Re: One-Room Listserv Requesting Introductions

  • rippletonschoolhouse
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 10, 2005
      I recently joined this site and I have already gotten so much
      information off from it - thank you. I work as the Education
      Coordinator at Lorenzo State Historic Site in Cazenovia, NY. As part
      of our site, we have a restored circa 1814 one-room schoolhouse that
      was donated by a local resident and moved to our property in 1997.
      Each spring we have local fourth grade students come to the
      schoolhouse and participate in a full-day immersion program based in
      1887 (the time period the school is interpreted and restored to). I
      play the 1887 schoolmarm, Miss Mattie Buckland. The students dress in
      period clothing and bring period lunches and go through a morning
      session, lunch, recess and an afternoon session. We also had our first
      summer camp sessions at the school this past July. Except for the few
      additional programs we do throughout the year at the schoolhouse, it
      is not used as frequently as I would like, so I am on the prowl for
      new program ideas (I have been here since April). I am particularly
      interested in knowing if anyone has done an Arbor Day program before.
      This would fall in nicely with our interpretive time period. I would
      love to hear any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you!
    • Sharon Cook
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 10, 2005
        Thank you for all your interesting introductions.   I have enjoyed reading them & learning more about the one-room involvements.   My name is Sharon.   I live in a small community in Iowa, population about 5000.  I was born near here & attended a one room school near my home and loved my experience there and continued playing school where I would take the role of the teacher so my Mom used to tell everyone I have been teaching since I was five years old!!  Yes, I went on to college and not surpisingly, that became my lifetime career, spending 30 more years doing just that.   When I drove to and from my school, I often passed by the brick one-room school and was dismayed to watch it slowly deteriorate so we began an effort to restore it, got it on the Nat'l List of Historic Place, and on Iowa's most endangered historic site list, and have slowly begun this project.   Our significant person we are dedicating our school is Sarah Gillespie Huftalen who had her first year of teaching experience here and went on to teach in other schools and became nationally known for her hands on teaching methods.   She single handedly founded the Iowa Rural Teachers' Assoc. and served that organization for years.   Our school is one of very few brick one-room schools still standing in Iowa and was built in 1868.
        To learn more about our project, we invite you to go to our website at:
        www.mcgeebrickschool.org.....Thanks for your interest.   Our current project is to begin the interior restoration...windows & doors.....

        Sharon D. Cook
        gmasharon@...
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
          My interest in one-room schools is related to my birthplace being located
          across the road from a 2 acre schoolyard and the two-story frame
          schoolhouse. Here I attended 8 years of schooling, completing the 8th
          grade in the spring of 1944. And here, in the fall of 1950 I was employed
          as the teacher but the Korean Conflict and induction into the Air Force in
          April 1951 interrupted that early career. The large schoolyard was a year
          around playground for those of us who lived close by in the very small and
          rural community of Lancaster, located in Keokuk County, Iowa. Although the
          school, built in 1881, had 1 room downstairs and 1 room upstairs, the
          upstairs room was only used sporadically after 1930 and therefore the school
          is commonly referred to as a one-room school. After the school closed in
          1964, the school and contents remained without change until 1983 when
          interested citizens organized a tax exempt organization named Lancaster
          Heritage, Inc with the goal of maintaining the school and supporting the
          organization through donations, volunteer labor and memberships. The
          Lancaster Heritage goals continue and my involvement is strengthened and
          rewarded by my interest in ideas, projects, seminars and comments where I
          learn about other one-room school stories.
          The comments on this website have been varied and
          interesting and my Thanks to all who have participated. Special Thanks to
          our Listmaster, Sarah.

          George W. House

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
            I am sure that there are members in our non-profit organization that would be interested in visiting the school house spoken of in the attached message.   We are located in Delaware County, Iowa so would like directions or contact information from the writer, George House, if possible. We would be coming from Manchester, Iowa and our website is at www.mcgeebrickschool.org....
            Our organization is called the McGee-Brick School Foundation....Thank you, Sarah for your efforts in  bringing this group together.....

            Sharon Cook
            gmasharon@...

            > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
            > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
            > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
            > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
            > with a particular school or group.
            >
            > Sarah S. Uthoff
            > Listmaster
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • George House
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
              I welcome your interest in directions or contact information regarding the Lancaster school.  The directions from Sigourney, Iowa are about 2 miles south of Sigourney on Highway 149 to County paved road V5G, then east,south and east on V5G about 3 miles and you will arrive at the Lancaster school.  Arrangements to visit the Lancaster school can be coordinated through my e-mail address :  gwhmah@....         The school does not have regular "OPEN" hours but visitors are welcomed and a special effort would be made to accomodate your schedule.  "Open House" programs or visits are held  annually but that date for 2006 has not yet been determined.  For your added information, the school house sits on the town square, platted in 1846 when Lancaster became the county seat of Keokuk County. The school yard (i.e. the town square) remains the property of Keokuk County even though the county seat location was returned to Sigourney in the 1850's after years of disputes.
                               A second two story frame school house, this one in Hayesville, IA (about 4 miles south and west of Lancaster), is currently the subject of discussion by interested citizens regarding possible repair and restoration work.
                               For your information also, I currently serve as Pres. of the Keokuk County Historical Society where significant information about former rural schools in Keokuk County is available.
                                         Thank you, George House

              > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
              > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
              > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
              > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
              > with a particular school or group.
              >
              > Sarah S. Uthoff
              > Listmaster
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • George House
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005

                Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 10:42 PM

                Please note my e-mail address below and correct it to be gwhmah@...
                                              Thanks, Geo House

                > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                > with a particular school or group.
                >
                > Sarah S. Uthoff
                > Listmaster
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • shirley
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
                  I am Shirley Knakmuhs, a board member of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in
                  Walnut Grove,
                  Mn. for 31 years. I went to a couple one room school houses in the "30"
                  and 40"s. The time I
                  remember most is at the end of the year, we put on a little play and some
                  recitations. Fun!
                  The teacher I had in the early 40's was called into service. I remembered
                  him as tall, dark
                  and handsome...His name was John and at the girls all thought he was the
                  MOST! At the
                  Christmas party, I talked the girls into singing.."OhJohnny".....Some of you
                  may remember that!!
                  I don't have much to contribute but enjoy reading the
                  letters..Thanks...Shirley----- Original Message -----
                  > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                  > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                  > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                  > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                  > with a particular school or group.
                  >
                  > Sarah S. Uthoff
                  > Listmaster
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Michael Mescher
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                    At 07:33 PM 11/1/2005, you wrote:
                    >As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                    >since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting out a
                    >call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where your
                    >interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                    >with a particular school or group.
                    >
                    >Sarah S. Uthoff

                    Sarah,

                    I apologize for taking so long to respond with my introduction. I am
                    generally a lurker in this group. Although I do not teach (but do have a
                    teaching degree in early childhood pre-K through 5th grade, secondary
                    education grades 7-12, and adult education), work with a one room schools,
                    or a museum, I do research 19th century schools, teaching methods,
                    textbooks, and subject taught. Occasionally, I have done presentations on
                    19th century schools and teachers.

                    In our online business, we sell two sizes of slates, hard to find slate
                    pencils, Spencerian copy books, McGuffey and Ray's textbooks, as well as
                    some miscellaneous text books.

                    I enjoy the posts of others and look forward to continuing reading posts
                    and replys.

                    Virginia Mescher

                    mmescher1@...
                    Visit Ragged Soldier Sutlery and