > more than 3 though especially if still learning. The mast is bamboo, a
        > great material if you can get it, cheap and very lightweight. I highly
        > recommend a sprit sail. Short mast, easy to make. Sails well.
        >
        > That boat was made wide (0.8m) and short. Which gave good stability, but
        > not very good speed. Now, speed is important in a sail boat, because the
        > slower you go the less side force you create, meaning it becomes very hard
        > to sail upwind.
        >
        > You need a big centre / lee board, especially if going slow.
        >
        > I think shamrock would make an excellent one sheet sail boat. A pointy
        > skiff bow makes it very easy to install a mast, because the boat is nice
        > and deep in the front giving good mast bury. Scows are the opposite.
        >
        > The hardest thing about sailing tiny boats is that you can't really move
        > around. You need to work out the steering and mainsheet arrangement so you
        > can sit facing forward.
        >
        > Stay close to shore wearing a life jacket!
        >
        > ====
        >
        > For a learn to sail boat, a boat like the summer breeze is probably a
        > better choice in almost every way. One more sheet of plywood, but it has
        > much better sailing potential.
        >
        > Anyway, enough rambling.
        > -Thomas

        <*> Your email settings: