Simple Plan for Scouts to Build?

  • paquita_nz
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1 9:42 PM
      Hi,

      I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?

      Thanks
      Andrew
    • Luiz Carlos de Oliveira
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2 4:16 AM

        De: paquita_nz <andrew.bahr@...>
        Para: onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com
        Enviadas: Domingo, 2 de Setembro de 2012 1:42
        Assunto: [onesheetwonders] Simple Plan for Scouts to Build?

        Hi,

        I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?

        Thanks
        Andrew
         Good Morning, Andrew, besides our site "the one sheet wonder" , visit the Herb Mcleod, he also has a good model for a sheet of plywood ...

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            onesheetwonders-digest@yahoogroups.com
            onesheetwonders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • donaldm2003
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2 6:14 AM
          How about a mouse boat?

          --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Andrew

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2 6:36 AM
            Hi Luiz
            I ran into this little boat while researching free boat plans for one of my website pages.

            http://www.angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks/html/cubcanu_a.htm

            You might also consider a mouse boat

            http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/mouse/index.htm

            Good Luck
            Christine
            http://www.christinedemerchant.com/free-canoe-kayak-boat-plans.html

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2 12:07 PM
              Hello Andrew,

              Your from New Zealand?

              First things first. At a glance some boats look simple to build but can be a challenge for the unskilled builder.

              First choose a flat bottom / least panels and joins.

              U.F.O Kayak punt is the simplest water craft you can build.

              Cut 2 side panels at 11 in depth, add support width with pine spreaders on the flat bottom.
              Then wrap the entire remaining panel of 26 in over the sides with cable ties and stitch and glue together and screw to bottom spreaders.
              Then add solid pine support gunnel's and 4 triangular supports to stiffen the structure on all corners.

              Fill holes with filler and use water sealer / house paint latex x 3 the hull and add seat back support double paddle your way to fun.

              Or if you want easier but slighly more cost - 2 solid wood 10 in sides cut to U.F.O Kayak punt plan add 3in gunel to give extra height on the sides, then wrap plywood 26in panel over and nail screw then cover with pine 10mm skids wraped over the edges.

              Cheers Phil - go to http://www.ariawoodboats.yolasite.com/dragonfly-jon---boats.php

              U.F.O kayak Punt - (THERE ARE CONSTRUCTION STEPS HERE IN THE PHOTO SECTION).

              --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Andrew

            • smith_adam_b
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3 12:22 AM
                Hi Andrew,

                I second the vote for Gavin Atkin's "Mouse". If I remember correctly, it was specifically designed to be a cheap, easy to build boat to build with children. The plans are available freely: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/mouse/index.htm

                The plans (amongst others) are also given in his book, along with really helpful instructions, if you are new to stitch and glue:
                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/usbb/index.htm

                Hope this helps,
                Adam

                --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                >
                > Thanks
                > Andrew

              • TdeM
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3 3:21 AM
                  Hi Andrew,

                  It depends what sort of boat building you want to be doing. The mouse
                  is designed for stitch and glue. Using chine logs is probably more
                  child friendly, and nicer to manage too.

                  Are looks important? The best one sheet boats seem to be the square
                  ones, as far as freeboard goes. Boats with not too much curve, like
                  prams, are probably easier to do with chine logs as there is less
                  bend.

                  Other than the ones already mentioned, two good ones are the sampan
                  and auray punt off this page:
                  http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm

                  Of the boats on this group I like the bojak and shamrock in
                  particular. The shamrock cheats a little by using pine board as a
                  transom though. If you go into the photos section, and look for the
                  "one sheet wonders" album this is where you can see them "in action".
                  -Thomas

                  On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:22 AM, smith_adam_b <adambsmith@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Andrew,
                  >
                  > I second the vote for Gavin Atkin's "Mouse". If I remember correctly, it was specifically designed to be a cheap, easy to build boat to build with children. The plans are available freely: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/mouse/index.htm
                  >
                  > The plans (amongst others) are also given in his book, along with really helpful instructions, if you are new to stitch and glue:
                  > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/usbb/index.htm
                  >
                  > Hope this helps,
                  > Adam
                  >
                  > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks
                  >> Andrew

                • KEN
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3 9:57 AM
                    agreed for simplicities sake (unintentional pun!)
                    done with external chine logs and rabbeted gunwales about 1/2"x 2" tall minus 5/8" rabbet..
                    adding 1/8 x 5/8 trim at the top both inside and out makes it easy for "pool noodles" to just clinch on (1 slice lengthwise) adding total of 2" freeboard, plus some floatation.
                    5 pool noodles wraps the whole perimeter and doubles as a padding to cartop them too.
                    -that scarier 8.75" side height aft, gets pushed pretty close to 11 after all that.

                    one I'd done was cheap-light luan paneling, I put down 3 1x1 across inside about 1-1/2" short of touching the side corners, then 3 boards down lenghtwise as a seat. the bottom got a 3/4x1 keel. the "latticing" of it (inside outside) made the thin luan paneling a whole lot more rigid, and if some water splashes in, the pallat type seat helps prevent a minor case of wet-booty. I didnt use a spreader frame, it was tiny inside chine logs with zipties, then taped seams outside and poly-resin coats. a quick spreader frame would make an outside chine log building method a whole lot simpler. I was trying for max buoyancy from it, but I dont think 1/2x1 outside chine logs would be substantially different really.

                    available here is 2 kinda of luan, one being single core with veneers (yuk), the other is a Chinese made "meranti" with 3 core lams then the veneers for total of 5 lams in its approximate 4.5mm thickness. its bright pink glue passed a boil test very nicely.
                    both are about 10-11 bucks a sheet, the Chinese meranti much better.

                    I really dont doubt that about all of the assembling work for that mini-sharpie can be handled with glue and a very strong staplegun:
                    to attach the outside chine logs and rabbeted gunwales, and the bottom too!
                    if the bow stem and rear corner blocks angles are accurate, lots of staples into them would also likely hold against the little force of bowing the sides out.. making the whole project a whole lot faster and simpler.. no hammering, no screw holes to fill after etc.

                    I think it'd be an interesting (successful) fast "down-n-dirty" experimental method,
                    still probably a good idea to slap one out first just to test and see how fast how good.
                    honestly.. I'm also thinking it could even be rush assembled before the glue really dried if the staples got slammed home every 4" on the big stuff, and every 1-1/2" on bowpiece and rear corners.. maybe a 2nd staggered row at the bow? staples are cheep enuf.
                    with parts pre-readied they could have 2-3 coats of paint on em same day too, darn near. fairing the chine logs to be ready for the floor might slow em down a little, but not if they're good to go with a couple rough banded belt sanders to eat em flat quickly.

                    It depends what sort of boat building you want to be doing. The mouse
                    is designed for stitch and glue. Using chine logs is probably more
                    child friendly, and nicer to manage too.

                    Are looks important? The best one sheet boats seem to be the square
                    ones, as far as freeboard goes. Boats with not too much curve, like
                    prams, are probably easier to do with chine logs as there is less
                    bend.

                    Other than the ones already mentioned, two good ones are the sampan
                    and auray punt off this page:
                    http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm

                    Of the boats on this group I like the bojak and shamrock in
                    particular. The shamrock cheats a little by using pine board as a
                    transom though. If you go into the photos section, and look for the
                    "one sheet wonders" album this is where you can see them "in action".
                    -Thomas

                    On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:22 AM, smith_adam_b <adambsmith@...> wrote:
                    > Hi Andrew,
                    >
                    > I second the vote for Gavin Atkin's "Mouse". If I remember correctly, it was specifically designed to be a cheap, easy to build boat to build with children. The plans are available freely: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/mouse/index.htm
                    >
                    > The plans (amongst others) are also given in his book, along with really helpful instructions, if you are new to stitch and glue:
                    > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/usbb/index.htm
                    >
                    > Hope this helps,
                    > Adam
                    >
                    > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks
                    >> Andrew

                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3 12:07 PM
                      Hi Andrew, I was thinking over night that a Bojak kayak is only 3 panels and is easy to build with the least amount of materials. Exterior chine log or stitch and glue. Let us know how your getting on?

                      Cheers Phil.

                      --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Andrew

                    • Ian Titulaer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4 6:45 AM
                        Over on the mouseboat group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mouseboats/files/

                        There are square mini and micro mice which are suitable for chimes log simplified
                        Construction. They also incorporate floatation chambers in the design, which can comein handy with a dozen or so kids on the water.

                        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, TdeM <106498@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Andrew,
                        >
                        > It depends what sort of boat building you want to be doing. The mouse
                        > is designed for stitch and glue. Using chine logs is probably more
                        > child friendly, and nicer to manage too.
                        >
                        > Are looks important? The best one sheet boats seem to be the square
                        > ones, as far as freeboard goes. Boats with not too much curve, like
                        > prams, are probably easier to do with chine logs as there is less
                        > bend.
                        >
                        > Other than the ones already mentioned, two good ones are the sampan
                        > and auray punt off this page:
                        > http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm
                        >
                        > Of the boats on this group I like the bojak and shamrock in
                        > particular. The shamrock cheats a little by using pine board as a
                        > transom though. If you go into the photos section, and look for the
                        > "one sheet wonders" album this is where you can see them "in action".
                        > -Thomas
                        >
                        > On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:22 AM, smith_adam_b <adambsmith@...> wrote:
                        > > Hi Andrew,
                        > >
                        > > I second the vote for Gavin Atkin's "Mouse". If I remember correctly, it was specifically designed to be a cheap, easy to build boat to build with children. The plans are available freely: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/gavin/mouse/index.htm
                        > >
                        > > The plans (amongst others) are also given in his book, along with really helpful instructions, if you are new to stitch and glue:
                        > > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/usbb/index.htm
                        > >
                        > > Hope this helps,
                        > > Adam
                        > >
                        > > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> Hi,
                        > >>
                        > >> I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                        > >>
                        > >> Thanks
                        > >> Andrew

                      • robertc_bradley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 19 7:39 PM
                          The One Sheet Skiff looks to be easy enough to build with a group of boys, or maybe the Flats Rat, although it's technically a 1.5 sheet boat. Something with straight sides and a one piece rockered bottom would be great. Three cuts, maybe a Loonie? http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/loonie/index.htm

                          --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Andrew

                        • Chris Downer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 19 8:03 PM
                            Hi there,
                            If I might stick my oar in? I taught woodshop at an all girls High School for 5 years and one summer. We built several one sheet skiffs even in the last week and a half of summer school.  Be advised that the plan can be intimidating with all of its dimensions, and the plywood is kind of hard to bend without cracking a dutchman (we used cheap plywood and should have wet sponged it with hot water).  I have not built a Mouse boat.  The One Sheet Skiff was large enough for a kid to use with plenty of freeboard.  We made up 7 or 8 foot double paddles from closet dowel.  Best of luck to you.  Those were the times of my life.

                            On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM, robertc_bradley <robertc_bradley@...> wrote:

                            The One Sheet Skiff looks to be easy enough to build with a group of boys, or maybe the Flats Rat, although it's technically a 1.5 sheet boat. Something with straight sides and a one piece rockered bottom would be great. Three cuts, maybe a Loonie? http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/loonie/index.htm

                            --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Andrew

                          • KEN
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 20 1:57 AM
                              yup, I'd think the one sheet skiff (simplicityboats site) probably the simplest..
                              as I'd mentioned earlier, with outside chine logs it may go together as easily as glue and a couple strong stapleguns. could also cut thru 3-4 sheets at once to make the blanks for sides, bottoms, and transoms. same site "summer breeze" from 2 sheets is of course a lot more substantially sized and a little (not much) more complex, may be a cool opportunity for em to learn how to sail and take someone along for a ride afterwards too, but it's also quite a ways outside the one sheet category.
                              I've done the OSS "mini-sharpie" as sailboat, center daggerboard box and clamp on rudder, I need to re-do a better sail for it isnt a biggie, and its small length lets it stand against the wall out of the way in the garage for now.. isnt a bad thing either.
                              the 2-1/4" total with the 1/2" rabbeted gunwales (maybe 7/16 thick) adding 1-3/4" freeboard,
                              then another 3/4" to 7/8" with the pool noodles clipped on is some pretty substantial gains.
                              ripping 2x4 into chine logs and gunwales can go pretty fast in tablesaw if organized doin.

                              the OSS does get some good rocker in it if plan is followed "correctly", the ones I'd done I had opted for a bit wider floor at transom, more square-cubic inches more buoyancy, and very small inside chine-logs drilled-ziptied-glued in place with outsides taped-resined..
                              but I'm 165-170 lbs and pushed for as much width as I could get everywhere-way possible!
                              is also the why of the taller gunwales and capping em with pool noodles 2 down each side and one across the top of the transom. theres just room to sit sliding my butt left-right to counter the sail some and keep the pint-size boat riding flat. I gave it a couple toe blocks.
                              (all quite a bit more work than a project for some young scouts, no biggie tho)

                              possibility too, build as rowboats initially then later option for mast, mast partner,
                              daggerboards+boxes and rudders.. its afterthough here, I dont like the outside leeboards so much.. daggerboard boxes left and right wouldnt be in the way if I decided to row it..
                              or maybe better and easier, just plant a 0-10-5" skeg down its bottom length instead!
                              from zero to the 10" depth to its mid, then 12-14", then to 5" depth at transom..
                              should be enough bite to tack allright, but not so much it cant be overcome to steer it rowing (and help it track when rowing too). aint gonna beach it with dry feet anyway ever..

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 20 2:29 AM
                                hi Chris (I'm up early here this morning lol)
                                local here theres 2 types "luan"..
                                one is a single core with veneers thats JUST floor overlayment (real junk imho)
                                other a chinese "meranti" laun thats 3 core lams with the veneers for total of 5 lams.
                                its like a micro-ply, same price, MUCH nicer to play with, and out of curiosity one day after reading some forums and info's, I gave a couple bits of it a hard boil test 1/2 hour..
                                the bright pink plasticky glue they use, puts up with being boiled like that pretty good!!

                                the stuff IS a bit "thin" but with some curves imposed on it and some full length stringers put onto the bottom: 1-1/2" x 1/2" lammed twice for 1x1 down the center)
                                and 1" x 3/8" done the same at 9" left and right of center, it firmed up a LOT!
                                they call it 1/4" but its more like 4 to 4.5mm, where 1/4" would be about 6.1mm I guess..

                                for sure it needs cross-stick bracings to keep sides spread when putting gunwales on,
                                but once the glue dries-hardens it doesnt spring back in much of anything.. theres also the 1x2 across thats top and bottom braces to the daggerboard box in mine, helps lots sure..
                                (top brace is forward, bottom brace aft on that daggerboard box)

                                10,000 words later "geez wouldnt pictures been easier?"..  whoops!

                                If I might stick my oar in? I taught woodshop at an all girls High School for 5 years and one summer. We built several one sheet skiffs even in the last week and a half of summer school.  Be advised that the plan can be intimidating with all of its dimensions, and the plywood is kind of hard to bend without cracking a dutchman (we used cheap plywood and should have wet sponged it with hot water).  I have not built a Mouse boat.  The One Sheet Skiff was large enough for a kid to use with plenty of freeboard.  We made up 7 or 8 foot double paddles from closet dowel.  Best of luck to you.  Those were the times of my life.

                                On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM, robertc_bradley <robertc_bradley@...> wrote:

                                The One Sheet Skiff looks to be easy enough to build with a group of boys, or maybe the Flats Rat, although it's technically a 1.5 sheet boat. Something with straight sides and a one piece rockered bottom would be great. Three cuts, maybe a Loonie? http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/loonie/index.htm

                                --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                > Andrew

                              • Jack
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 20 11:58 AM
                                  Hi,

                                  My U.F.O or Dragonfly designs - solid pine sides and x2 sheets of 4mm wrapped over the sides, or one sheet ply U.F.O kayak punt simple and 1 sheet, or Boyak is as easy as it gets.

                                  Phil.

                                  --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "robertc_bradley" <robertc_bradley@...> wrote:

                                  > The One Sheet Skiff looks to be easy enough to build with a group of boys, or maybe the Flats Rat, although it's technically a 1.5 sheet boat. Something with straight sides and a one piece rockered bottom would be great. Three cuts, maybe a Loonie? http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/loonie/index.htm
                                  >
                                  > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "paquita_nz" <andrew.bahr@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi,
                                  > >
                                  > > I run a scout troop and have about 12 boys. I was thinking of having them all build a 1 sheeter. It needs to be very very simple to make so that I can manage twelve boats being built at once. Can anyone recommend me a good plan?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                  > > Andrew

                                • Ian Titulaer
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 20 8:41 PM
                                    For smaller scouts the Ollie Punt is a fun design using only a half sheet of plywood. For use in warm and sheltered waters only. Mine is mostly used in the swimming pool.

                                    Also has a tendency to induce symptoms of becoming an undead pirate.

                                    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/10/designs/halfsheet/index1.htm