Damselfly floating

  • ezguine
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
      Phil I see you got some photos of your damselfly in the water. Did you take it out for a buzz about and if you did how'd perform for ya ?

      Kenny in Philly
    • jbrotorua
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
        Hi Kenny, yeah I had it out last week, just going into summer here in New Zealand. Its awesome, rows well, takes an electric motor and tracks well, its actually quit fast through the water. Im currently revamping the plans to all designs its taking much longer than expected.

        How is your boat building projects going?

        Cheers Phil.

        --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "ezguine" <ken.nesbitt@...> wrote:

        > Phil I see you got some photos of your damselfly in the water. Did you take it out for a buzz about and if you did how'd perform for ya ?
        >
        > Kenny in Philly

      • ezguine
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
          That's great news about your boat. At my neck of the woods it is going into the rainy season and for some reason we got more precipitation than usual. The sky is mostly gray from mid-october through mid-december then it gets cold. I was building in the wife's side of the driveway then got chased to the side yard a few weeks back but then came the cooler weather and the morning mist and dew on everything so I hung up the boats (literally) and persued other interests.
          I am just about done re-arranging my 10 X 10 shed to get the boats in one at a time for repainting. The 1 sheet Jon that I call 'the Drake" is going to get hunting camouflaged and the blue boat based on your Boyak is getting dazzle camouflage like a WWII battleship.
          The Drake has yet to make it to the water but I'm hoping with 28" width at the chines it can take more moving about inside while on the water for fishing.
          Has anyone on the list tried one of them mouseboats? other forums talk about how stable they are, I just can't see it. They always show photos of people in them sitting still on the water, just floating there. I'd like to see some youtube stuff on them

          Thanks
          Kenny in Philly,
          (Home of the coulda been world champion Phillies)

          --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "jbrotorua" <cyrptsofalzaria@...> wrote:

          > Hi Kenny, yeah I had it out last week, just going into summer here in New Zealand. Its awesome, rows well, takes an electric motor and tracks well, its actually quit fast through the water. Im currently revamping the plans to all designs its taking much longer than expected.
          >
          > How is your boat building projects going?
          >
          > Cheers Phil.
          >
          > --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "ezguine" <ken.nesbitt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Phil I see you got some photos of your damselfly in the water. Did you take it out for a buzz about and if you did how'd perform for ya ?
          > >
          > > Kenny in Philly

        • jbrotorua
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2009
            Hi Kenny, we have a on off hot to cold rain type weather before the heatwave of summer where at the moment and can relate to overcast grey clouds and unpredictable weather pattens making boat missions a challenge. I have about the same space in my workshop, I utilize the area by having a outside 4x8 table for cutting that's under shelter. Then when Ive cut the plywood it goes to the joining table on one side of the garage then to the fairing and painting table on the other side, then out it goes to the storage area outside on the shed like a half circle production line. I also have all patterns and angles set like the model t ford production line but very much slower and much more unreliable and messy and disorganized, its like organized controlled chaos.

            Ive built allot of boats in my time.

            Tortoise - Teal - Flat bottomed Skiffs - kayaks - Mouse - Dory - and owned just about every type and tested small craft imaginable.

            Here is what I discovered, the wider the beam the better for suitability, the flatter the bottom the better for stability v shaped hulls are more for speed, but muti chine is a good compromise. Over 14 ft on canoe kayak is hard to maneuver, 12 is ideal.So if you go shopping with that in mind and are not concerned with speed you cant go wrong.

            The Mouse boats are basically instant boat tortoises, the big tortoise is the best and most fun boat Ive ever owned. The Mouse is stable but doesn't have the ability to carry much weight. If you want a unbeatable boat the best use of 2 sheets make a Tortoise or elegant punt instant boat you wont regret it.

            Good luck claiming back land for boat space, I know how it is, I currently have 8 projects on the go in various stages of completion.

            Cheers Phil - anyone else got any ideas what boat is there favorite and what have they try ed?