Re: [oneroom] One Roomers

  • Langs
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
      Thanks Maureen, I really appreciate your advice. Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
        > I'm trying to decide if we should take the school back to just 1913,
        > or to 1913 through 1917. Any advice?

        I'm not going to argue a side, but I wanted to mention a couple of
        thoughts on both sides. For programming, I think a broader span of years
        provides a lot more possibilities, especially with being to take it up
        to WWI. Also, I don't think there would too many changes during that
        time, as there would be from say 1917-1922. Ask yourself what would you
        be doing differently if you doing one school in 1913 and one in 1917. If
        the answer is not much, then it might be just as well to use a range.

        Do you have enough information on your school or schools in your area
        that what you would do to create 1913 would be that different from 1917?
        Did something important happen that would make a clear difference in
        that time (electricity or telephone coming in, a new wave of immigrants
        from a different culture, etc.)? Do you have something concrete from
        that period (a photo, an inventory, an auction list) that would make a
        really accurate point in time? Those would argue for one particular
        year. One year also makes it easier to decide whether you have this
        artifact or product or not on display and you don't have to have so many
        compromises (what year on a calendar, map [they changed a lot during
        those years], books you have).

        Sarah Uthoff
      • Langs
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
          Sarah-thanks so much for your input! I'll mull it over some more... Julie