Re: 1.S.W - Sailor & Racer plans

  • Paul T.
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 21, 2011
      No need to guess since I'm the designer/builder of "Tardis" (the name refers to a sci-fi contraption which is larger on the inside than on the outside). It is indeed a pram--an SOP design (ala Bolger) 5'10"LOA,40"beam,and sides (including cabin)28" high. The dimensions were dictated by the size of the bed on my Toyota pickup. It floats at its design waterline with only myself (200lbs+) aboard so unless you have two very small people, it's a one-person-only craft. The transoms and center bulkhead are of 3/8" MDO and most of the rest of the structure is made from 1/8" luan doorskins (doubled or even tripled where more strength is needed. The exterior is FG/epoxy covered --6oz on the bottom and 3oz on sides and cabin top. Since it uses a leeboard (ala Michalak) the sole is wide open and there is room to sleep ONE (with legs slightly bent (I'm 6'1"). It does sail quite well but since the original tests I've replaced the end-plate rudder with a more conventional kick-up rudder blade for better low speed control. There are many pictures at the Eastern Messabout Yahoo group both in the "Tardis" folder and the June 3,4,5 Elk Neck Messabout folders.

      Paul T.

      --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, Greg Haff <haffdaddy@...> wrote:

      > Harold: Yes it is a cute little boat. It would appear to small for both husband a wife to be in it at the same time. Take a close look at the boat, you will see that it must be a Pram. Ever with the Bow shape hidden by Margarets leg. It would be a bear to make it a pionted front end. So a Pram it must be. Then you need to look pass the paint job. If you do this you will see the the line between the cabin and the Real Boat.
      >

      > So you got a short little Pram with maybe a Beam of less then 36 inches. Sides of about 16 inch and a Rocker to the bottom of maybe 6 inch, and about 30 sq ft of sail on a 8 ft mast.
      >
      > I'll sent you a few pictures of plans for short boats like this.
      >
      > Gordon

    • Paul T.
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 21, 2011