Re: [onesheetwonders] New boat builder

  • TdeM
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 30, 2013

      Hi Brian,

      I've had a lot of fun sailing my one sheet boat (built from several leftovers, but still). There's a page on it here:

      That had about 2 square meters, and could take a bit more. I wouldn't go more than 3 though especially if still learning. The mast is bamboo, a great material if you can get it, cheap and very lightweight. I highly recommend a sprit sail. Short mast, easy to make. Sails well.

      That boat was made wide (0.8m) and short. Which gave good stability, but not very good speed. Now, speed is important in a sail boat, because the slower you go the less side force you create, meaning it becomes very hard to sail upwind.

      You need a big centre / lee board, especially if going slow.

      I think shamrock would make an excellent one sheet sail boat. A pointy skiff bow makes it very easy to install a mast, because the boat is nice and deep in the front giving good mast bury. Scows are the opposite.

      The hardest thing about sailing tiny boats is that you can't really move around. You need to work out the steering and mainsheet arrangement so you can sit facing forward.

      Stay close to shore wearing a life jacket!

      ====

      For a learn to sail boat, a boat like the summer breeze is probably a better choice in almost every way. One more sheet of plywood, but it has much better sailing potential.

      Anyway, enough rambling.
      -Thomas

      On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:19 AM, kbgwp <kbgwp@...> wrote:
      I just joined this group and have never built a boat before.  My dream boat is a Tinkerbelle 2 copy like Robert Manry crossed the Atlantic in.  I don't want to spend the time and money to make that my first attempt at boat building so I bought the plans for Ocean Explorer which is a small cabin boat similar to a PDRacer.  Even this boat is more involved than I want to start with.  What I am now looking at is either the Shamrock from this group or a Prism type one sheet boat.  I would like to have a sailboat.  I don't think the Prism would work for that since it would be basically a canoe but I wonder if anyone has put a sail on the Shamrock or other one sheet boat?  I would prefer not to have a floating box shape but would consider it if that is the best one for sailing.  Another question I have is the length of the mast.  How short can I go and still move?  I don't need a real fast boat and my sailing would be in a small lake with no current and only powerboat waves.  Is 8 or 10 foot too short?  I worry about making the boat unstable if you get the mast very high.  I've never even been on a sailboat so stability is more important than speed.  Low cost is also a major requirement above everything else including durability.  Since this would be my first homemade boat, if I get a season or more of limited use out of it I'd be happy.

      Any advice?

      Brian

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          onesheetwonders-digest@yahoogroups.com
          onesheetwonders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • TdeM
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 15, 2013

        Shamrock is very nice. A little bit of cheating for the transom but who cares. Transoms are a pain to make anyway! I would probably make the bottom a bit more curved at the back, to rise the transom out of the water. I've got a freeship model floating around somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

        On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM, kbgwp <kbgwp@...> wrote:

        Just re-reading the messages and checked out your appie page. It is a bit smaller than I want but shows that it is possible to sail a tiny boat. I haven't decided on a design yet but I may try the shamrock design or might re-look at the summer breeze design. I might also just go back to the PDRacer design and forget the one sheet idea but I sure like the thought of using just one sheet of plywood instead of spending a lot of money on a first attempt at boat building.

        At least I'm having some fun cutting and taping up pieces of paper testing out ideas.

        ...Brian