Banana Boat

  • witt_saw
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
      Hi All,
      Thought you would like to see one of my OS Boats. She folds flat and is easy to build. If anyone would like some construction pics email me and I'll reply them to you. Also can make the panel dims available. Right now there are a free hand sketch. You have to send pics when done!
      Check Banana Boat under Photos.
      Regards.
      Steve Witter
      Branford, CT
    • builtaboat
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
        I would like to see how it folds.
        Thanks

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
          I added three more pics to the Banana Boat file. I don't have a finished folded pic but these show it during construction.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
            Thanks for the additional pictures. Is there a "glue" step prior to the caulking pictures or does the caulking have adhesive in it?

            How wide is the canvas? And how heavy is it?

            Is the wiring of the sides to the bottom just for the canvas installation and then the wire is cut away?

            So many questions... It is an intriguing little craft. It would fill a niche in having an easy to transport boat that would not be too intrusive when traveling so as to be a nuisance.

            > I added three more pics to the Banana Boat file. I don't have a finished folded pic but these show it during construction.
          • jbrotorua
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009

              The Secrets of Polyurethane glue seams file, hopefully will help some with more info on building them. Thanks Phil.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2009
                Hi buildaboat,
                The answers are below:
                --- In onesheetwonders@yahoogroups.com, "builtaboat" <builtaboat@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the additional pictures. Is there a "glue" step prior to the caulking pictures or does the caulking have adhesive in it?
                Answer: I use the same caulking to adhere the canvas to the panels. It's DAP Alex Plus 35 year crystal clear acrylic latex plus silicone. Goes on white and dries clear, takes a few days. Walmart $2.18, lumber yard $7.95 it was the exact same stuff.

                > How wide is the canvas? And how heavy is it?
                Answer: It's 5' wide 10 oz. cut diagonally so it would follow the curves without puckering. Got it at Walmart. The have it in different colors.

                > Is the wiring of the sides to the bottom just for the canvas installation and then the wire is cut away?
                Answer: It's not wiring it's 65 lb. test braided fishing line, Walmart again. It's the actual hinge. The canvas just makes the seam waterproof.