Re: [oneroom] One Roomers

  • Susan Uthoff
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
      > I'm trying to decide if we should take the school back to just 1913,
      > or to 1913 through 1917. Any advice?

      I'm not going to argue a side, but I wanted to mention a couple of
      thoughts on both sides. For programming, I think a broader span of years
      provides a lot more possibilities, especially with being to take it up
      to WWI. Also, I don't think there would too many changes during that
      time, as there would be from say 1917-1922. Ask yourself what would you
      be doing differently if you doing one school in 1913 and one in 1917. If
      the answer is not much, then it might be just as well to use a range.

      Do you have enough information on your school or schools in your area
      that what you would do to create 1913 would be that different from 1917?
      Did something important happen that would make a clear difference in
      that time (electricity or telephone coming in, a new wave of immigrants
      from a different culture, etc.)? Do you have something concrete from
      that period (a photo, an inventory, an auction list) that would make a
      really accurate point in time? Those would argue for one particular
      year. One year also makes it easier to decide whether you have this
      artifact or product or not on display and you don't have to have so many
      compromises (what year on a calendar, map [they changed a lot during
      those years], books you have).

      Sarah Uthoff
    • Langs
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
        Sarah-thanks so much for your input! I'll mull it over some more... Julie